FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Brand new to picking but i love it! It's so addictive!

<<

Smash

Post Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:38 pm

Brand new to picking but i love it! It's so addictive!

Hi everyone! Happy to be here, great forum!

I've only been picking for a couple of days and i broke my practice lock! I think it was a bad lock rather than me being rough. It's one of those cheap see through acrylic ones! It did the trick in letting me see how the pins work and stuff and was really easy to pick. The only other locks i have to play with are Yale, Asec/Vital, JMA, ERA and a couple of other "no names" 5 and 6 pin Euro cylinder locks. One has a symbol like the "Windows" logo on the key. I bought them on an eBay used locks deal. they all came with keys so for sure work ok.

Oh boy! These are a whole other animal! Like WHOLE other animal! I've been trying to pick these things for a day and a half and still not even got an "open" yet, not one! I've had a few clicks that i think are pins setting but maybe i'm over setting them or they are falling back in as soon as i move on to the next pin or whatever.

I have a cheap set of Chinese picks, i got the acrylic lock free with them. I also have a nice set of Multi pick Elite and i picked up a set of decent mixed tension tools as well.

All the gear... no i dear! lol
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:49 pm

Re: Brand new to picking but i love it! It's so addictive!

Welcome aboard! You may do yourself a favor by going to the hardware and picking up a couple of cheap locksets, or better yet, a restore where they sell used hardware? Kwikset comes to mind, but any low end stuff usually works for entry level. Grab a Master lock or two also. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum. Take a little bit of time to explore past posts. Most questions that come up are repeats. it may save you some time waiting for an answer. I'm Mark, again, welcome!
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

Smash

Post Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:06 am

Hi Mark, thanks for the welcome. I'm Terry! Thanks for the advice too, just the info i need.
I think the Euro locks are way too big a step up for me, probably a really obvious mistake for an experienced picker but hey ho! Every day's a school day right? I'll get back to them later! lol

I actually got the cheap set a while ago and picked the acrylic lock that came with it in about a minute. I put it down with the intention of getting more locks and picks etc to play with, but... I like electronics too and ended up doing something with that and forgot about the picking stuff.
When i remembered about the picking stuff i ordered a few more tools and locks with no knowledge of what i really needed. One quick post here and i have that info!
I'll get a couple of master locks and some easier stuff to pick to build up my knowledge base and read up a lot more on here too for sure. I also like the YouTube videos which are kinda like a demonstration so hopefully they'll help me also.

I've been hunting around the site and already found some great stuff. Loads more for me to look over too and having experienced lock pickers to ask things is invaluable for new guys like me.

Thanks again!
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:02 pm

Another thing you could do....If you decide this is for you, getting a few tools and the ability to rekey locks can stretch your lock base. Longer or shorter pins in varying combinations many times makes a lock pick completely differently. Used tools or "hobby size" products can usually be picked up pretty reasonably. A large number of locks in this world can be re-combinated from the same internal parts. Just a seed for your brain!
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

Smash

Post Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:02 am

Yes, that stuff looks really interesting too. There really are so many different ways you can "play" with locks. I've seen a few of the YouTube videos i watch doing it and like you say it can change the lock workings no end. It's so addictive!
<<

Smash

Post Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:11 pm

Picked my first 2 Euro locks today buddy! :-o

Well chuffed with myself! I was beginning to lose hope!

The first one i got it with a double snake or worm or something i think it's called, it's a :wrake: shape, then i did it with the :snakerake: and finished the last pin with a :longhook: . I did it 4 times to make sure it wasn't a "one off" lucky pick. Each time i got a little better, but still not to where i could do it in a quick minute or whatever and say that's me a picker now. I'll keep practicing now i've had an "open" though! I've also still got 4 other locks i've still to even get a lucky open on.

The second one i single pin picked with a renewed eagerness. I'm sure my pick was smoking hot at one point i was going so fast! lmao! It took me an age both times but i'm beginning to understand the feelings coming back of the pick and tension bar... a little.... i think! lol

Every journey starts with one step though right? I think opening the locks and playing around with the insides will help me understand a lot more too. Can you recommend a good "gutting" set for beginners or just get a cheap one to start with?

I got a cheap set of Chinese picks to start with then got a small Multi pick set to add to it and a set of 6 or 8 tension tools. That should do me for now on the picks i think. I also started sanding one of the cheap picks to get better purchase on the pins and it worked so i think i'm learning something for all the few days i've been at it.

Return to Introduce Yourself