FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

First time and looking for help

<<

Skydog2468

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:37 am

First time and looking for help

I am looking at manipulating this safe. Could anyone tell me what type of lock this is and best manipulation method to use?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Skydog2468

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:43 am

Re: First time and looking for help

I should also mention that when I hold the handle tight it seems like the contact point is between 17 and 26. Only 3 wheels pick up when I turn the dial.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:40 am

https://youtu.be/9gdEuD9akRA
Could try something like this.

This method is for direct entry type locks and direct entry variants. Your safe may have a different type of lock which will require you to try other means of manipulation.
<<

Skydog2468

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:46 am

I did try this method but I can't find any false gates. It only locks between 17 and 26. Therefore this method won't work on this lock.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:55 am

Yale HE lock, maybe? No false gates.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:01 am

What else have you tried? Does the dial bind or lock up when you put opening pressure on the handle while spinning?
<<

Skydog2468

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:06 am

The dial does not lock up, it only binds when putting pressure on the handle. I also tried the manipulating using the graph and I figure 66 is the 3rd number this is AWL. When I try AWR my graph is different and I get 56 as my number. I am just wondering if the wheels are sticking because it's an old lock.
If I find the last number, I am not sure where to go from here. The manipulation methods that I'm reading are a bit confusing. Do I pick up all the wheels AWL and stop on 66 and then go right (This is where I get lost in how many turns right before stopping on 100 then back to contact area) Is it right once to 100 then contact area then back to 98 and to contact 96....etc or do I need to go right twice and then to 100 and back to contact area and take reading. Also do I have to start all over and pick up all the wheels before I go to the next number 98,97,96?
If I can't find a solution, where about would I have to drill to insert my scope. Hi prefer not doing this and destroying a beautiful safe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Skydog2468

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:18 pm

Here is something I am noticing as trying the graph over. Starting at 100, 2,4,6 etc most of my contact points are at 16.75 and 27.75 with very little pressure on handle. When I get to 10 the reading sticks at 17.25 11 sticks at 18.5, 12 is 20.75, 13 is 20.75, 14 is 21.5, 15 is 23.0, 16 is 24.0, 17 is 25.0, 18 is 26.0, 19 is 27.0, 20 is 26.75, 21 is 26.0 22,23,24,25,26,27 is stiff and sticks at around 26 and hard to take a reading probably because it is in the contact area.
I am going to have to figure how to take a proper reading for the numbers that are in the contact area.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:09 pm

Get a practice safe lock and take the back off so you can see how it works, or a cut-a-way safe lock may help. Dave McOmie books may have the drill point.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:48 pm

https://youtu.be/8WEJHnzso5k
This safe looks similar and in the video are instructions that may help you figure how to dial you safe.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:53 pm

Welcome Skydog. This is a great place to learn and enjoy!

Any progress with this safe? Is there any interesting backstory to it? How it came to be locked, or how long its been locked?

Are you looking to get into manipulation, or are you more or less just after this one safe for now?

Looks like you have yourself a Baum, containing an OB-type lock; see HERE

Knowing what you're dealing with should be helpful. Beyond that I would suggest (as Jharveee mentioned) acquiring a practice lock. Use it to get familiar with wheel action/movement. It's certainly not impossible to open your first safe blindly (we've seen people do it here for their first time!)... but until you've done some homework, it can be difficult - not only for you, but for anyone that might tryn' help.

Skydog2468 wrote://.....I also tried the manipulating using the graph and I figure 66 is the 3rd number this is AWL. When I try AWR my graph is different and I get 56 as my number. I am just wondering if the wheels are sticking because it's an old lock.

The large discrepancy that occurs from one direction versus the other is normal for this lock (due to the screw-change wheels, rather than moveable flys).

Skydog2468 wrote://....If I can't find a solution, where about would I have to drill to insert my scope. Hi prefer not doing this and destroying a beautiful safe.

I believe there are areas of this forum (after qualifying) that are for destructive entry...
but keep in mind this sub-forum is strictly for discussion of non-destructive entry only.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."

Return to Introduce Yourself