FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Cold Steel Sure Flight Throwing Knives!!!

<<

LockManipulator

Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:25 am

Cold Steel Sure Flight Throwing Knives!!!

Not sure who else is into knife throwing but I just got into it and it's so fun! I do it just for fun, I'm not really expecting the skill to come in handy much but you never know lol

2014-08-14-111630.jpg

I just ordered 3 Sure Flight throwing knives from Cold Steel and I have to say, they're amazing! I was just using some cheap small throwers from ebay (6.5in) and these are a huge step up (12in and much heavier)! I bought 3 of them, one came with the very teeny tiny part of the tip broken but 3 min with a file and that was fixed. These knives are sturdy and basically indestructible. I have to get a new target since these tore it up! I was using a wooden pallet that I rearranged the wood into a solid block. But the thin wood planks couldn't stand up to these knives. Now I have to make a real target!

Sorry for the dim lighting but you can see how badly these knives messed it up lol That hole at the bottom was actually caused by the handle!

2014-08-14-112152.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:43 am

Re: Cold Steel Sure Flight Throwing Knives!!!

You must be really good, cause the glass door behind isn't broken. :smile:
<<

flywheel

Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:13 am

Hibben throwing knives. Found them cheap, so why not?
It can be very addictive when every knife is sticking. Thunk, thunk, thunk, thunk, thunk, thunk...CLANG! You can chop through wood quickly with these. Holding the handle and throwing with 1/2 rotation is the goal. Once you can do that consistently the distance doesn't matter as much. That skill eludes me so I was holding the point and throwing from a set distance 1.5 rotations.
2014-08-14 08.46.52.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

LockManipulator

Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:00 pm

jharveee wrote:You must be really good, cause the glass door behind isn't broken. :smile:

lol i just put it there for the picture. I set it up outside against a lawn chair. That chair is broken now :/ Went straight through the target and cut the chair back lol.

flywheel wrote:Hibben throwing knives. Found them cheap, so why not?
It can be very addictive when every knife is sticking. Thunk, thunk, thunk, thunk, thunk, thunk...CLANG! You can chop through wood quickly with these. Holding the handle and throwing with 1/2 rotation is the goal. Once you can do that consistently the distance doesn't matter as much. That skill eludes me so I was holding the point and throwing from a set distance 1.5 rotations.

Yeah, I'm trying to get consistent with my 1 rotation distance as well as trying no spin techniques. It takes a while to get used to the feeling! I've heard good things about Hibben throwers too, that's a nice choice
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:12 pm

Go to a lumber yard or landscaping place and get a railroad tie. Dig a two-foot deep hole and bury one end of the tie, with the rest sticking straight up. The target will last for years of practice.

Heck, one lasted me for five years as a teenager, throwing daily. Knives, hatchets, shuriken, even nails and screwdrivers. Anything that can be thrown. Yes, a nail thrown right will stick, though it obviously won't bury itself very deep in the wood.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:06 pm

A friend gave me a copy of this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Combat-Knife-Th ... 1581606567 if you are new to knife throwing or interested in different styles its worth a read.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

flywheel

Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:41 pm

I haven't thrown in a while but I was really pleased how quickly they started sticking again. Once your target begins to splinter you can blast a knife through a 2x4. A foot higher and I would have been hitting my aim point.
2014-08-14 17.24.11.jpg
2014-08-14 17.21.08.jpg
<<

LockManipulator

Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:51 pm

Haha wow looks like you need a new target too
<<

Neilau

Post Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:57 am

Thanks Flywheel -- I hadn't seen the Hibbard Tanto point throwers before.

His regular sets are fantastic and can also be used as knives. Had the three set years ago - passed them on.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:41 pm

I've never tried throwing knives, but after reading this thread, I'm starting to look for a decent beginner set of knives!

-Mike
I have an amazing grasp of the obvious. Beyond that, not so much.
<<

LockManipulator

Post Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:57 pm

Mikeh727 wrote:I've never tried throwing knives, but after reading this thread, I'm starting to look for a decent beginner set of knives!

-Mike

Check out Xolette on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCDq1p0 ... ujK-uiQghP), she has a 3 part video that goes through the best knives in each price range. Personally, I highly recommend the cold steel sure flight, they feel solid and are made solid too. I haven't tried it, but the boker bailey mini ziel seems to be pretty good as well. The bigger version tends to have the tip break, but it's easy to grind a new tip and the smaller one catches my eye more anyways. The sure flight is a really good price for an actual thrower (not the cheap ebay crap that's $15 for 6 knives) at only $10-15 a knife depending on where you get it. The mini ziel isn't too bad either as I found them for $19 on one website.

My advice: Don't go for anything less than 8in. I got some 6.5in ones and I'm glad I didn't get any that are smaller! Smaller knives are basically just for indoor throwing, you can't throw them as far since they're so light and the wind knocks them around as well. Also, center balanced knives are better imo. You can throw by the handle or blade. Blade heavy knives are only thrown by the handle and vice versa. I also like symmetrical knives since then the knife isn't limited to being thrown a certain way.
<<

flywheel

Post Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:59 pm

Mikeh727 wrote:I've never tried throwing knives, but after reading this thread, I'm starting to look for a decent beginner set of knives!

-Mike

Both the Hibben knife sets have full length sharpened blades which is not really needed for this hobby. I would suggest finding something like what Daggers bought with just a sharpened point. The shorter knives above are a great size and weight at 8.5 inches long. Look for a similar length.

Let me add I found the short set for $12 and they are well worth the price.
Let me add some more; the short knives weigh 5.5 ounces and the long knives weighs 10.6 ounces.

Good luck!
<<

escher7

Post Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:12 am

Gil Hibben write the book on knife throwing:

http://www.amazon.com/complete-Hibben-k ... B0006QZWE2

And his knives are made for throwing, with a softer temper so they don't break. The best knives in my opinion.

Good targets are large tree stumps chainsawed about.6" thick.

Return to Cold Steel