FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Hello from Alberta

<<

ZodiacLock

Post Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:08 pm

Hello from Alberta

Hi everyone;

I can't believe I've found such an extenisve resource in this site; simply amazing.

A quick "who and what": My name is Matthew, I live in Alberta, Canada. My main interests are locks and keys, computers, and amateur (ham) radio.

Now, as to what led me here;

I've been interested in keys and locks for quite honestly as long as I can possibly remember. I'd be hard pressed to tell you 'exactly' what spurred the interest in the first place.
As a youngling, I would be digging through my modest "collection"; ok, accumulation of keys (if my memory serves me, there were about five thousand or so) for hours, just looking at them, studying the differences...

I remember many a time, asking my father for money so I could go to the hardware store to get a key duplicated; not because we needed an extra key for this or that; but to watch the process of having the key duplicated and occasionally to ask questions of the individual who was kind enough to humor the whims of the young fellow presenting the key to be copied.

My father was a school principal, and it was in this environment I was first exposed to master keying. How curious it was to have one key to open a single lock and a second key, with a different pattern, looking nothing like the first key, open the same door, and many other doors as well... more learning, more puzzles to solve.

Now, after years of the interest sitting somewhat dormant, the interest has been re-kindled in a big way; I realize now how many, many more facets to this hobby and interest there are to explore... well beyond the racks of key blanks and the simple hardware store duplicator that fascinated a young fellow so many years prior.

Well... that's quite enough from me for now, lol. Sorry to bore all you nice folks with my yap....

Take care all.

M
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:15 pm

Re: Hello from Alberta

Welcome Matthew,

There are several members here with the same interests as you so you should fit in just fine. :) That is one heck of a key collection!

I am also from Alberta. There are also a few more active/semi active members from all over Canada as well.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:22 pm

Welcome to the site Matthew. My name is Mark. You will find this to be an unbelieveable resource. The knowledge here is truly extraordinary! Good advice is always to start by reading some of the posts, what ever stirs an interest in you. Pay attention to how old they are if you want to respond, you may resurrect a post from someone who is long gone. lol You will get hours of enjoyment out of this forum. Come and join the chat and get to know some of the folks. Again, welcome aboard.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

KentM

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:08 am

Welcome from Toronto Mathew

Kent
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:25 am

Greetings from Melbourne, Australia.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:39 am

Welcome from Arizona, USA. Always nice to have another enthusist.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:07 am

Welcome from Cleveland, Ohio!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:42 am

Hi Matthew, and welcome. I'm Mike. Glad you found us. I've a feeling you'll be a great addition to the forum.

Very interesting background story of what interested you as a child and what brought you back to it.
It's funny how nearly all of us carry & use keys our entire lives yet never give em' a second thought.
But for some of us, it sparks something in our brain and we say, "hmmm. That's interesting".

Anyway, glad you're here & I look foward to seein' ya around.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."

Return to Introduce Yourself