FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Hi

<<

anomie

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi

I've never actually picked a lock before, but I've always been interested, and after somewhat obsessively watching YouTube videos by various people that all seemed to lead back here, I figure, why not now?

So I ordered a tension tool and a couple of picks and I have a round padlock ("Storage Defense", made in China) sitting, locked (i have a key ... somewhere) on my desk waiting for them to arrive. I don't know if I will ever get good enough to defeat some of the locks I've seen picked in those videos, but it looks like a lot of fun, even if I don't.

Otter than that, I'm just a mid thirties programmer dude with a wife and kids who wanted to say thanks for having a community like this, and I'll be sure to post picks of that lock in the first lock thread when I get it open.
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Hi

welcome! i have achieved far more than I thought I would, especially after watching youtube vids. I hope you become as good as you want to be and dont let a tough lock, broken pick or unanswered question keep you from becoming the potential great lock picker we know you can be!
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:09 pm

anomie wrote:I've never actually picked a lock before, but I've always been interested, and after somewhat obsessively watching YouTube videos by various people that all seemed to lead back here, I figure, why not now?

So I ordered a tension tool and a couple of picks and I have a round padlock ("Storage Defense", made in China) sitting, locked (i have a key ... somewhere) on my desk waiting for them to arrive. I don't know if I will ever get good enough to defeat some of the locks I've seen picked in those videos, but it looks like a lot of fun, even if I don't.

Otter than that, I'm just a mid thirties programmer dude with a wife and kids who wanted to say thanks for having a community like this, and I'll be sure to post picks of that lock in the first lock thread when I get it open.

The one thing I love about lock picking is it's not so much a competition with other people rather, what it is I can accomplish. This site is full of people who will arm you with knowledge and will encourage you along the way.

Welcome.
<<

anomie

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:52 pm

One of the things that made me want to join the site was a general impression that people here are about learning and enjoying it, and not about who can't do what others can - there was a post where someone said something to the effect of "it's not a race, don't treat it like a race'. That post and others (in addition to all the good info) gave me a really good impression.
<<

Boss

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:01 am

Start out with a new lock for your first pick, maybe a Master # 3 or #5. some of the hardest locks to pick are the used off brand junk.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:29 am

A big welcome to you Anomie. This forum along with youtube is an endless source of info.
I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for... and more. People here continue to amaze me!

It's VERY exciting when you're just starting out! I look foward to seein' more of ya friend :)
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:25 pm

Welcome Anomie, You will find all the encouragement and great comraderie that you can want. I have been in the trade for 4 decades and never met a group so open and willing to help others maximize their potential. Never be afraid to ask a question here. Enjoy your new hobby (obsession to be?).
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

anomie

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:00 am

UPS claims my picks are somewhere in Kentucky and should get here tomorrow. The UPS guy will usually drop stuff off around 6-7pm.

Tried to pick it a little bit with a tension wrench and pick made out of a couple of safety pins. I can't really feel anything but the first pin using that, though, and even though I got some pins set I couldn't tell you which ones or what order I did it in, so I think I'm going to wait for the picks to get here.

Thank you all for the welcome :)
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:04 am

Welcome!!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife

Return to Introduce Yourself