FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Banham M2002 Disassembly

<<

tumbl3r

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:25 pm

Banham M2002 Disassembly

So I have this Banham M2002 on loan from a very kind person in London. He has asked me to pick it on camera if I can, but if I can't to make a disassembly video of it. Although I have not picked it open yet, it has responded well to picking, and I am cautiously optimistic that I may be able to open it. If / when that happens, I want to be prepared to gut it, which I am nowhere near ready for now. I spent a little while with it today, but really have no idea on how to proceed getting into it. best I've done thus far is get the large, brass outside ring off. Anyone here know how to disassemble these locks? Below are some photos:

IMG_5506.jpg

IMG_5504.jpg

IMG_5502.jpg

IMG_5501.jpg

Thanks guys!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

tumbl3r

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:54 pm

Re: Banham M2002 Disassembly

Based on a little thinking and looking around the internet for photos it seems as if the core MAY unscrew from the outer sleeve making up the euro cylinder. Removing the hex set screw and a fair amount of force to turn the core does not result in any movement though, so I'm thinking heating it may be the next plan. In the photos I have seen, there is some red material on the threads.

Still not entirely sure if this is the case, but it seems like a logical next step.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:08 am

Dunno if you've tried to insert the key and pull it while rotating the plug, after removing the hex screw.

Good luck :)
<<

tumbl3r

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:14 pm

Thanks femurat! That was the first thing I tried, but to no avail. I will report back if the heating strategy works. There is so little info on these locks that I will do a nice writeup on them if I'm ever able to get it apart.
<<

tumbl3r

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:06 pm

OK, so not too much activity on this one. I'm assuming that most folks have just not had their hands on one of these. I did eventually figure out how to get it apart. I will post a full writeup with photos at some point, but for now, if anyone is curious, there is a second set screw and pin below the first. Removing this and the pin, releases the core, which slides out as a single unit.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:16 pm

I didn't expect a set screw under another set screw. Screw ception lol

Dunno if this is common in banham locks or someone who had the lock before you added another screw. Good to know.

Cheers :)

Return to Hi-Security Locks