FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

HC's New RAT Steel - Fixed Blades

<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Fri May 08, 2009 8:05 am

HC's New RAT Steel - Fixed Blades

First up: RAT Izula

Overall Length: 6.25"
Blade Length (end of handle to tip): 2.88"
Thickness: .156"
Steel: 1095 Carbon
Weight: 2 ounces without sheath
Finish: Textured powder coat
Blade Width: 1.0"
Grind: Flat
Handles: None
Sheathing: Injection Molded, Black
Pommel: Hole to accommodate carabiner
Spine: Thumb grippers, .5" long
100-IMGA0311.JPG
100-IMGA0316.JPG
100-IMGA0309.JPG

Next: RAT RC5

Overall length: 10.88"
Blade length: 5.25"
Blade thickness: .25" (yes its 1/4" thick)
Blade width: 1.56"
Steel: 1095 carbon
Handles: canvas micarta
Sheath: Molle cordura with pouch on front for tools, survival kit, etc.
Weight: Knife only: 16oz Knife with sheath: 1lb 8oz
Features of the knife inculde: Glass break pommel, bow drill divot, and serial numbered.
100-IMGA0317.JPG
100-IMGA0320.JPG
100-IMGA0318.JPG
100-IMGA0321.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

jasonthekey

Post Sat May 09, 2009 4:45 pm

Re: HC's New RAT Steel - Fixed Blades

what kind of lock is that in the picture?
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Sat May 09, 2009 5:11 pm

jasonthekey wrote:what kind of lock is that in the picture?

That is an American Barrel lock (at least that's what some people call it) - and I'm not sure of the model number, but I believe it is a #5340.

5 Pin - semi hard to pick because the plugs tend to fit loosely and slide in the housing.

Here's me picking one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvhDjrBe7CQ
<<

kraig

Post Sat May 09, 2009 9:19 pm

Do the knives have something to do with lock picking?
Kilroy Was Here!
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Sat May 09, 2009 10:14 pm

kraig wrote:Do the knives have something to do with lock picking?

It's "artistic license" man. We artist types like to dress all tragically hip, and use tragically hip - but old cliches in our speaking - and use tragically hip symbolism in our art.

The lock represents our repressed humdrum lives, while the knife blade represents mankind's steely, but inflexible and finely honed resolve - thrusting forward - to pursue life's "key".
:ugeek:

If you believe that, I got a story about a new Corvette for $5000 - a horny dead cheerleader and a 5 speed gearshift knob.
:shock:
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Mon May 11, 2009 7:04 pm

Edge retention test of the Izula. I thought you might be interested HC

For me, they have had everything to do with it.

-Tooly
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Tue May 12, 2009 12:35 am

ToolyMcgee wrote:Edge retention test of the Izula. I thought you might be interested HC

Man thanks for that vid - and if I ever wanted to grow forearms like Popeye, that little whittling excercise would certainly do it. ;)
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Tue May 12, 2009 1:50 am

I think thats a serious knife,

jeese man thats sharp fooker :lol:
<<

uklockpicka

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 12, 2009 2:10 am

uklockpicker wrote:I think thats a serious knife,

jeese man thats sharp fooker :lol:

too right sharpe as fook as you say mate, very good looking knife though
PERSAVIERNCE IS THE KEY
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Tue May 12, 2009 6:47 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:Man thanks for that vid - and if I ever wanted to grow forearms like Popeye, that little whittling excercise would certainly do it. ;)

No prob. I've been curious about the Izula, and it's not often I find a decent test vid so quick. Forearms like Popeye wouldn't hurt for trying that with the Izula, but the RC5 would give you alot less strain because of the grip, dispite it's extra blade length. Either way you would choose a mix of different methods to do the task, but this was purely a test of edge retention. Something similar might be to cut 50 foot long strips of cardboard and then shaving hair with the edge. Not a quality you are going to find in knives on the shelf at Wally world. :mrgreen:

-Tooly
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Tue May 12, 2009 7:54 pm

ToolyMcgee wrote:No prob. I've been curious about the Izula, and it's not often I find a decent test vid so quick. Forearms like Popeye wouldn't hurt for trying that with the Izula, but the RC5 would give you alot less strain because of the grip, dispite it's extra blade length. Either way you would choose a mix of different methods to do the task, but this was purely a test of edge retention. Something similar might be to cut 50 foot long strips of cardboard and then shaving hair with the edge. Not a quality you are going to find in knives on the shelf at Wally world. :mrgreen:

-Tooly

To be honest, I didn't think it was going to hold up so well. I only bought it after reading some of the comments left by the blade forum guys at AR15.com - because a lot of them were raving about the RAT RC 3's, 4's and 5's and Izula's - so lemming that I am, I got the RC 5. It's the first "quality" knife I ever bought - in other words, a knife I didn't buy at some sporting goods store that was on sale for less than $50.

Since I paid close to $200 for it - I reckon this will be it for a while. And the Izula was an impulse thing. I already have a Hide-a-way Talon, but WTF, impulse right? That's why they sell a hell of a lot of beef jerky and bubble gum at the check-out aisle.
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Tue May 12, 2009 10:21 pm

First quality knife :shock: So you are primarily gun nutz then? How did I miss that... Well I'm knife crazy, pleased to meet you :lol: My brother is a serious collector, and almost all of what I have is through him, either in gift or by recommendation. Every time we see each other he has something new to test, and he gives me an earful of what's what that's coming up for production, and the history of why it's hot shit. We go out in the woods and beat the crap out of them doing heavy camp chores, target cutting different material, and then sheath fight until someone gets busted up. Then retreat to the house for beers and sharpening, if anything even needs a touch up. Usually it's just a matter of cleaning the blades and bandaging cuts.

For an impulse buy the Izula is a good one. I don't know from experience about the RC5, I have a bark river in A2 tool steel that is the same size and grind, but I would imagine the 1095 to be tougher if you don't want to sharpen it all the damn time. Probably a gem, and any time they serialize them I'm a sucker for it. Anyway you could have done worse for a much higher price tag. I won't mention any names Chris Reeve, but some tactical knives are way overpriced.

-Tooly
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Wed May 13, 2009 12:42 am

<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Wed May 13, 2009 3:40 am

:lol: :lol: I've seen some overly complicated crap, but seriously... Open the knife on the guy then come back around and cut him, then hand jazz it to a backwards grip? :roll: I think I'll just hand it to him. :lol:

I've seen this knife but not the specifics of this peticular system which are mostly based on opening the knife on the other guy. The problem is you'd have to be a martial arts master catching punches and shit to even have a go at it. I can't block every punch, so why would I count on being able to catch a guys weapon hand? If your technique has pre set stances, or requires you to make contact, then contact again to strike it isn't going to help you immediately against an armed attacker. You have to do what is most natural or you will hitch up and get thumped with a pipe. Shoot from the hip is the rule. This is just another in a long line of attempts to make one folding knife pattern appear to be a fighting system. Gimic junk. He would have to have 1 arm to not punch you with the other one while you were fumbling with this thing, if it failed to lock open you would cut off your finger, if it hungup partially opened on his clothing... you get it. Draw your gun ready to fire, not backwards, and definately not counting on the guys arm to knock the safety off for you. :lol:

-Tooly
<<

s1deshowmick

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed May 13, 2009 12:23 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:

It's "artistic license" man. We artist types like to dress all tragically hip, and use tragically hip - but old cliches in our speaking - and use tragically hip symbolism in our art.

The lock represents our repressed humdrum lives, while the knife blade represents mankind's steely, but inflexible and finely honed resolve - thrusting forward - to pursue life's "key".
:ugeek:

If you believe that, I got a story about a new Corvette for $5000 - a horny dead cheerleader and a 5 speed gearshift knob.
:shock:

Damn i want to hear that story.
If you can't be good, Be good at it.

http://au.youtube.com/S1DESHOWMICK
Next

Return to Cold Steel