FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Brass knuckles anyone?

<<

Alaphablue

The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!

Post Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: Brass knuckles anyone?

Police used them at one time They are very efficient you can strike any part of the body a persons arms shoulders ribs . They give the lightest punch or hammer fist bone cracking force at least brass or steel ones . Many body guards carry them cause they can drop a person in there tracks through pure blunt force trama . Winston churchhill body guard carried a iron spiked set . I like your brass sets not much for plastic myself very neat
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:01 am

Just finished making my own! Took about 4 fucking hours using a dremel, and it looks like ass. Not bad for a first try though. I used a chopping board because it was cheap, the plastic was the perfect thickness and it's hard as nails too.

Here are some pics I took during the procedure in case anyone is interested... I used a selection of diamond burrs then used a large flat file and some sandpaper to smooth it out as best I could:

Stencil (ended up looking very little like it, lol)

Some holes to make cutting it out faster

Rough shape removed, started widening a couple of the holes (huhuhuh widening the holes)

Finished product
<<

Alaphablue

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:57 am

A big 1/2 inch round file would work very good for those holes and a coping saw would save you a ton of time both are relatively cheap . Remember your first of any project is going to be the roughest Looking so by the looks of those perfect is one pair away .
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:41 pm

Can you smooth out the rough areas with a propane or butane torch? With some plastics, used carefully, you can get a finish that is smooth and glossy. Some plastics don't take it well. Recommend trying it on some scrap first.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:07 pm

Alaphablue wrote:A big 1/2 inch round file would work very good for those holes and a coping saw would save you a ton of time both are relatively cheap . Remember your first of any project is going to be the roughest Looking so by the looks of those perfect is one pair away .

I really should've gone out and bought a coping saw, remember thinking not long into it that it'd be much easier just to saw through it... but of course, typical dumbass solomon decided to just keep going because he was in the zone. :roll:

I couldn't find my round files anywhere, looks like a trip into town is in order! You have faith in me, I like that lol... but yeah I'm sure the next pair will definitely look neater. I'll probably refine these further before I start on the next design to be honest, I just got fed up with all the fine tuning and wanted to actually try them out on the bag lol. 4 hours is long enough if you ask me! :mrgreen:

GWiens2001 wrote:Can you smooth out the rough areas with a propane or butane torch? With some plastics, used carefully, you can get a finish that is smooth and glossy. Some plastics don't take it well. Recommend trying it on some scrap first.

Gordon

I might give that a try on a small section, although I can't afford to get a butane torch on top of the other stuff I need so that'll have to go on the back burner for now (no pun intended).
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:27 pm

Solomon wrote:
Alaphablue wrote:A big 1/2 inch round file would work very good for those holes and a coping saw would save you a ton of time both are relatively cheap . Remember your first of any project is going to be the roughest Looking so by the looks of those perfect is one pair away .

I really should've gone out and bought a coping saw, remember thinking not long into it that it'd be much easier just to saw through it... but of course, typical dumbass solomon decided to just keep going because he was in the zone. :roll:

I couldn't find my round files anywhere, looks like a trip into town is in order! You have faith in me, I like that lol... but yeah I'm sure the next pair will definitely look neater. I'll probably refine these further before I start on the next design to be honest, I just got fed up with all the fine tuning and wanted to actually try them out on the bag lol. 4 hours is long enough if you ask me! :mrgreen:

GWiens2001 wrote:Can you smooth out the rough areas with a propane or butane torch? With some plastics, used carefully, you can get a finish that is smooth and glossy. Some plastics don't take it well. Recommend trying it on some scrap first.

Gordon

I might give that a try on a small section, although I can't afford to get a butane torch on top of the other stuff I need so that'll have to go on the back burner for now (no pun intended).

Speaking of back burner - do you have a gas stove at home? Be careful, but it can work.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:54 pm

Doing a simple search I was able to locate a place that has 377 different ones for sale including the spiked one mentioned.
They have ones to match any mood or outfit. :pimpmofo:
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:10 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Speaking of back burner - do you have a gas stove at home? Be careful, but it can work.

Gordon

Yeah, I've used it to bend steel before but I don't think I'd fancy using it for this. Might just stick to good old files and sandpaper, no chance of melting plastic all over the stove that way :mrgreen:

MrWizard wrote:Doing a simple search I was able to locate a place that has 377 different ones for sale including the spiked one mentioned.
They have ones to match any mood or outfit. :pimpmofo:

I think I know the site you mean; I ordered from them once years ago and it never showed up. Heard that some people even in the US it takes months for anything to arive... that said, they've been in business for probably 10 years now so I'm probably just one of the unlucky few. Even though I do really like their selection and they offer a choice of size, I wouldn't chance ordering from them again. I get these from the same place I get my knives, touch wood I've always received everything within 2 weeks so I'm happy just getting stuff from them as new models come in.
<<

Pickingpaul

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 01, 2013 2:24 pm

darkhorse wrote:Heres mine sol and its caused me way more pain than those of yours.....

It caused sam more trouble, he had to carry your ass up the volcano!
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Wed May 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Finished this one yesterday:

Gonna get myself some aluminium soon, I have a feeling it'll be much easier and neater to work with. The plastic is cool, but it's annoying to work with and difficult to get a smooth finish on - it seems impossible to completely get rid of all the burr. I used a coping saw to cut it out roughly this time, worked a treat so cheers alaphablue for recommending that. Guess which side I did first :mrgreen:

It's a good idea not to get too zealous with the saw though. I cut my finger while sawing away smaller sections later on, only a tiny scratch but it could've been a lot worse!

I really like this design so the first metal one I make will be along the same lines. The finger holes are a little too snug, it's useable but if a punch landed at the wrong angle it'd be really uncomfortable and no doubt scrape my knuckles up. I'll probably use my brass one for scale when I make the next one instead of trying to work within a "perfect" individual finger size. If anyone is wanting to have a go at making these, stencil the finger holes bigger than necessary to start with (ie. length, not width so as not to make them too wide overall and space the fingers more than necessary) and when you reach the right size, then you can start on the outer part. I was dumb and didn't leave myself enough room to do that, so the finger holes ended up being a bit too snug. Still look cool though, I'll be painting them black and putting them on the wall along with the rest regardless. :mrgreen:
<<

Squelchtone

Post Thu May 02, 2013 6:26 am

dicey wrote:.. If you make it legal there WILL be bad people misusing it...

I'm sorry dicey but this is the flawed logic certain political groups in the USA are using to ban "assault rifles" and "high capacity magazines"

If they remain legal, then good tax paying law abiding citizens will be able to purchase them for sport or protection or for collection.

If they make them illegal, or even make people turn them in, then the good people will be disarmed and guess what, bad people don't care about laws, they'll still have those guns and will import them illegally from other states or countries if they are not available for sale at the local sports store or gun shop.

bad people will have weapons and they will use or misuse them either way.

Worst yet, and this is something I am working on to educate people is that many Americans keep their guns in a closet or in a dresser drawer or night stand and when their house is burgled their guns end up on the streets in gang member hands, so I'm hoping to come up with some sort of website or group or a movement to educate people about the value of having a good safe and securing their guns. I think if someone is home and wants to keep a shotgun behind a bedroom door and a Glock under their pillow that's fine, but if you are at work 8am-5pm or on holiday during the weekend and out of town, your guns need to be locked up in a bolted down safe during those hours. Then when you're back home, you can take them out and place them at the ready for any sort of intruder defense, zombie outbreak, etc.

As to Solomons post and his collection, I think it's very interesting and we can learn a lot about how humans treat each other, the creativity and inventive nature we display in coming up with interesting offensive and defensive weapons and what it says about society. I was watching the moonshiner film Lawless and one of the brothers was getting attacked by a bad guy, so the other brother put on his brass knuckles and punched the guy. In Americana, I think brass knuckles are most easily identified with 1920's mobsters and 1930's detectives as well as any kind of mafia mobsters. There's certainly a lot of history there, and I'm not a proponent of violence, but I do appreciate the history and design.

just my opinion,
Squelchtone
<<

gnarus8429

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 02, 2013 7:05 am

Try rubbing the edges with some acetone or fingernail polish remover. That should dress the edges up a bit. Just be sure to do it in a well ventilated area.
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
-Albert Einstein
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Thu May 02, 2013 7:55 am

Squelchtone wrote:bad people will have weapons and they will use or misuse them either way.

+1

I have no idea why people find this concept so difficult to grasp. Same as guns, illegal or not criminals can still get them - and if not, they'll always find a way. In the case of brass knuckles and other blunt force weapons it's not exactly taxing... just go to your local hardware store and you'll find shelves full of much nastier weapons, for much cheaper.

I think if knuckles were legal to own and carry, there'd probably be a lot less bad guys carrying knives. And personally I'd much rather someone came at me with brass knuckles than a knife, at least you have a chance that way.

Squelchtone wrote:Worst yet, and this is something I am working on to educate people is that many Americans keep their guns in a closet or in a dresser drawer or night stand and when their house is burgled their guns end up on the streets in gang member hands, so I'm hoping to come up with some sort of website or group or a movement to educate people about the value of having a good safe and securing their guns. I think if someone is home and wants to keep a shotgun behind a bedroom door and a Glock under their pillow that's fine, but if you are at work 8am-5pm or on holiday during the weekend and out of town, your guns need to be locked up in a bolted down safe during those hours. Then when you're back home, you can take them out and place them at the ready for any sort of intruder defense, zombie outbreak, etc.

That's a great idea, very sensible. Over here our guns have to be locked in a safe, bolted to the wall and only the certificate holder is allowed keys. You can actually have your certificate revoked if the police check on your guns and the keys are accessible. You're also not allowed to keep ammo at home unless you live in a rural area and have signatures from 3 people permitting you to shoot over their land.

Gave them a coat of black paint today... while the edges are still a bit shitty I don't care enough to put any more time into them cos I wanna move onto alu. They're practical, and look fine on the wall with the rest so I'm happy with them. I added a leather strap to the palm brace on the bigger set, they're exceptionally comfy to punch with now. My babies. :mrgreen:
<<

Pickingpaul

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 02, 2013 1:18 pm

if some ass hole wants to hurt or kill someone they can use anything they like pretty much, if guns are ilegal criminals will still have them dicey but the general public wont be able to protect them, but saying this of course accidents will be avoided but a boiling kettle should be illegal on the same logic.

nicely made thingie me giggies solomon, would they fit on my sloth-like feet?
<<

Squelchtone

Post Thu May 02, 2013 1:43 pm

Solomon, have you thought of making one from clay or silicone that fits perfectly in your hand, then then use that to make a negative mold and cast one from that mold out of aluminum?

Squelchtone
PreviousNext

Return to Cold Steel