FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Have a Favorite Fixed Blade Knife?

<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Sun May 10, 2009 8:52 pm

Re: Have a Favorite Fixed Blade Knife?

HallisChalmers wrote: Face it - we live in a PC world. People freak when you pull out a cigarette -what are they going to do when you whip out a 5 inch pigsticker?

This is the heart of my gripeing: everyone maintains the assumption that every knife is a pig sticker. Serrations are to saw into bone, hardened steel ass caps are skull busters, a wide blade is for busting ribs and a large knife can't possibly be for anything other than murder. We reinforce this kind of false information because it's somehow more appealing than the truth of a multipurpose tool. The ass cap is a modification so a knife can be used as a hammering tool, serrations are an attempt to prolong the life of the edge for rope, strap, and to bite when the straight part of the edge loose's it's ability to do so. The fact that you could bust a dudes head with it is irrelevant because it's pointy end first guys. The serrations open a nasty cut, why wouldn't they since their function is to saw fibrous material. They make some knives with the specific intent to do damage to tissue and bone, but even these are usually built with utility first because someone like a soldier who needs it for killing, does alot less knife killing than he does strap cutting and crate prying. Why does every knife have to be a pig sticker to the point where I have to slap a pair of pliers on my utiliy knife to make it more socially acceptable? I already know the answers, but I've had the conversation so many times that now I'm doing the obligatory rage dump. Basically it is this, why does everyone think my lockpicks have to be for stealing, except replace that with a knives.

HallisChalmers wrote:Well, you have a valid point - but I don't plan on chopping down tress. Living in a strictly urban environment, I figure if I empty all my magazines at some fucker and he's still coming at me - I need to do something to bleed him out - quick! Hopefully, I can punch out his radiator so he'll leak out before he stomps my guts out.
[quote="HallisChalmers"]
Actually yard work is a large part of why I carry the bigger blade, then other heavy utility cutting, and of course self defense. It's easier to carry a good knife than run back to the garage every time I need a tool. It's no accident I am prepared to chop down trees, because in the woods knocking down trees is where I want to be. I just don't always take it off my belt to come into town because it's no less useful there.

First you said in place of your gun, now you have both. Which is it HC? :mrgreen: Purely from a self defense perspective punching holes in someone's chest or stomach is opposite what you want to accomplish. It still take several minutes to bleed out through your liver or other vital organ and you can poke 50 holes in a guy before he's gassed out. It would make it tougher to argue self defense to a jury if the guy is swiss cheese. I've been present in the aftermath of enough bar melee's and true riots to know that too many guys who get sucked into fights, only realize minutes after the fact they are stabbed multiple times in the gut. Short of knocking a dudes whole face off with a pool cue the sure way to stop someone attacking you is a deep leg gash. Adrenaline can't help you overcome a severed quad. Whatever tactic it takes to get you there, the leg wound is the crippleing self defense blow you want. Even if you disarm the guy with a wrist, hand, or other arm wound you are still within your rights to slash his leg to the bone to facilitate your safe escape.

I'm not a bunker nut self proclaimed hard ass martial expert myself. I quit working the doors at dive bars because I don't need to increase my collection of knife wounds. At the time I was muscular and broke, so it seemed like a good fit, but it taught me several valuable life lessons the hard way and gave me some good stories, but I don't frequent any bar anymore. I'm beyond my years of being flamboyent, but the whole police incident was recent, so I probably went a little nuts in the retelling. He was nicer about it than he had to be, but everytime some authority figure wants to tell me how to fall in line it really chaps my ass. Whoa... this is a regular rant. Sorry Hallis, I'm knife crazy. Gotta hit the button.

-Tooly
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Sun May 10, 2009 11:53 pm

So how do you feel about that, Tooly? No, really. Don't hold anything back, ok? :P
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Mon May 11, 2009 4:35 am

Point taken. You asked for it when you made a section to brag about your knives :lol: :P
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Mon May 11, 2009 6:57 am

ToolyMcgee wrote:Point taken. You asked for it when you made a section to brag about your knives :lol: :P

It's not just me - it's for everybody to brag on THEIR knives. I'm just the "facilitator".

:twisted:
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Mon May 11, 2009 6:03 pm

You're right, and it's why you are the bossman :lol: I'll try to curb my enthusiasm until I have something more constuctive to contribute.
<<

kabudz

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:48 pm

omegaman wrote:well Hallis you are gonna think we are a bunch of pussies over here in the uk
but apart from the government not letting us be strapped they dont really
like us having knives (there was a spate of knife crime)

I do have a nice global kitchen knife for all my kitchen needs if that counts
six inch blade very sharp carrots dont stand a chance
so catch ya lata have fun..............................................

I just actually sharpen my global kitchen knife //

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:03 pm

Well, Hallis you asked: I carry an A.G Russell, double edged throwing style knife, but it has a nice handle, so you would never throw it! it is balanced real well, fits perfect in my hand, perfect for protection if they ever get past the pistol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:33 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:
omegaman wrote:well Hallis you are gonna think we are a bunch of pussies over here in the uk
but apart from the government not letting us be strapped they dont really
like us having knives (there was a spate of knife crime)

I do have a nice global kitchen knife for all my kitchen needs if that counts
six inch blade very sharp carrots dont stand a chance
so catch ya lata have fun..............................................

Omegaman, I don't think that at all. Unfortunately, I fear the US is tilting in the same general direction as the New World Order. People in general have become so dependent on the gov't to tell us what to eat, Sh!t, or puke that we've become sheeple.

Anyway, I have a few new fixed blades that I'll be posting photos of, as time permits.

I fear the same. People need to educate themselves. It's the only way we stand a chance. If it's not to late already. Most ppl are dumb ass sheep already. NO clue what's going on around them. Anyway, favorite knife isint fixed blade, but I never leave home without it. Spyderco Endura half serated, half straight. Clips right onto my back pocket "modified" with a "quick draw", which is pretty interesting. Thinking about it now I dont think I wouldnt have bought the all stainless Endura. I like the way it looks and feels but it being all steel makes it a bit heavier than the carbon fiber version. (Ive owned both)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:46 pm

The Endura series from Spyderco are great knives - I have an Endura with black nylon grips and non-refelctive blade. Very light compared to the SS version.

I like it a lot - easy to forget you have it on you, though.
:o
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:23 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:The Endura series from Spyderco are great knives - I have an Endura with black nylon grips and non-refelctive blade. Very light compared to the SS version.

I like it a lot - easy to forget you have it on you, though.
:o

Haha. Yea the nylon grip is very light. Like I said, if I could go back would trade looks for the difference in weight. I had several of these with nylon grips, most are at the bottom of the gulf of mexico. LOL . U should put a quickdraw on that sucker. When you pull it out of your pocket it opens itself! It's not a gimick. It really works. All it is, is two zip ties.
<<

GutterClown

Post Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:46 am

<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:25 am

Sorry Gutterclown, I have to one up ya!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

shaothegreat

Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:52 pm

I carry 2 fixed blades on me at all times - sometimes 3. They are as follows:

Around my neck : Emerson Fred Perrin La Griffe
On my belt: Bowen single edge wide belt knife

and sometimes laced into my boots: KaBar TDI LDK

I always carry a folder in my right front pocket - either a Spyderco P'Kal or a Benchmade 910HS.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:54 pm

shaothegreat wrote:I carry 2 fixed blades on me at all times - sometimes 3. They are as follows:

Around my neck : Emerson Fred Perrin La Griffe
On my belt: Bowen single edge wide belt knife

and sometimes laced into my boots: KaBar TDI LDK

I always carry a folder in my right front pocket - either a Spyderco P'Kal or a Benchmade 910HS.

What? No pistol?
<<

shaothegreat

Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:11 am

HallisChalmers wrote:What? No pistol?

Ok, ok...
So I sometimes carry a S&W 638 Airweight in an ankle holster or a Springfield Armory XD-45 compact when conditions permit (cold weather=jacket).

So, what are you packin' Hallis?
PreviousNext

Return to Cold Steel