FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Knife Legal Issues

<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:54 am

Knife Legal Issues

There is a move afoot by the Feds to ban any knife that is spring assisted or can easily be opened with one hand.

See attached article: http://www.kniferights.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=76&Itemid=150

Bastards.

Thanks a lot Obama.
:evil:
<<

aarpazthelockpicker

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:14 am

Re: Knife Legal Issues

so you cant flip it open with one hand even if it is not spring assisted
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:26 am

aarpazthelockpicker wrote:so you cant flip it open with one hand even if it is not spring assisted

In a worst case scenario - that's the way it could be interpreted.

Remember...when you deal with the govt on legal issue - you always assume a worst case scenario.
:x
<<

aarpazthelockpicker

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:23 am

ya that pisses me off i just got a new knife.

this knife thing is (bull)
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:56 pm

For many years now, it has been legal here in Oregon to purchase and have in possesion any makes of switch blade knifes and the stilleto style where the blade project from the end of the handle, we can also use crossbows to hunt! Obama bring it on!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

aarpazthelockpicker

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:06 pm

Lucky
<<

omegaman

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:01 pm

on the knife thing thanks hallis for puting me onto the snody knives link :D

catch ya lata have fun
<<

Mike51691

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:37 pm

That sucks, but I seen it coming from a mile away. I guess I better stock up now while I still can.
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:16 pm

The real tragedy here is that the government is NOT to blame for this type of blanket termed legislation. It is the knife community, who continues to choose the bloody side of self defense to sell their blades. Manufacturer's, and consumers alike, this stereotype has gotten way out of control to the point where the knives that have been marketed as murder weapons are becoming unlawful murder weapons. We elect the officials who control this crap, and it is overwhelming public opinion that gains the support of the government to get this unconstitutional shit shoved through.

Highlighting the fact that your blade is capable of dealing significant bloody damage to human tissue is the best way to gain this negative attention. We haven't kept our right to own guns in this country by highlighting the negative aspects of their use, but rather the sporting side. The practical side of self defense, the hunting aspects, anything that says, "respect for the power of the weapon" rather than "fear the gruesome details of it's use".

One handed opening knives for easy use as tape splitters when you have a box in hand. Rope cutting, pencil sharpener, literally any other use could pass. These are the things for which we need these tools. Easy access for utility, and NOT for bloody fights to the death. That's a 1 in a million chance compared to the every day useful side of cutting up your food, or slicing that stray sweater yarn.

Even if you still want to believe the perceived speed of your one hander makes it a good weapon, you should dummy up like your pig sticker is for box cutting. Time to highlight the practical uses of the tool over the bloody death, even if bloody death is what you prefer to focus on. You want to keep your lock picks, then talk about their value as a hobby rather than their unfortunate use as occasional burglars tools. Your gun, then it's time to talk about clay shooting, instead of urban violence. Your knife... you get the picture. This country is full of idiots who want to restrict the distribution of anything potentially dangerous if given the chance. The bone saw one hander with a skull buster was that chance.

-Tooly
<<

Jinglesanator

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:15 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:For many years now, it has been legal here in Oregon to purchase and have in possesion any makes of switch blade knifes and the stilleto style where the blade project from the end of the handle, we can also use crossbows to hunt! Obama bring it on!

I swear you had to be paralyzed to use a crossbow...like anywhere. :D
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

barbarian

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:35 pm

Tooly makes a great point here. It's worth a read again.

The media will grab anything that appears sensational. Don't give them a chance.

media = evil
<<

Jinglesanator

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:15 pm

barbarian wrote:Tooly makes a great point here. It's worth a read again.

The media will grab anything that appears sensational. Don't give them a chance.

media = evil

word.
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:19 pm

media = evil

You mean like when the media starts to drool and hyperventilate when you mention "assault rifle" or "AK47"? :roll:
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:49 am

media = evil

I did have a point to make, but got caught ranting about consumerism again :oops:

These laws that redefine what an item can be used for are twisted into definitions that limit their wide range of possible uses. The government shouldn't be able to dictate how a person chooses to use a tool by branding it's characteristics in such a way that can define intent as possession. Especially when it's the oldest human tool next to rock hammer.

Speed is not a characteristic that should define a dangerous weapon, but an effective tool. Whether the function is self defense or box cutting, the law shouldn't be allowed to pigeon hole what you choose to carry for legal cutting tasks. Making effective knives illegal is as nutz as making sharp knives illegal. It does not make any sense.

In a country where we are legally allowed to carry firearms for self defense, it is unconscionable that our daily use pocket knives could be restricted.

If you choose to write your state representative to voice your opposition to this type of restriction, you can do so here.
http://www3.capwiz.com/c-span/dbq/officials/
I'll try to get a template from one of these knife sites for anyone here in the states who chooses to protest.

-Tooly
<<

GutterClown

Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:57 pm

Spring assisted knives have been banned in australia for as long as I can remember.

It's never stopped me from carrying a decent knife.
Next

Return to Cold Steel