FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Some working knives

<<

Neilau

Post Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:55 pm

Some working knives

Last week I did a bit of “bunny busting”. Winter skins are at their best and cuts down a bit on the “spring rush”.

I thought I share some pics. of some of my working knives.

These particular ones are J Marttini from Finland. Inexpensive but very good steel.

This one is a perfect skinner for small animals like rabbits. A full size handle with a 3 inch blade.

WK1.jpg

These are the other two Marttinis that own. The top one has a carbon steel blade that is Teflon coated. For those of you that have never experienced the joy of using carbon steel blades, try to find some old CS blades in junk shops etc. sharpen them up (easy) and prepare to be amazed. They don’t hold an edge as long as a SS blade but a couple of wipes on a steel and they are back and oh what a joy to use.

WK3.jpg

The last pic. is an old German CS blade that I found years ago, reriveted the handle and made a scabbard for. One of the handiest knives that I own, particularly in the kitchen. The blade is quite thin.

WK2.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

just1pick+open

Post Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:24 pm

Re: Some working knives

Very cool knives...me personally I love the German one, that thin blade i'm sure it works well...thanks for sharing Neilau :dakikubi;
xeo: i use an electric buzzer exclusively for my ass that gets sanitized afterwards
PhoneMan: would have freaked my friend out if hed come over
MBI: Most anything goes.
PhoneMan: way to give me nightmares
selim: ok then blow your load,, i'll take anything free now a day's
<<

Neilau

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:02 am

If you like thin carbon steel knives, here are a couple more. English this time.

They are very old (100 + years).

The first three pics. are of a REALLY thin ham knife. Want waffer thin ham?????

The last pic. is the rest that I have. A carving knife and a well used whatever that evolved into a boning knife.

HK1.jpg

HK2.jpg

HK3.jpg

HKset.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

<<

just1pick+open

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:55 am

Cool knives man, thanks again for sharing..as always when stuff was made to last
xeo: i use an electric buzzer exclusively for my ass that gets sanitized afterwards
PhoneMan: would have freaked my friend out if hed come over
MBI: Most anything goes.
PhoneMan: way to give me nightmares
selim: ok then blow your load,, i'll take anything free now a day's
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:34 pm

I've never been much into blades... nevertheless, I like lookin' at the posts around here.

Anyway, wanted to say, I've been watching a fairly new series, "Forged in Fire".

Knowing nothing about bladesmithing or metal work... I'm finding it interesting.

Have you seen it?
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Locks+Picks_Happy

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:16 pm

Have you picked any locks withs any of these?

Also I was thinking of using some cheap knives to make some picks. As a knife guy could you give me any heads up on if that is a good idea (I don't see how it could be bad, but you rarely can when you think you have struck gold).

Any tips or brands would be great! (something like the weathered ones seems like it could work)

Thanks
<<

Neilau

Post Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:29 pm

First O.F. Haven’t seen that, yet looks interesting and will definitely watch it if it comes here.

And as for picking with knives. No unless the lock is made of butter. :D

Seriously though you can make really nice picks from old knives. Old Fast has a link showing some that he made that are just beautiful. Can’t find the thread. Maybe he will be kind enough to put up the link and you will see what’s possible.

Check out the home brew thread there are some in there.

The best steel that I’ve found are the old English butter knives (the ones with the rounded point and bone handles) that are marked Firth stainless. They actually take very good edges and I used one for a fishing knife for a long time. There used to be tons of them around in junk shops and Vinnies etc. but I haven’t seen any lately. The newer one piece table knives that are around are a bit of a lottery re: the quality of the steel.

If you are going to make picks from old knives try to find ones that don’t have much taper from back to edge.

I just use shim stock as there is a lot less work involved and the steel is of a known quality but if you want to have a go….. go for it.

It's all a learning experience.

Bit of trivia.

A love of sharp or pointed objects is called aichmophilia

A fear of sharp or pointed objects is aichmophobia

and if it's weird, sexual obsession with sharp objects is called belonephilia.

Cheers.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

<<

DCT

Familiar Face

Post Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:13 pm

Nice blades Sir!
That first one reminds me of the Mora and Hultafors knives.
They are a great value and I second your comments regarding carbon steel!
Do nothing which is of no use. -Miyamoto Musashi
<<

Neilau

Post Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:08 pm

Thanks DCT.

Yes it looks like a Mora with a mini blade.

I've got a couple of Moras. Bought them for $16 each years ago. Absolutely the BEST value knife out there. Still really inexpensive to buy and as a camp knife, all you really need.

All based on the Puukko. A simpler, functional, no nonsense blade has yet to be designed.

Funny, I don't have a genuine Puukko. A big hole in my collection. :wah:
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

<<

escher7

Post Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:49 am

Using old carbon steel knives for picks probably isn't the best idea, primarily because they are heat treated to take an edge, rather than stand up to the forces involved in manipulating locks. It would be possible to anneal the steel back to soft,the re-harden and temper, but that is way too much work. Some folks have used old stainless cutlery knives, which should be ok, but I prefer hacksaw blades. They endure major abuse when cutting steel, which means they are tough enough for picks, without further conditioning. The one drawback involves drilling for handles etc. as they wear out bits like crazy. They do grind ok on a bench grinder or belt sander.
That old knife of Neilau's reminds me of the day, at around 10 years old that I learned respect for a blade. I was stabbing a similar knife into a board when my hand slipped and ran the full length of the blade. Last thing I saw was the white knuckle bones flexing as I ran for help.

Return to Cold Steel