FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Born SPP'n

<<

A1noob

Post Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:03 pm

Born SPP'n

Hello pickers!

Im new to the forum and rather new to lock picking in general. Came home one day after a little vacation with my wife and kids to realize we lost our house key somewhere between Colorado and NY, thankfully to the lock enthusiasts on youtube I used my wifes bobby pin and bent one of her heavy duty earrings for some tension and within about 5 minutes the door was open. I saved what little money we had not having to call a locksmith or smash a window and felt a kind of rush that in my opinion is rather addicting. So knowing very little about picking and the utensils used I went online and bought a 20 piece set for just over $5; which ive learned the hard way that you truly get what you pay for, and started watching, reading, and picking/raking everything in sight. When I first learned the art of spp'n and raking I quickly realized how much patients you need to spp and how little patience/knowledge you needed to rake and for quite awhile I stopped trying to spp and just raked! But the more I read and watched, the more I realized that I would be doing the lock and myself an injustice and could never call myself a picker if I didnt learn the art of true spp'n. Long story short im highly addicted to reading and essentially knowledge of any kind so I excelled far more quicker than I thought I would and ive spp'd everything I could legally get my hands on. Im curently stuck on a triple bitted Duo wafer lock and I've essentially be looking everywhere I could on the internet for a cutaway of some kind or even a picture of the inner workings and ive only came across a youtube video by locksmithlawyer (highly recommended) and a small thread on this forum which was what lead me to register to begin with. Though I havent been on here long ive read several threads and thankful theres a site like this where like minded individuals can share ideas, products, etc. I live in upstate NY and unfortunately theres very few if any real pickers that I can talk to about it, I ramble on to my wife all the time about different locks and such but she usually doesnt have a clue wth im talking about. Thanks again!
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:16 am

Re: Born SPP'n

Hello,
I'm thinking it's time to invest in new locks on your home.
<<

A1noob

Post Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:21 pm

Its actually a Sargent S keyway which im guessing is mastered because I live in an apartment complex but when we received a new key from our maintenance guy I looked at the bitting on the key and they are all the exact same bitting. You can literally put a pick and torque in and lift all the pins up at once and it rotates! Horrible bitting and security.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:31 pm

Sounds like you've caught the bug! This is a great place for addicts :D

A warm welcome to you sir!

Also, sorta beating a dead horse here, lol... but certainly worthy of mention...
We should always be hesitant of picking locks that are in use and do not belong
to us. The locks on your apartment no doubt contain master pins/wafers that can
create a variety of problems when the plug is rotated with no key in it.

Not picking locks in use was recently discussed in THIS thread. Good info.
Admittedly, some of what Mark points out, I've never even thought of before.

Anyway, what's done is done. On the upside, the inconvenience of being locked out
after your long trip... has brought you to discover a new passion you now enjoy!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

A1noob

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks Oldfast the thread you posted taught me quite a bit, never even crossed my mind when I was picking my locks in use how I could ultimately screw the whole lock up. And like you said some of the things Mark points out I honestly never knew or even thought of, you probably just saved me a bunch of time/money.

thanks again!

Return to Introduce Yourself