FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Hello...Best way to clean ?

<<

NYC-10036a

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:27 pm

Hello...Best way to clean ?

Hello, am a new collector in the Big Apple. Got started when cleaning out old house and found a Walsco, and an Ilco. Has grown substantially from there to 100+.

Anyway, is alcohol my best bet to clean without ruining the patina? Simply want to remove grime without altering lacquer (if any) or the natural color. Also, would prefer a non toxic method. Thanks!
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:30 pm

Re: Hello...Best way to clean ?

If I'm trying to be extra careful with the patina on an old lock I'll just rub it with a soft cotton cloth.
For trouble spots, might use a dry toothbrush, or if there is crud to flake off I might use a plastic pick or scraper to gently loosen debris.

Alcohol might work, but unless someone with experience can tell us how it'll affect patina and lacquer I'd experiment first on an old lock that's trashed and valueless.
<<

NYC-10036a

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:33 pm

Ok, I shall await further responses. I have experimented on some throwaways with vinegar+salt, and also baking soda+lemon juice w varying degrees of success. Both certainly clean, but almost too well, if that makes sense.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:37 pm

Yeah, I would imagine vinegar or lemon juice would destroy patina.
Salt might scratch the surface unless it's completely dissolved, but then you run the risk of having it get inside and rusting steel parts like pins, springs, etc.
I'd guess even Baking Soda, as finely powdered as it is, would be mildly abrasive. It doesn't dissolve does it? Even in liquid I thought it only gets suspended when stirred in.
<<

NYC-10036a

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:40 pm

IMG_20151216_163750991.jpg
Used baking soda + lemon juice on this Fraim. Don't like result, which you can see:

IMG_20151216_163750991.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

NYC-10036a

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:51 pm

IMG_20151216_164810752.jpg
Glad I didn't mess w the Walsco..which has a great patina and feel in hand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by NYC-10036a on Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

NYC-10036a

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:54 pm

MBI wrote:Yeah, I would imagine vinegar or lemon juice would destroy patina.
Salt might scratch the surface unless it's completely dissolved, but then you run the risk of having it get inside and rusting steel parts like pins, springs, etc.
I'd guess even Baking Soda, as finely powdered as it is, would be mildly abrasive. It doesn't dissolve does it? Even in liquid I thought it only gets suspended when stirred in.

Nope, baking soda doesn't dissolve. It's a paste that dries. Then used cloth to wipe off.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:02 pm

Yea, vinegar or lemon juice are both acids that will destroy the patina. So will ammonia.

I usually use Brakleen to clean out my locks but that is both toxic and may affect lacquer but doesn't affect patina from what I have seen.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Scrince

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:04 pm

For old locks I soak them in Gun oil, Usually Safariland CLP and let them sit for a hour and then wipe them with a micro fiber cloth.
A spy is just a criminal with a government paycheck.....
<<

NYC-10036a

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:23 pm

Completely submerged?
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:28 pm

for old padlocks ,I do what RIY said use break cleaner in the cylinder, maybe twice, then blow it out with compressed air it will make a mess, beware !
Then I spray some trie flow into it, and let sit upside down over night.
I don't like to do much to the outside, exept rub it with the clean oil that comes out

I hate an old lock that looks like someone TRIED to made it look new, and shinny
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:16 pm

Alcohol does not clean the lock so much as make you think it is clean, even when it isn't. Enough alcohol, and you will look at the lock and say "Yep, it's clean enough. Pass me another one, Bill."

:mrgreen:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:40 am

Hello, anoher fellow NYer. Welcome to the board. I would first suggest that you read the forum because this topic has been raised several times, once by me aswell, and lots of great information. Im talking pages of comments.

I find alcohol doesnt clean because it evaporates too fast. WD40 is a great cleaning agent, Brake cleaner is also great but stinks, zippo lighter fluid is also good. If you are worried about lacquer then Im not sure what to recommend. I usually first blow out as much dirty as possible with compressed air then give a lock a good WD40 bath all while shaking out the excess then after the WD starts to come out clear, I dip it into brake cleaner or some degreaser and after spray with a dry lube. I also have a small thin brush that goes into most keyways. The main problem with dirt is that nothing on the market will clean it as we hope by spraying and it magically disappears. The key is to disrupt the dirt with the spray acting as a helping agent.

As for patina, STAY AWAY from anything that says it remove/cleans rust because it will also eat the patina BUT if let in a bath for some time. Penetrating oils are focused on rust, if used on a lock then cleaned off your fine but if you bath it for hours or days then your in trouble. I also use brake cleaner to darken my keys so if you give a lock a 3-5 day bath then it will get darker.

Forgot to mention a very useful product, very often overlooked with is completely safe on ANYTHING is dawn dish wash liquid. Its a very good degreaser especially the platinum one.

Where from NY are you from?
<<

NYC-10036a

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:53 pm

Thanks very much-- this is helpful..will look at previous posts too. I'm from Manhattan, you?
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:28 am

Haha sweet. I worked 5 years in the City until I moved to a new job/office 15m from home in Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn.

Return to Introduce Yourself