FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

L.I Austin / Longhorn Lockpicking - Austin, TX

<<

jgor

Post Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:59 pm

L.I Austin / Longhorn Lockpicking - Austin, TX

Howdy folks. Thought I'd introduce my group in case anyone is in or one day has the pleasure of finding themselves near Austin, TX.

The Longhorn Lockpicking Club (Locksport International - Austin chapter) was founded on campus at the University of Texas at Austin in 2006, by Doug Farre (now president of Locksport International). By 2008 we had 150 registered members and were one of the largest single hobbyist lockpick groups in the U.S., to my knowledge. Nowadays we still meet at least once a month and have anywhere between 5 and 20 people per meeting. We've traditionally held lecture style on-campus meetings (mostly aimed at students), but we've also always had our "informal" meetings at a local cafe/bar called Spider House.

The Fall 2013 semester is just finishing up, so we're taking this opportunity to change up the meeting format a bit and simplify. Starting this Saturday (12/14) we'll be meeting every other Saturday, 7pm at Spider House. That's it. No more lecture halls, weekday meetings, reserving rooms on campus, etc. My hope is that this will be easier on the student members/officers with difficult course loads during the week, more inviting (and easier to get to) for non-students, and take some of the pressure off of officers to prepare lecture content for each meeting. The atmosphere is more relaxed and informal, just hanging out in the cafe patio picking locks with peers, which is always what I had envisioned for the group. So we'll see how it goes.

Easiest way to keep up with our schedule is to join the meetup group here: http://meetup.com/li-austin. There's also a Facebook group if that's your thing, just search for Longhorn Lockpicking. Our meetings have always been and will always be open to everyone (as long as I have a say in it), so if you find yourself in the Austin area we'd love to see you at the meetings!

L.I Austin / Longhorn Lockpicking Club
(Every other) Saturday, 7pm
Spider House Cafe - 2908 Fruth St, Austin, TX 78705
http://meetup.com/li-austin
<<

TheAdvancedNoob

Familiar Face

Post Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:13 pm

Re: L.I Austin / Longhorn Lockpicking - Austin, TX

I wish I lived closer. It sounds like a lot of fun

Return to Groups