FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

New Old Guy

<<

cracksman

Post Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:16 pm

New Old Guy

Howdy from Montana....names Dave....Safe and Vault tech retired
Been in the Lock and Safe Trade forty five years or so,...back when Dinosaurs walked the earth and when we actually repaired Locks not just R&R em...some here might remember those days.

I have worked in shops from Boston to Seattle and was was a member in good standing of many of the Lock and safe organizations, including Aloa, SAVTA, NSO MLA and others.

The thing i discovered for myself was that no matter how many years i have been shaking keys, picking locks,
spinning Dials or Popping car doors (all being only a very small part of being a Locksmith) ect, i could never learn it all.

Locksmithing is such a multi faceted and ever changing Trade that i don't believe any one man could ever hope to know it all...period.
Though i'm mostly retired now, i'll still be called out to bust a box (no! not that kind of box) every now and again.

Also each spring i still CC and service the hundred or so safes in Yellowstone park just to keep my hand in the game.
Looking forward to picking up some new tricks of the trade...atb...Dave
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:58 pm

Re: New Old Guy

Hi Dave, Mark here. I only have 44 years in the game so I guess you win! ;) (I am still working though so I may pass you yet!) There is an incredible amount of information on this site. I learned more about picking in 2 weeks here than in decades of ALOA classes and real life learning. I'm glad you took the leap to join us. Welcome aboard!
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

cracksman

Post Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:34 pm

Thanks Mark!...glad to make your acquaintance and i look for to chatting, swapping info and sharing stories in the future...Figured there would be a few old timers around, that's a good thing...atb...Dave
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:01 pm

Welcome - to KP you will fit right in buddy better late than never to the party as they say .... enjoy
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:21 pm

cracksman wrote:.....The thing i discovered for myself was that no matter how many years i have been shaking keys, picking locks,
spinning Dials or Popping car doors (all being only a very small part of being a Locksmith) ect, i could never learn it all......

Well said. I think that's what has kept me. Even if one were to choose a single
facet of this industry... you're still talkin' bout lifetime(S) worth of learning.

A big welcome to you Dave. Glad you're here. It's a wonderful place!!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:47 pm

Glad you joined us here on The Dark Side. Look forward to learning from you!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Introduce Yourself