FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Big Brother Black Box

<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:00 am

Big Brother Black Box

<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:00 am

Re: Big Brother Black Box

If it is not possible to remove the device then sabotage it.
<<

Eleven

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:26 am

Remember folks don't forget to spay or nuter your politician. :kickyoass:
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:21 pm

Dear God, what's the world coming to? I had an insurance quote the other week and it was dependent on installing one of these bullshit boxes. I get tracked enough, why the hell would I want my movements examined in even more detail. I know WHY the do it but it'll be inevitably misused.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:19 pm

Are you guys actually surprised? I'm not.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:42 pm

hmmm, mixed feelings here. It would help in custody disputes, which Im currently engaged in, but the data WILL be missused. Luckily, I dont believe in buying new cars. Im a classic car kinda guy. Only problem for me is, I will have to FAKE having that box in my car. Where the hell has our right to privacy been placed? Can anyone please help me find it?
<<

pickafication

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:20 pm

soon enough you will have to take a blood test everytime you start your car.
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:55 am

pickafication wrote:soon enough you will have to take a blood test everytime you start your car.

then I will ride a bike and build my stamina up for the inevitable nuclear and zombie apacolypse. Rule #1- Cardio. Poor fat bastard...
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:47 am

mister sour wrote:Rule #1- Cardio. Poor fat bastard...

Damn right. Half hour a day baby. :hbg:
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:15 am

mister sour wrote:hmmm, mixed feelings here. It would help in custody disputes, which Im currently engaged in, but the data WILL be missused. Luckily, I dont believe in buying new cars. Im a classic car kinda guy. Only problem for me is, I will have to FAKE having that box in my car. Where the hell has our right to privacy been placed? Can anyone please help me find it?

We the sheeple gave it up a long time ago starting with traffic stops where cops ask "if you don't have anything to hide why don't you want me looking in your car?" Never just give up your rights because you don't have anything to hide. Exercise your rights because they are already going into atrophy. Exercise your rights so you can tell your grandchildren how before our Dear Leader Obama decided there wouldn't be any more elections we had rights.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:44 am

Most people don't realize but most modern cars already have that "black box" capability, to some degree. Sounds like they're trying to standardize it, perhaps in terms of what it records, how much it records and lay down rules for who can access it under what circumstances. I'm curious how long it takes them before they want to interface it with onboard GPS systems to keep a log of everywhere you've been in the car.

As it is today if you have a recent model car, if you take your car in for servicing they can plug it into their computer and talk to the computer under your hood and find out certain stats, like what is the highest speed your car has driven recently, highest RPM, trouble codes if there has been an engine problem, etc. If there has been a collision it can often tell them what your speed was at the time of collision, if your headlights were on and things like that. That data can already be accessed by the police with a court order, but from what I've seen it's rarely done. At least so far.

Current car computers under your hood have limited memory so that data is being constantly overwritten so only the most recent data is kept in memory. As cheap as flash memory has gotten though, it would only take a few bucks for them to give it enough memory to allow it to record and retain months or even years worth of data.

I know one auto maker even experimented with passenger compartment audio recording in your "black box". From what I understand it only retained a few seconds of data which was constantly being rewritten over and over but I've never been able to get anyone who could tell me how many seconds of data was kept onboard at any one time, if this was installed in any production cars or only in some test models used by company employees. Because obviously there are certain wiretapping laws that would apply here. Not surprisingly, the most common words uttered right before a collision are "oh shit".
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:22 am

MBI wrote:Most people don't realize but most modern cars already have that "black box" capability, to some degree. Sounds like they're trying to standardize it, perhaps in terms of what it records, how much it records and lay down rules for who can access it under what circumstances. I'm curious how long it takes them before they want to interface it with onboard GPS systems to keep a log of everywhere you've been in the car.

As it is today if you have a recent model car, if you take your car in for servicing they can plug it into their computer and talk to the computer under your hood and find out certain stats, like what is the highest speed your car has driven recently, highest RPM, trouble codes if there has been an engine problem, etc. If there has been a collision it can often tell them what your speed was at the time of collision, if your headlights were on and things like that. That data can already be accessed by the police with a court order, but from what I've seen it's rarely done. At least so far.

Current car computers under your hood have limited memory so that data is being constantly overwritten so only the most recent data is kept in memory. As cheap as flash memory has gotten though, it would only take a few bucks for them to give it enough memory to allow it to record and retain months or even years worth of data.

I know one auto maker even experimented with passenger compartment audio recording in your "black box". From what I understand it only retained a few seconds of data which was constantly being rewritten over and over but I've never been able to get anyone who could tell me how many seconds of data was kept onboard at any one time, if this was installed in any production cars or only in some test models used by company employees. Because obviously there are certain wiretapping laws that would apply here. Not surprisingly, the most common words uttered right before a collision are "oh shit".

You guys in the States are lucky, over here in the UK we have a massive ANPR (automatic numberplate recognition) camera system. What it does it records EVERY car that ever drives past it and records it in a database. As all the reg numbers are linked to the owners this gives them a record of everywhere you've ever been in your car and at what time! Well, for the last 6 years anyway - that's how long they hold onto the data for. There are over 20,000 cameras (I think) and it's a small country. They're on all the main roads and motorways. Crap place to be right now and it's only gonna get worse.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:24 am

OnStar can be used by the police and has been by the FBI without warrants to record conversations in a car without the occupants knowledge. OnStar is everything you should be afraid of because it can tell them where you have been at exactly what time and what your speed was etc. Never trade freedom for anything, not for security or for convenience.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:35 am

when they first brought out onstar you could just unplug it,which made it pritty useless,i heard.
If they introduce it with gps tracking as well,that wont be good,everone will be driving around with blockers in there cars.
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:25 am

So how are these things un hackable? we should buy a few copies to give to that Cody Brocius, the guy who stuck an arduino cable into the onity hotel locks.
like any other data on the internet this one likely can be made to confirm what you want it to. No doubt the spooks already are working on it.
Next

Return to Current Events