FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Linux Quick question.

<<

Neilau

Post Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:07 pm

Linux Quick question.

Any of you guys use a Linux distro?

If so, which one or ones do you use?
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

LockManipulator

Post Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:31 pm

Re: Linux Quick question.

I'm learning my way around Kali and the tools it has. Studying to be a penetration tester and even though I'm pretty much only interested in the physical side, I figure that learning the computer side won't hurt.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:58 pm

Both the wife and myself are running Fedora XFCE desktop on our laptops (and have been for almost 2 years)
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

Josephus

Post Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:36 am

Any. I use whatever is available or convenient for purpose. But like Anarchy I favor lightweight desktop environments.

The real choice these days is which package management you prefer. Rpm, apt, deb, and well... everything else.

Kali is special in that it is exclusively designed from the ground up for offensive security and similar tasks. Some people use it for daily use but it's kind of a pain. Bad for security too considering doing nearly anything interesting requires root. Don't be like me. Don't run as root.

A good way to try out a bunch is use VMs. Make half a dozen and see which one you like...or just keep using them that way.
<<

whizdumb

Post Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:49 am

So as to not get overwhelmed by changing environments, If you are coming from a windows system and want to try out Linux, I would recommend either Ubuntu or Linux Mint or Zorin.
Whizdumb81 wrote:You can't handle the DCAP
xe0 wrote:how about a peterson gov steel baseball bat so i can thwap motherfuckers
ecksdee wrote:To learn to pick locks is to learn how to speak a language spoken only in whispers and riddles.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HobbyPicker
<<

twenglish 1

Post Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:56 am

I have been running Ubuntu on my laptop's for probably 4 years, no more windows for me, absolutely love it, I was given one laptop cause the windows os had failed, tried repairing it no luck, a full reinstall would have solved the problem but then I'd have to find all the right drivers and everything to make it usable, I just went and installed Ubuntu, all hardware was supported, didn't have to install one driver, been using it ever since works flawlessly
<<

dmasters

Familiar Face

Post Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:16 am

For a full-featured distro my vote is Mint all the way, it has a couple different flavors depending on the hardware capabilities and user needs. I run it in a VM on my main rig, on the workbench laptop and on a netbook. I was an Ubuntu fanboy until... Unity... *blech*, but I still rock Lubuntu (lightweight, KDE) on an old Dell laptop. I also keep a Knoppix Live CD and a downright ancient 256MB flash drive with Damn Small Linux (DSL) handy for emergencies.

Yes, I have a lot of computers... I might have a problem...
<<

twenglish 1

Post Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:08 am

Ubuntu hasn't been really giving my any major problems, but like you said unity was giving me some trouble on my one laptop, I just changed the default desktop to the regilar gnome, kinda wanna try something different, may download a mint live CD and give it a try. I have a few laptops dual booting Ubuntu and Windows, as of now I just have one laptop running Ubuntu and a supermicro server running nas4free and the various other windows computers in the house
<<

Neilau

Post Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:03 pm

Thanks, guys, for the feedback.

I have been using KX Studio (a Ubuntu based distro with a bunch of AV software) on a fairly new notebook for about six months.

Must say that I really like it. I got the notebook and it had Win 10 on it . It originally came with win 8.1 I looked at putting Win 7 on it but was going to have trouble finding a couple of drivers so loaded KX.

Once I learnt how to install software and the file system....... I love it !!!!

I said it once before here and got scoffed at, but I'll say it again.... Win 10 will be the end of Windows as an operating system.

MAN what a POS !!!!

Any one here using 10 ???

BTW Mint looks nice.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

dontlook

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:03 pm

I run ubuntu or xubuntu . I have used many more distros but not currently.
<<

Logan

Familiar Face

Post Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:35 pm

I run a lightweight, faster and compact version of Ubuntu called Lubuntu in my day to day goings on, If you like the ease of use and style of windows Mint is an easy transition, I love messing around with Kali but would not recommend it unless you know your way around Linux already and have a need for pen testing tools.
I also sometimes run Edubuntu, Ubuntu Studio and even Ubuntu Satanic (around Halloween), Puppy Linux and some other rescue distros that I can't remember the names of from live usbs.
All and all the best of the best for new users for ease of use and support are Mint and Ubuntu each come in few desktop environment flavors as well.

My Desktop (few theme tweaks)
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... sin4zr.png
"My only definite plan is that in the future I'm definitely just using this screwdriver for screwing in screws" -The Doctor

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐
<<

caveman

Post Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:45 am

i run zorin os 9 64 bit
<<

thegurkha

Post Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:57 am

I use Manjaro. I find it less bloated than most distros and for me, it absolutely flies along. I used Ubuntu for over a decade and swapped to Manjaro about a year ago.

Return to HAL 3000 - Computer Geeks