FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

RCI electric latch and stuff idk what is

<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:00 pm

RCI electric latch and stuff idk what is

so my contractor cousin/lock hunter extraordinaire gave me some new locks today, along with this thing pictured here. i don't have any use for it, but considering there are more than a few professional locksmiths that frequent this site i thought id put it up to see if anyone can use this thing. i dont know if its complete or what so if you have any questions shoot me a pm. id like to trade it for a lock or two assuming it has some value.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

jdonnelly

Post Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:17 am

Re: RCI electric latch and stuff idk what is

Its an electric door strike, it goes along with the push bars you see on some doors to go out. If someone wanted into a building they would push a door bell button the person on the other end would push a button realeasing the door so they may enter.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:02 am

You should install it on your front door.
Then you could just "Buzz" people in.
Bet ya no one else on the block has one.
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:56 am

hehe thats not a bad idea jharv :D

if any locksmiths on here could use this let me know, id let it go reeeeal cheap
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:29 am

We use those all over on our campus at the college where I work, albeit ours are different brands. One thing to know is just what you have there. Does it say on the package what the solenoid voltage is? Also does it say if it's fail safe or fail secure? Mark
"It never fails - as soon as I find the key to success, somebody changes the lock!"
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:24 am

on the piece of paper near the end of the connector looks like 12vdc.
Fail safe = unlocked when power off??
Fail secure = locked when power off??
Not sure on that being correct.??
Also I wonder why it would matter if it were mounted in a frame with a knob which could have a storeroom function.
Maybe this is a question for another thread.
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:40 am

in response to oldbiscuit, its says 12-24VAC 12 or 24 VDC on the label. it says its a series 6 on the pamphlet inside. lets see....it also says field selectable and low profile on the label. that's all i see, nothing about fail safe or safe safe secure : /
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:59 am

rerun12 wrote:in response to oldbiscuit, its says 12-24VAC 12 or 24 VDC on the label. it says its a series 6 on the pamphlet inside. lets see....it also says field selectable and low profile on the label. that's all i see, nothing about fail safe or safe safe secure : /

Field selectable would indicate most likely it is fail secure and can easily be changed to fail safe.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:39 am

lol ! simply put does the latch move with your finger when no power is going to unit-in box

electricity needs to flow to unit to lock and then be broken-cut again once installed to unlock via a switch or button :D

please note it is only the strike-latch that is controlled via electricity on door jamb not the ...lock in door & bypass or picking is still possible

lets have a look at a different one ( inside ) that is common in Europe ..see the blocking element is engaged - locked .. when no power is flowing to unit

saves on power but not fail safe as power is needed to unlock
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:47 pm

thanks for all the info about these things, i love the free knowledge you friendly people share with us on here :)

also, today i received a handful of similar latches plus another cool electrical lock related...thing idk what is. ill post some pics tomorrow. i sure hope someone on here can use em, id let em go for real cheap

Return to Buy, Sell, or Trade - Non-Lockpicking Items