FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Locksport growing in the US

<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:08 am

Locksport growing in the US

Not a bad little read , hope you like it

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/2 ... 61773.html
<<

whizdumb

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:03 am

Re: Locksport growing in the US

uklockpicker wrote:Not a bad little read , hope you like it

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/2 ... 61773.html

Link broken..
Whizdumb81 wrote:You can't handle the DCAP
xe0 wrote:how about a peterson gov steel baseball bat so i can thwap motherfuckers
ecksdee wrote:To learn to pick locks is to learn how to speak a language spoken only in whispers and riddles.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HobbyPicker
<<

Wizer

Familiar Face

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:15 am

<<

whizdumb

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:49 am

Thanks wizer... I have to frown upon what the guy says at the end of the article.. He says that even if he picks a lock that he'd be unable to find the valuables inside the house (he's blind) thats not a good arguement because thats really a bad excuse unless you are blind.. it makes it seem like visual abled folks would be picking locks to try and find valuables.. either way the article is good read... Although I don't know who elected Towne as the spokesperson for locksport in the US.. that guy is such a toool (pun intended) that can't even produce picks even after being funded more money then he could dream of.. I think that most of the folks on here could outpick him.
Whizdumb81 wrote:You can't handle the DCAP
xe0 wrote:how about a peterson gov steel baseball bat so i can thwap motherfuckers
ecksdee wrote:To learn to pick locks is to learn how to speak a language spoken only in whispers and riddles.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HobbyPicker
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:47 am

whizdumb81 wrote:Although I don't know who elected Towne as the spokesperson for locksport in the US..
I'm pretty sure he wasn't elected.. Though, if you ever meet him in person. You'd understand. He's got a great personality and is fanatical about locks.

whizdumb81 wrote:that guy is such a toool (pun intended) that can't even produce picks even after being funded more money then he could dream of..
I have no idea what's happening with that project of his. ...Maybe his ambitions were a little too high?! I don't know.

whizdumb81 wrote:I think that most of the folks on here could outpick him.
:agree: However, picking ability doesn't make or break a good spokesperson for locksport.

All I'm saying is that Towne is a really good guy. And when it comes to making locksport much more acceptable publicly. He puts forth far more effort than anybody else I know.
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:42 pm

does anyone have a link to him with alex trebrek
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:41 pm

old article but its a good one. i met him at a talk at HacDC, a local hacker space. He is a nice guy and great at teaching a group of people about locks. the kickstarter project is taking much longer than i'd have liked but shit happens and i can wait. :D
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:11 pm

Farmerfreak wrote:
whizdumb81 wrote:Although I don't know who elected Towne as the spokesperson for locksport in the US..
I'm pretty sure he wasn't elected.. Though, if you ever meet him in person. You'd understand. He's got a great personality and is fanatical about locks.

All I'm saying is that Towne is a really good guy. And when it comes to making locksport much more acceptable publicly. He puts forth far more effort than anybody else I know.

Not elected, but as you say he's passionate about locks. He once told me it's his personal goal to bring locksport out of the shadows and into public acceptance so we're no longer looked at as subversives. I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist of it. I don't necessarily agree with everything he says on the subject, but I believe his intentions are good.

We haven't put out an issue of NDE Magazine in over three years, but we still get periodic requests emailed to us through the site from news organizations wanting to interview someone on subjects related to lockpicking, bumping and such. I'm not terribly interested in doing it, John is in the UK, so those requests all pretty much fall to Schuyler to handle. Then, things snowball. Once his name is out there from doing a few interviews, you start googling the subject and his name comes up more and more, leading to more requests for statements or interviews.

I can't speak for his Kickstarter project as I have nothing to do with that. But I can understand both his and the investors frustrations due to the delays.
<<

edsmiley

Contributor - Research & Development Kingpin
Contributor - Research & Development Kingpin

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:53 pm

Farmerfreak wrote:

Thanks for the post FF. I can get that just by talking with him on Twitter or exchanging emails with him.

whizdumb81 wrote: that guy is such a toool (pun intended) that can't even produce picks even after being funded more money then he could dream of.. I think that most of the folks on here could outpick him.

Getting more orders and more money does not necessarily make it easier to produce picks. Not like he expected to make 500 sets for $6k and got $87k for those 500 sets instead.

The thing to keep in mind is that lockpicking is not only what is the hardest lock you can pick. Plenty of people love to learn and experiment about all things lock related and are not considered the best pickers in the world. Those people can share just as much information and perhaps sometimes even more than others that are better pickers. I think we need to get away from using which locks people pick as an indicator of what they can share in this great community.

After reading Huxleypig's post (http://keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5761), I think that any positive press about any respected member of our community that indicates we are not a bunch of criminals is helpful to giving an understanding of what makes us interested in this hobby.

My 2 cents,
Ed

Return to Current Events