FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Have a Favorite Fixed Blade Knife?

<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Thu May 07, 2009 12:53 am

Have a Favorite Fixed Blade Knife?

What is your favorite knife - Rat Cutlery, KaBar, Busse, Scrapyard - other?
<<

omegaman

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 07, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Have a Favorite Fixed Blade Knife?

well Hallis you are gonna think we are a bunch of pussies over here in the uk
but apart from the government not letting us be strapped they dont really
like us having knives (there was a spate of knife crime)

I do have a nice global kitchen knife for all my kitchen needs if that counts
six inch blade very sharp carrots dont stand a chance
so catch ya lata have fun..............................................
<<

Mike51691

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 07, 2009 5:15 am

When it comes to fixed blades I like the winchester bowie knife.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Thu May 07, 2009 9:03 am

omegaman wrote:well Hallis you are gonna think we are a bunch of pussies over here in the uk
but apart from the government not letting us be strapped they dont really
like us having knives (there was a spate of knife crime)

I do have a nice global kitchen knife for all my kitchen needs if that counts
six inch blade very sharp carrots dont stand a chance
so catch ya lata have fun..............................................

Omegaman, I don't think that at all. Unfortunately, I fear the US is tilting in the same general direction as the New World Order. People in general have become so dependent on the gov't to tell us what to eat, shit, or puke that we've become sheeple.

Anyway, I have a few new fixed blades that I'll be posting photos of, as time permits.
<<

omegaman

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 07, 2009 1:37 pm

Hallis dont even get me started on the new world order
not sheeple just products thats why we all have a certificate of manifest
oops sorry silly me they call it a birth certificate nough said

catch ya lata have fun......................
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu May 07, 2009 5:14 pm

william rodgers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Fri May 08, 2009 4:27 pm

Just one? Not possible :lol: I carry my Cold steel Kobun everywhere because it's slim and I don't have to sharpen the hollow grind very often. I like the Glock with the root saw for a pack knife. Favorite though... the cold steel Natchez bowie? Only because it's the largest knife they make with the san mai. And I know everyone boo's the Randall made knives because of the ludicrous price, but I love the damn things. Model 15 airman, model 17 astro knife, and of course the Arkansas toothpick.

If I was to be practical then,
Carry/utility: Cold steel Pendleton Mini hunter
Camp chores: Cold steel SK-5 Trailmaster
Pierceing: SOG tech bowie
Slashing: SOG agency
Prying: There are alot of knives that would fit here.

Of course you can't underestimate a good bird knife either... it's like trying to figure out which lock is my favourite. My head hurts :lol:
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Fri May 08, 2009 5:46 pm

ToolyMcgee wrote:Just one? Not possible :lol: ... it's like trying to figure out which lock is my favourite. My head hurts :lol:

Here's mine...

http://keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1512&p=13697#p13697

http://keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1511
<<

omegaman

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 08, 2009 6:03 pm

crocodile dundee response call that a knife
posts on forum thats a knife
<<

ratyoke

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri May 08, 2009 7:00 pm

I have a few fixed blades, but I don't carry them except my little HideAway Knife. And I always carry a folder. Usually Benchmade.
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Fri May 08, 2009 7:45 pm

Yes HC, I saw your kick ass rat knives :mrgreen: I like the skeleton frame and great carry system the Izula has, but the serialized RC5 is really sweet. I really like airman's knives.

If I could commit myself to a folding knife it would be something like a diablo automatic. I can't bring myself to carry a large folding knife even if it is CPM-S30V because it wont twist and pry like a fixed blade of the same size, and I can't fish it out of my pocket and open it as fast as I can get to a fixed blade on my belt. Every time I have needed it right now the folder has failed me unless it was in my hand already. Also in my neck of the woods they are picking on the pocket clip and using it as a reason for searches, and I mean every time it catches a glare. They already hassle me enough as it is without having a legal reason to knock me on the damn ground. It is easier to explain away my fixed blades as tools, but there is no excuse for a large folder or auto anything. It's so bizarre, like the way butterfly knives are basically illegal because they are so "fast" open, but really it's about the intimidation factor of the juggleing, not the speed. Same goes for the loud snap of the liner locking one hander I guess.

-Tooly
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Fri May 08, 2009 8:49 pm

ToolyMcgee wrote: Also in my neck of the woods they are picking on the pocket clip and using it as a reason for searches, and I mean every time it catches a glare. They already hassle me enough as it is without having a legal reason to knock me on the damn ground.

I carry the T3 IWB as a defense tool when I can't carry my pistol. It's too big for anything else. In Texas you can carry a folding or fixed knife legally as long as the blade is no longer than 5 1/2".

For small cutting tasks I carry a Sheffield lockback utility from Wally World.

http://sheffield-tools.com/lockback-utility-knife-p-1138.html?cPath=2
<<

ratyoke

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri May 08, 2009 8:53 pm

Tooly, what part of the country do you live in?

I have carried a knife with a pocket clip for 13 years and never had a problem. Mine isn't very big, and I know it was legal where I lived in CA, I'm not so sure about where I am living now. Pretty sure it's legal. The area I live in now it would be more problems than it's worth to carry something as obvious as a fixed blade. Which sucks, but I don't really need a fixed blade for opening packages, cutting tape, string, etc, the main things I use a blade for.

This is what I carry now. The folder is a modified Benchmade. I made the blue aluminum piece on the blade so it would work like my Emerson folder that had the wave feature.

<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Sat May 09, 2009 1:46 am

HallisChalmers wrote:I carry the T3 IWB as a defense tool when I can't carry my pistol. It's too big for anything else. In Texas you can carry a folding or fixed knife legally as long as the blade is no longer than 5 1/2".

For small cutting tasks I carry a Sheffield lockback utility from Wally World.

http://sheffield-tools.com/lockback-utility-knife-p-1138.html?cPath=2

Solely as a self defense tool? That is the stigma I was yakin' about. All knive's have utility function. Why carry around a knife solely for self defense when you could carry one for utility that does both? Why shouldn't the knife I reach for to cut chord also be one that can cut and arm or leg to the bone? The fact you have the walmart cheapy, which is nearly as large and heavy, totally cracks me up. (LOL) You could use that knife every day for every cutting task at hand over a month and a couple passes on the steel would make it hair popping sharp. That CPM-S30v super stainless is made for superior edge retention. You would have to put that fucker to work chopping wood to have a prayer of dulling it. Tell the truth, you don't want to scuff up the coating. :lol: It's ok, William Henry uses a gas station lock back he bought for a buck. He showed it to me and I almost pissed myself.

ratyoke wrote:Tooly, what part of the country do you live in?

Northern Indiana. You've probably seen my little town on the news, it's still got the highest unemployment rate in the country. That's why I'm constantly on the road. There is no carry law here that prevents me from wearing whatever I choose. Seriously anything goes but switchblades, and throwing stars. This is the law on paper, but in practice it's all about validating your intent. Visible knife clip is intimidation, and probable cause for a search. This means even if it isn't a knife on the other end of the clip and you have a dime bag in your pocket they have you dead to rights because of probable cause. Like the seatbelt BS. It's a way for them to get away with pushing the boundaries. I got searched the other week for a clip. It was my key ring clip with rings full of key blanks, pocket full of lock picks, 6 inch knife blade strapped to my belt, black leather gloves. They were staked out waiting for a car theif to make a move on their target vehicle, but I didn't know that. 5 cars. I spotted most of them in the dark distance on my way up the road, and just thought speed trap. Then this county shrimp dick rolled up on me like Starsky at 50 miles an hour and screeches to a halt. Hands where I can see 'em! I was working in the garage and ran out of Grizzly, that's what all the pockets full of shit is about officer. He believed me, it was the obvious truth, then he asked me some cryptic questions, was ok with the answers and filled me in on the little sting for twisting my fucking arm. Most of them won't even bother to do that. Even tried to bully me into surrendering my lock picks and knife for his peace of mind. No chance. Had there been a drop of alcohol on my breath, all bets are off. It's a common occurance because I leave the house at night on foot, I'm 6'4, slim 200 pounds, I scowl, I'm short with people, and I basically look shady as hell because my cargo pockets are full to bursting and I wear loose clothes. I'm a lone officers worst nightmare and it's why I get put on the ground if I flinch. I get hassled, but I don't let this crap choke my liberty just because the crime rate is sky rocketing in this shit hole. They have always been jerks. I remember the first time I got the business from a beat cop, I was 8 years old riding my huffy down the street and he actually made me stop and got out of his car to question me about some bike thefts at the school and establish his threatening presence in the neighborhood. I've always been tall, but c'mon now.

ratyoke wrote:This is what I carry now. The folder is a modified Benchmade. I made the blue aluminum piece on the blade so it would work like my Emerson folder that had the wave feature.

You don't see many people modifying their knives, especially not bench made folders. Very cool. I would lecture you about all the reasons you need a small fixed blade knife just for the tasks you specified, but I think I already did it to HC before I ate up half a page of his thread screaming fuck the police again :lol: Oops. :oops:

-Tooly
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Sat May 09, 2009 9:35 am

ToolyMcgee wrote:Why carry around a knife solely for self defense when you could carry one for utility that does both?

Well, you have a valid point - but I don't plan on chopping down tress. Living in a strictly urban environment, I figure if I empty all my magazines at some fucker and he's still coming at me - I need to do something to bleed him out - quick! Hopefully, I can punch out his radiator so he'll leak out before he stomps my guts out.

To do that I need a good blade that will (i) cut big gashes, (ii) give me distance from the crazy mofo, (iii) won't break off.

That little Sheffield utility with a 2 -1/2" blade can slash - but by the time I can suck in my fat gut and peel it out of my front pocket, while fumbling through nickels, quarters, gum wrappers, pocket lint, etc. - I'm toasted weenie sandwich.
:cry:

Face it - we live in a PC world. People freak when you pull out a cigarette -what are they going to do when you whip out a 5 inch pigsticker?
:o
So, in this scenario - I could shoot, run like hell, and if the fucker is still coming - maybe a little more slowly after eating a few 9mm's, I can drop back, slip out the old T3 and start punching for the arteries and tendons, while hammering with my empty pistol.

I am by no means a badass martial arts expert or a paranoid "the end is near" bunker humper. I'm an out of shape ex-biker dude that quit trying to prove himself. I try to keep my mouth shut and don't look for trouble (anymore). I don't plan on going 12 rounds with any motherfucker. I want to "git 'er done" and GTFO, ASAP.

Shoot, cut, and bug out. I just want to survive.

In my younger days, the cops hassled you for the obligatory Buck 110 lockback in a leather holster that everyone carried. That was great probable cause back then - along with my tatoos, long hair, cut off vest and a Harley. :roll:

But as you get older - you tend to tone that shit down and become less flamboyant. I can carry more shit nowdays (and get away with it) than I ever could when I was in my 20's. ;)

A compact pistol, couple of good blades (one big - one utility), and a cold shot of adrenaline.

That'll do.
:twisted:
Next

Return to Cold Steel