FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

newbe help

<<

dragonkingx

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:50 am

newbe help

Hi everybody im pretty new to lockpicking i first came across it while watching youtube and after seeing an series of vids it got me interested it in the hobby. i purchased an long shackle 5pin rekeyable lock witch i think is an masters 900 or 6230 series knockoff i am also unsure of the keyway and could upload some pics of if needed. also do you know where i can find different keypins for it so i could switch them out and practice picking the different security types? i dont need that many since its just me but an good mix securities would be great :). 2nd i decided to make my own picks and wanted to know what metal to use hacksaw blades or stainlees steel ? i heard good arguments for both and wanted to know witch one would be best?. any help in these matters will be appreciated Thanks :cool:
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:18 am

Re: newbe help

Welcome Dragonkingx. I have pin kits for master and american so I can get ya whatever pins ya need, just PM me. As far as pick material, I don't think you can beat a homemade pick made from an old stainless steel knife. How are you doing picking the padlock now?
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:01 am

Become proficiant picking the lock with it's current pin arrangement, then mix the pins up and pick it with all the different combinations you can come up with. Just remember, once you close the shackle you have to bear down and get it picked, because it won't open any other way once you jumble the pins. It's a good challenge. Good luck man.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

dragonkingx

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:54 pm

@ KokomoLock thanks for the pick advice i will go with the stainless for my pick, as for the lock i have not picked it yet because i am waiting for the equipment to arrive in mail to make the picks ie grinder, files, dremmel ect
<<

dragonkingx

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:05 pm

@ the lockpickkid Thanks i will keep that in mind
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:33 am

no problem, we were all new pickers once too, you get excited to get going and your looking to pick every lock in site. No need to spend the money on locks all the time, lots of times we forget that once you recombinate the pins you got a new lock to pick all over again. Also keep in mind as you progress that as more of us see your posts and see that your here to learn alot of members will trade locks with you or sell them sometimes cheaper than you will ever find anywhere else. Keep asking questions as you run into problems also, thats what this site is the best at, helping those who need some help.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:10 pm

first off welcome to KP.
Kokomolock is most correct.
Definitely avoid hacksaw blades,as no matter how much work and effort and time you put into grinding,polishing heating and quenching your steel, you are still left with a brittle pick,
that will most likely become snapped off and lodged deep within the recesses of your favorite lock.
(my point is you cant polish a turd,so to speak..)
stainless steel butter and steak knives are the best route,and windshield wiper inserts are a must-have item for any pickers arsenal,both for tension tools and picks.
do yourself a favor and start collecting them now...
lockpickkid also has a very valid point. we must first learn to crawl before we walk,and walk before we can run;so,yes pick the locks you have, until you are due to advance.
also, i think you mean DRIVER pins,. (the pins that contact the key are called "KEY PINS", and the pins in the bible,be they spooled ,serrated ,mushroom,or regular,are called "DRIVER PINS"
best of luck, and hope you do well in your endeavors.

awol
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

dragonkingx

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:04 am

@ lockpickkid Thanks for the advice and your right that is exactly how i feel now lol , when i see an lock outside i wonder if i am able pick it and find myself examining its features. i kind of figured once you change the pin setup you have a new lock but was not sure . once i get my picks i will be able tell if i really like this hobby for sure but from the looks of things i do :)
<<

dragonkingx

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:51 am

@ awol Thanks for the info i decided to go with the stainless, alot of picksets being sold cost to much and are mostly filler ( no good picks) but the ones on lockpickshop look pretty good i might give them a try while i make my own . i agree on the inserts they are pretty handy to have made a couple of tension tools so far but have not found ones big enough to make picks from yet i think those are truck wipers. i heard that the metal found in the flexible car shades could make good tension tools but i am not sure on that theory yet . As for the picking i plan to rake it open at first working my way up to the spp then practice it on different securities to build my skillset on those drivers (thanks for the correction)

Return to Introduce Yourself