FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

USB Analogue-to-Digital Video Converter Recommendation

<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:13 am

USB Analogue-to-Digital Video Converter Recommendation

I need a recommendation on a good analogue-to-digital converter so that I can transfer/convert a VHS tape to digital format on my PC. I bought EZCap and despite all my efforts the digital video is black-and-white. Any purchase recommendations on a unit such as this would be highly appreciated.

"What does he want to transfer?" some of you may be wondering. Well, I have -- what I think -- is an important part of hobbyist lockpicking/lock-sport history: "Personal Picks" by Eddie The Wire from 1988, originally published by Loompanics. It is Eddie the Wire making picks and tension wrenches! Besides the novelty value of seeing the man, Eddie's books were seminal in the emergence of locksport and hobby lockpicking i.e. lockpicking outside of the then closed locksmithing community, in the 1980s. I want to preserve the contents of the VHS tape because it was a rare find that I made a few years ago and I have not seen it in circulation anywhere.

<rant>
I also think that Eddie has not been given the credit he deserves in the culture of custom pick making. All of the basics are in the video and in his books. Forget "Pyros" "Making Locpicks" on YouTube, which is the most referenced video on the topic. Eddie was making picks from feeler gauge stock in the early 1980s. Pyro's video was uploaded in 2004, post-lockpicking101.com.
</rant>
<<

gnarus8429

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:10 am

Re: USB Analogue-to-Digital Video Converter Recommendation

Another option would be to play it back into a DVD recorder and then rip the unprotected DVD. It works like a charm and is fairly high quality. The key to maintaining quality is to have a decent a VHS player that is of good quality and plays your tape back with no noise in the picture. It should be better quality and cheaper than dealing with a video capture device. We used to do this for surveillance system tapes back when the analogue to digital switch was going on. If you have any questions on hooking that up let me know.
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
-Albert Einstein

Return to HAL 3000 - Computer Geeks