Page 3 of 3

Re: Have a Favorite Fixed Blade Knife?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:13 pm
by HallisChalmers
shaothegreat wrote:
HallisChalmers wrote:What? No pistol?


Ok, ok...
So I sometimes carry a S&W 638 Airweight in an ankle holster or a Springfield Armory XD-45 compact when conditions permit (cold weather=jacket).

So, what are you packin' Hallis?



XD45 Compact? What caliber?

How do you like it? I've been eyeballing one of those little stinkers - probably in 9mm - or maybe .45. My hands are so refined and delicate from lockpicking that I hate brutalizing them w/ nasty .45's. :roll:

I carry either a KelTec P11 9mm or a Taurus 85 in 38 Spec in IWB holsters. The Colt 1911 in 45 ACP is just too heavy to carry well - especially in the summer with 14 days of 100+ humid degrees.

Knifewise, I carry the Lone Wolf T3 Harsey.

Where do you shoot? Top Gun - Carter's Country, etc?

Re: Have a Favorite Fixed Blade Knife?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:28 am
by jruther2
HallisChalmers wrote:How do you like it? I've been eyeballing one of those little stinkers - probably in 9mm - or maybe .45.
HC, I just wanted to mention that I had an XD compact 40 cal. It felt great in my hand, much more so that a glock in my opinion, and it was very accurate. However, after about 1000 rounds, it started jamming, failure to feed, about once every twenty rounds or less :x ! I was primarily plinking with winchester white box. I tried a few different brands of ammo with similar results. I also tried polishing the feed ramp and made sure it was not specific to any particular mag. Once I satisfied myself that I could not isolate the problem, I promptly traded it back to the store where I bought it for an H&K USP compact .40. I was honest with the guy at the store and told him why I was trading it. I don't think he actually believed me, but I did my part and made him aware of the problem. I later read about a few similar instances online and they all seemed to be specific to the .40 cal compact. This was a few years back and I know you mentioned 9mm or .45 but I thought it was at least worth mentioning.

Re: Have a Favorite Fixed Blade Knife?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:17 am
by the lockpickkid
I looked at a Sig 40 caliber today that a guy bought, and I have been looking at the Sigs alot on the internet, they are really nice, when I buy another pistol, I am going for the Sig, they are a pretty proven pistol I think.

Re: Have a Favorite Fixed Blade Knife?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:47 am
by HallisChalmers
jruther2 wrote:
HallisChalmers wrote:How do you like it? I've been eyeballing one of those little stinkers - probably in 9mm - or maybe .45.
HC, I just wanted to mention that I had an XD compact 40 cal. It felt great in my hand, much more so that a glock in my opinion, and it was very accurate. However, after about 1000 rounds, it started jamming, failure to feed, about once every twenty rounds or less :x ! I was primarily plinking with winchester white box. I tried a few different brands of ammo with similar results. I also tried polishing the feed ramp and made sure it was not specific to any particular mag. Once I satisfied myself that I could not isolate the problem, I promptly traded it back to the store where I bought it for an H&K USP compact .40. I was honest with the guy at the store and told him why I was trading it. I don't think he actually believed me, but I did my part and made him aware of the problem. I later read about a few similar instances online and they all seemed to be specific to the .40 cal compact. This was a few years back and I know you mentioned 9mm or .45 but I thought it was at least worth mentioning.


I wonder if it is something in the extractor - or possibly a weak recoil spring? Springfield makes good weapons, so I'm surprised they have problems. Then again ammo may always play a part.

Re: Have a Favorite Fixed Blade Knife?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:48 am
by HallisChalmers
the lockpickkid wrote:I looked at a Sig 40 caliber today that a guy bought, and I have been looking at the Sigs alot on the internet, they are really nice, when I buy another pistol, I am going for the Sig, they are a pretty proven pistol I think.


Sigs are another excellent weapon - but damn, they are proud of them.

Re: Have a Favorite Fixed Blade Knife?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:11 am
by Saeldur
Where to buy a fixed blade knife that are excellent for field dressing big game?