FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

My new everyday carry

<<

.45cal

Global Moderator

Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:19 pm

My new everyday carry

I was in the good ol USA today and got myself a new knife to carry

http://www.benchmade.com/products/585

I haven't had the time to play with it too much but it is well rated and so far the knife seems solid. The spring action is fast and the blade locks into place with only the slightest movement side to side over all very tight. It has 154CM steel and is not made in China :cool:

Anybody have or had this knife? Or another Benchmade? What did you think of the quality and did the knife last?
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:42 pm

Re: My new everyday carry

Congratulations. It's always fun getting a new knife. I don't have that particular Benchmade, but I have about a half dozen or so others made by them, so I'm a fan.

Now that they've scaled up their production, they don't quite have the same custom fit and finish that they had 20 years ago, but they still make excellent stuff in my opinion. I can't remember ever wearing out a Benchmade knife, or breaking one (always use the right tool for the job). I usually tend to lose them after a year or two of carry. Always makes me sad when that happens.
<<

nhoj_yelbom

Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:46 pm

yes i really like benchmade and the great customer service. i just got my 581 barrage, really like the axis assist. that mini looks sweet!

this one is for sale 950 rift
Wanted TrioVing, ASSA, BiLock, Environmental Locks and Keys, Ingersoll
<<

abroxis

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:00 am

Axis assist ?

Is that the same or similar to a switch blade?

I am wondering about legality of this feature in Canada.
<<

.45cal

Global Moderator

Post Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:53 am

These knives are considered assisted open knives and are legal in Canada.

Good ol Wiki ....... Switchblades are illegal to sell, buy, trade, carry or otherwise possess. Part III of the criminal code first defines such knives as prohibited weapons (armes défendues). The Canadian Criminal Code defines the switchblade:
"A knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife." (sec. (84)(1)(b))

The difference is an automatic knife (switchblade) has a button attached to the handle of the knife that releases the blade while assisted open knives require you to start the action of opening the blade by actually moving the blade its self in this case by using the thumb stud.

That being said not all law enforcement officers aren't that knowledgeable of the law so if you were to start playing with it in public you could end up with a hassel.
<<

abroxis

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:11 pm

Thanks for the explanation .

Law enforcement officers every where seem to have their own unique interpretation of the law.

Return to Cold Steel