FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Software against government surveillance

<<

ARF-GEF

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:06 pm

Software against government surveillance

Hey guys!

I heard about this really cool open-source program which scans for tracks of government used surveillance tools on your laptop, the kind virus scanners don't detect.

I thought this is something you would like and be interested in.
Of course it probably doesn't detect the top level or the custom things but it is said to find traces of a lot.
It's made as a cooperation between Amnesty International, EFF, Privacy International and some other similar foundations.

It takes a while for it to finish the scan, and you can't use the computer or have it on-line for that time, but I think it's cool stuff.
They plan an android version of it if they can get the funds for making it.

So here is a longer Q&A
http://www.amnesty.org/en/news/detekt-new-tool-against-government-surveillance-questions-and-answers-2014-11-20

And this is the site where you get the basics and download it:
https://resistsurveillance.org/

If you are interested try to download and use it soonish, I guess the makers of the surveillance programs are working to update against it, and they are not sure if they will get enough donations to continue keeping the scanner up to date.

Long time no see to most of you, sorry life is keeping me extremely busy (in a good way) so my hobbies had to be pushed back a "bit" :( .
To infinity... and beyond!
=== WARNING DANGER OF TYPOS!===
Arfspeak: calnin cladycomes: you allow her key in themodning
Equals in plain English: cleaning lady comes: you allow her key in the morning
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:04 pm

Re: Software against government surveillance

Good work ARF! I am D/L'ing it now.
<<

Neilau

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:33 pm

Don’t want to appear paranoid but if the app gives you a clean “bill of health” how do you know that it is correct?

Is there a spy ware program that it does not know about?

With all the skullduggery that goes on, on the internet how do you know that it has not just installed spyware. Unless you can see (and understand) the source code, you are just taking it on trust.

Back in the 90s when people wanted to hide their identity they would go through anonymiser proxies, then it was discovered that a lot of them were actually run by security agencies.

More recently it has come out that the TOR network was funded and developed by the FBI so that THEY could communicate securely. Think they can’t monitor it? They just took down silk road 2.

All I’m saying is that there are no guarantees.

Here’s a scary site.

https://www.google.com/settings/ads?hl=en&sig=ACi0TChBneTO7wy-I6hk4jA0q5s4cCQdtGn4WWmz9mhG02fxp1thwwDy0rNB_P8K-VF2O1Z5g_tt6_oR4mpQXh4epaRoIoPfrw

PS HP what have you been up to, to think that you might be being monitored???

Perhaps Cricket Australia is looking spying on you. :mrgreen:
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

ForSquirel

Familiar Face

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:08 pm

Neilau wrote:Don’t want to appear paranoid but if the app gives you a clean “bill of health” how do you know that it is correct?

Being open source you could examine what it's looking for and see for yourself.

Neilau wrote:With all the skullduggery that goes on, on the internet how do you know that it has not just installed spyware. Unless you can see (and understand) the source code, you are just taking it on trust.

So true

Neilau wrote:Back in the 90s when people wanted to hide their identity they would go through anonymiser proxies, then it was discovered that a lot of them were actually run by security agencies.

More recently it has come out that the TOR network was funded and developed by the FBI so that THEY could communicate securely. Think they can’t monitor it? They just took down silk road 2.

Actually I believe it was the Navy and the FBI used known flaws to find the Silk Road people. IIRC they flooded it with IP requests until the real IP slipped through.
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:48 pm

Neilau wrote:Don’t want to appear paranoid but if the app gives you a clean “bill of health” how do you know that it is correct?

The link to Amnesty International's description of the software emphasises that getting a clean bill of health from this software does NOT mean you are safe. They are clear that there are existing spyware packages it cannot detect & that the corporations that make this spyware for governments will quickly work to hide their intrusions from this package.

...Mark

Return to HAL 3000 - Computer Geeks