FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Hi

<<

Volunteer

Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Hi

I actually got into lock picking just this week, Monday actually. I picked my first lock ever, a brass brinks padlock, yesterday, using homemade tools...a bobby pin bent to form a tension wrench and a small piece of metal about the size of a paperclip which I bent to a hook at the end. Anyway, I had no previous knowledge of picking and with about 2 days of study, largely on this site, I have the brinks padlock falling apart in my hands. I wanted to learn how to pick for utilitarian purposes originally, but now I am in love with it! Addicted is not a strong enough adjective!
<<

Volunteer

Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:26 pm

Re: Hi

Specifically on picking the brass brinks padlock, which there seems to be a ton of discussion on, I picked it by raking. I was shocked how quickly it opened this way, considering the spool pins. I want to learn to SPP but as far as just flat out working with a quickness, raking is the simplest way to open it.
<<

cyrano138

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:08 am

Welcome! Definitely work on SPP (I'm new myself). As tempting as raking can be, it only works in, in my experience, really really limited circumstances.
"One cyrano video was all that I needed to cure my serratatosus."
<<

Volunteer

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks! When I opened the Brinks, I raked it first, trying to get it into a false set, so that I could then go in and start trying to SPP it ( I watched jruthers video) and the damn thing just came open in my hands. I raked it maybe 3 times. I thought this might have been a fluke so I went back and did the same thing again, and it opened just like before. From all I had seen, and with my total lack of experience, I thought it would be much more difficult - also considering my homemade tools. But nonetheless, I still have much to learn about this lock.
<<

virul

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:05 am

hey and welcome

good job on ur homemade picking.
If i had some advice on starting out, i'd say get yourself a lock thats easy to repin like an american 5200 its got security pins, you can rearrange them or pins it one pin at a time it'll make for great practice. and maybe get a a decent small cheap set of tools or maybe a couple of individual picks when i got my first set a coupel of years ago, it was a 9peice south ord setand i only ever really used the hook and the 2 rakes, i had my house elocks open within 10 minutes and i was hooked.

Oh yeh i think winshield wiper inserts make the best all round tension tools they're pretty much all i ever use.

Happy picking.
I likes my locks like I likes my women, loose and easy to manipulate.
<<

Volunteer

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:47 am

I really appreciate the advice. I am planning on ordering a set of picks, but I'm trying to find out if I'm going to have a swat team show up with them when they're delivered! I used to live in Virginia, where they've got a prima facie stance on lock picks, they are illegal simply to have, without a certification of some sort. Tennessee, where I am now, has a little less cut and dried position on picks. They have to basically catch you in the act of using them to commit a burglary, which I would never consider doing. My number one issue is whether or not I can legally order them, and if not, whether anyone will care if I am just using them on my own property and on locks that I own.
<<

Volunteer

Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:36 am

Well, I ordered my first set of picks. I'm pumped, I'm pretty sure that I deciphered the Tennessee law. It seems to be perfectly legal for me to own these picks as long as I am not trying to operate a lock smithing business for profit. But he'll, if I get good enough, I may get certified.
<<

vienessewaltzer

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:37 pm

What kind of picks did you get?
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Volunteer wrote:..... but now I am in love with it! Addicted is not a strong enough adjective! .....

Indeed!! viewtopic.php?p=45168#p45168

Very good to meet ya... glad you're here... welcome aboard.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Volunteer

Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:23 pm

Thanks, I really appreciate it. It's something I've always been interested in and finally got around to doing! As for the picks, I bought a small set from southord, just the basics. And I also bought a small set that is hidden in a credit card, I bought these more as a novelty than anything. They claim they are stamped stainless steel, but I'm skeptical of the quality...we shall see.
<<

Warder

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:19 pm

Welcome to the group Volunteer. You'll learn plenty if you stick around, ask questions and comment occasionally.

Cheers!

Return to Introduce Yourself