FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Email Provider

<<

sandman

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:16 am

Email Provider

while in converstion with another picker no the site, the question of a secure email provider came from me,..in the past, there had been people who were able to gain access to my emails, through use of social engineering (not on my end, a relative) to gain access, and possibly a trojan horse with some type of (insert smart geek computer term her).

i now understand my laziness in password security, how to go around the inevitable security questions that yahoo requires you to make for a back up, and setting up a free acount with no personal info to begin with. i was very stupid and lazy about my protection until it was compromised.

so i wanted to get a few opinions on free email providers.

i understand that gmail, and operamail have been suggested thus far for their ability to hide isp and such.

i am now using a keyencryption opensource for obtaining a 120bit encryption for my passwords.

so im getting better at my use of passwords, not providing stupid security questions as backdoors, and a few other things,

just wanted to know what your thoughts on the subject were,

go easy on me, im an idiot.
<<

ChonkyTonks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:48 am

Re: Email Provider

Sandman,

You are speaking my language. There are some things that you should consider when it comes to passwords for online accounts that should help you with your overall query here:

1. Never use just numbers for your password. It would not take someone long to crack said numerical code.
2. If you are going to use personal information (birthdate, first/middle/surname, etc) try your best to add to them so that they are not easily crackable by someone. For example, "2010JohnDoe" will be harder to crack if you just add, "!2010JohnDoe".
3. Make individual passwords for each site using a visual reminder for said password. For example, if I use Wells Fargo to do my banking (thankfully, I do not), I might use a password like, "W3ll5F@rG05ucK$". This is an easy way to not use the same password with every site, thus making it impossible for someone to get all of your accounts should he/she crack your password.
4. Always try to use a secure channel (https/SSL) with the site. If a site wants you to login to their site without https, it is not worth having an account at that site. If I was sitting in the same coffee shop as you, on the same wireless access point, I could get your username/password from a non-https site.
5. You can always use a password keeper that is encrypted or a service like LastPass. This will help to maintain the security of your passwords at rest and (with LastPass) in transit.
6. In gmail, I believe you can now enable two-factor authentication where you supply your username and password and then, upon clicking "login", you will get a one-time-passode delivered to your phone via sms. This is a great way to enhance the overall security of your session.

Now, when it comes to secure email, there are a few things to consider:

1. Gmail does allow for you to always enable https/ssl for accessing your account. Given, they are good about hashing/masking the password for an account that is not using https/ssl, but it is still a far better practice to enable said feature.
2. Gmail allows for two-factor auth, as I stated above.
3. Gmail shows you a list of account activity for a specified duration. This helps you see if there is any odd access to your account.
4. Rumor has it that Microsoft did enable https/ssl for hotmail, but has since taken it down so that the FBI/NSA can see what is coming/going. I do not use hotmail, but that would certainly be a reason not to use it.

I will not get into encrypting emails unless you want me to get into that. Hope this helps.

-ChonkyTonks
<<

sandman

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:21 am

excellent review and suggestions! thank you for the time you put into my question! as i mentioned early, the opensource keyencryption im using, i just finished changing all of my current passwords to 130bit encryptions. and leaving no back doors through security questions.

the current keyencyption software im using keeps a file in my docs, one that i accidently erased one time, fuked me hardcore! through the use of a back up external, hidden files, and encrypted documents that hold my backdoor passwords, im 100% ready to encrypt the shit outta everywhere i go, and not fear losing the keyencryption file on my computer lol like i did last time. fuk im an idiot lol

the encrypting emails will be good with my friends in the military, for their emails are filtered for EVERYTHING, and nothing is private then. other than that, going from yahoo to gmail will definitly be an upgrade. thanx for the advice chonky!
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:53 pm

Everbody knows by know that I am no computer geek at all, but I always thought that a person shouldn't use Gmail, reason I was told was that lots of spammers use gmail accounts for some reason and many people have gmail accounts routed to there junk file in there email. Am I wrong? I was told that the way gmail is set up, it is easy for spammers to set up accounts.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

ChonkyTonks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:13 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:Everbody knows by know that I am no computer geek at all, but I always thought that a person shouldn't use Gmail, reason I was told was that lots of spammers use gmail accounts for some reason and many people have gmail accounts routed to there junk file in there email. Am I wrong? I was told that the way gmail is set up, it is easy for spammers to set up accounts.

I was speaking to the effectiveness of gmail at maintaining a higher level of security as it pertains to your own personal email account. Certainly, they could be host to a myriad of spammer accounts, but I think the same goes for any free email service. The important portion of this discussion is finding a tool that allows you to have an email account, but also has a number of security features which will keep it from being compromised. Certainly, there are a number of vectors that can be used for gaining access to an account and gmail can only do so much to safeguard said account. The owner of said account also needs to educate his/herself regarding proper measures to take when online to insure the topmost level of security.

Return to HAL 3000 - Computer Geeks