FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Portland n00b

<<

chumluk

Post Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:09 pm

Portland n00b

Hi all, finally knuckling down to learn some picking skills, details as follows:
* I'm 45yo, male, math teacher by profession;
* I've been picking earnestly for a few months-- I had some success raking at a TOOOL mtg, but SPP defiantly challenges my abilities as of this writing;
* I've been using a set of SouthOrd picks from 1986 (via an ad in the back of an Archies comic), but just got a BosnianBill-endorsed MadBob set that I hope will vigorously propel me towards competence;
* I mostly use a LearnLockpicking.com repinnable core and have SPP'ed up to 4 (std) pins (also 3 incl serrated), plus have raked several Master padlocks but am not sure I want to spend much time raking unless to build morale (which wouldn't be so bad-- I can get to feeling pretty witless);
* My current struggles are basic and boil down to tensioning correctly, which is something I vary but still can't quite "get";
* I educate myself through videos (eg, Lockpicking Lawyer) and books (eg, Deviant), so this forum is a new angle;
* I have everything I need (eg, vise, prybars), but again, persistent improvement has been elusive :(

Any insights/ advice welcome. Cheers!

~Chumluk
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:38 pm

Re: Portland n00b

Welcome to the forum and to lock picking!

I'm sure it won't shock you when I tell you practice is the only way to get better. Stick with it and challenge yourself, you should defiantly notice yourself getting better.

If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. This is a very friendly helpful forum.☺

As for the tools. We all started with that southord set lol. They are great starter picks, but for sure you'll want some better picks. I'm not a huge fan of madbob but others like them. I am a fan of Peterson or making my own. Mostly making my own.

Hope this helps! And welcome again!
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:32 pm

My biggest problem is tension.... I'm still having trouble getting it right with American Locks. Just need more practice.
macgng; it's completely unnecessary to have ~15$ in keys for a 50¢ lock ... but we all do it anyway :P
<<

entropy

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:45 pm

Perhaps you're already aware, but there is a Toool meeting taking place in Portland tomorrow evening (and indeed, every third Thursday). Google for "toool pdx" if you're interested.
<<

Pick-Fu

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:43 pm

hmmm, maybe some day I will have to pake it up to Portland to a toool meeting..
<<

chumluk

Post Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:48 pm

Heya, thx to all for the encouragement, I'm all too aware that there shall be no shortcuts. I am pondering a place to document my struggles, because as a teacher I think a lot about learning, and how I navigate my frustrations might be useful to record if not for someone else to gain from. Blog...?

Meanwhile, it has been a parade of obstacles between me & TOOOL-PDX. I have been several times, but haven't it found it particularly helpful. I know it's me who has to wiggle the picks (and yes, it would appear it's (almost) ALL about that tension), but maybe some one-on-one tutoring would be possible.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:59 am

Welcome from Arizona, chumluk.

The tools have a little to do with success in picking, but more important, as has been stated, is practice.

As for farmall's comment about difficulty with American Lock padlocks, listen to the clicks. Then it is easier to tell if you have a true set or just another serration. ;)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Josephus

Post Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Welcome from Arizona, chumluk.

As for farmall's comment about difficulty with American Lock padlocks, listen to the clicks. Then it is easier to tell if you have a true set or just another serration. ;)

You think so? I have great success discerning the difference in lifting pressure necessary to overcome a false set or shear line. A true set usually requires more pressure to overcome and in my experience with Americans, is always more. So just apply enough pin pressure to overcome serrations but not the shear. Then serrated pins pick themselves.

But you are totally right about the noise. Shear line is crisp as the driver has space to move. False set is the dull thud of the core smacking against the driver.
<<

Logan

Familiar Face

Post Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:46 pm

I found the spool pins in Brinks padlocks taught me a ton about tension and more importantly interpreting feedback early on. Then the crunchy delight in the pre-mastelock American Lock Co. locks. Practice, Practice, Practice. And most importantly have fun with the wonderful little puzzleboxes our locks are. :smile:
"My only definite plan is that in the future I'm definitely just using this screwdriver for screwing in screws" -The Doctor

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐
<<

Mike Looney

Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:44 pm

Logan wrote:I found the spool pins in Brinks padlocks taught me a ton about tension and more importantly interpreting feedback early on. Then the crunchy delight in the pre-mastelock American Lock Co. locks. Practice, Practice, Practice. And most importantly have fun with the wonderful little puzzleboxes our locks are. :smile:

Great advice. I will definitely try this as my tension needs work

Return to Introduce Yourself