FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

flick knife mechanism

<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:44 pm

flick knife mechanism

This is a request for information on flick knives , these are illegal in the UK , so what i want is a few good pictures of the mechanisms as i want to build a "flickpick"
if i could lay my hands on one here i would dismantle it and copy the design , but they are very rare here !
Any pictures of these would be very helpful or if anyone has a broken one (ie, snapped blade) that would be very welcome lol
Open Sez Me !
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: flick knife mechanism

I don't think this is exactly what you're looking for but it is something to start you one your way and maybe give you an idea. This is a spring assisted opening knife that lost a few screws so you can see the mechanism. Basically the spring pulls on the rod which is attached to the blade on the side opposite the pivot. It won't open it by itself but it dramatically reduces the force required to open it.

knife.jpg

Are you looking for switchblade or stiletto type opening? If the former than what you need is a torsion spring. I'd look at mouse traps if you're trying to scavenge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:12 pm

Do a google image search for "double action OTF mechanism", should find some diagrams and breakdowns. I took mine apart once but it was a cunt of a thing to put back together otherwise I'd take some pics... you're bound to find some pics and videos on it though, cutlerylover on youtube has a shitload of vids so you might find a breakdown on his channel.

The best i can explain it, it's like a track the blade sits in, and on either side there's this little lever type deal with a tiny spring under it. As you slide the switch forward it pushes the front lever down freeing up the blade, which then shoots forward and the rear lever then pops up behind it locking into place. Same for closing it again, only in reverse. Pretty fucking clever.

You could use a leaf spring like a stiletto which is far more simple, although it might put stress on the pick shaft when closing it. Then again it probably wouldn't need much spring force to open, nowhere near as much as a blade would anyway.
<<

Boss

Familiar Face

Post Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:47 pm

Buy a switch blade comb and replace the comb with your pick.
<<

Alaphablue

The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!
The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!

Post Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:42 am

Nozza try google patents they should have pic and breakdowns.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:00 am

Boss wrote:Buy a switch blade comb and replace the comb with your pick.

Those are really really cheap and nasty, and the leaf springs are weak as shit. They're toys. Anyhow... even though very lightweight, it'd be far too big for a pick handle. You can get keychain sized stilettos but that'd be too small, I'd say the best bet would be to take the mechanism from a miniature OTF knife. I had one years ago which was disguised as a lighter, I thought I'd broken it and took it apart, never got it back together again cos I wasn't as handy with things back then. Might actually still have the parts knocking about, I know for a fact that the springs are lost though. But you could probably take some small lock springs, cut them really short and use those. The main spring that fires the blade is still there I think.

Edit: Scratch that, I have all the parts but the main spring that fires/retracts the blade is missing. Fuckballs.
<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:15 pm

Solomon , i will scream if you don't at least show a pic of the mech !
You could post it to me even (after cutting off the blade) i'll send you something "flicky" if i get the design sorted !
Open Sez Me !
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:17 pm

Blade is completely seperate mate, I could do a vid for ya explaining it but there are some already on youtube I found:

Those ones have the switch on the side, the one I have has the switch on top but it's the same idea. If you're still not 100% on how it works I can do a video explaining it as best I can but I think he explains it pretty well in those vids. I'd have no problem sending you the carriage from my miniature one but again, you still need the springs for the levers plus the main spring to actually shoot/retract the blade.
<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks Sol , i'm going to try my own version first , but if i crash and burn , i'll pm you to scrounge your old one , mine will have a straight case and blade but use a carriage with diagonal dogs and top mounted button as opposed to side mounted , not sure if it will work , bound to need loads of fettling either way !
Those videos were very helpful mate , i can visualise it better now , thanks again Solomon.
Open Sez Me !

Return to Cold Steel