FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Greetings Fellow Lock Lovers, From A Crazy New Member.

<<

Shearlock

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:05 pm

Greetings Fellow Lock Lovers, From A Crazy New Member.

Greetings everyone!

My name is Joe Riggs and I can't believe it's taken this long to sign up, life has been rather hectic! I knew there were lock picking communities out there, but this is just stellar. I kept hearing about this site and when I came to check it out yesterday, I had to join. I look forward to getting to know each of you and discussing our shared obsession. For now, here's a little bit about myself...

I have a rather unusual profession you might say. I am a 36 year old fairly well known Mentalist, Deductionist, Author & Consultant. I travel quite a lot and perform demonstrations and shows. I also use my particular skillset to consult with various agencies and corporations. To be clear, I put the term Deductionsit with Mentalist because my speciality is reading people, literally. The term Mentalist has unfortunately been abused my magicians but I won't get into that here. Needless to say I am not that. I have a peculiar background that includes being raised by very talented, yet fake, psychics. I was trained to be one as a child, learned to read people scary accurately. I became obsessed with Sherlock Holmes very young, and I mean, obsessed. To this day Holmes is my main inspiration and a big part of my work. To the point that I was recently profiled in the "The Great Detecitve" by Zach Dundas. I Digress...

I related to Doyle's stories, loved Holmes use of reading people without the need for fake psychic jargon and exploitation of peoples emotion. So, I devoted my life to just that, devoured every book on the subject, got a PhD in psychology and I use my particular talents in the aforementioned ways. Enough about my work, now on to lock picking!

I've been in love with lock picking for about 15 years now. Unfortunately my work and schedule caused my obsession to be put on the back burners for years at a time. Basically I would dive back into 24/7 lock picking for months, then it would fall by the wayside for a couple years, rinse and repeat ad nauseam. Until about six months ago...

Around six months ago I finished a long tour of traveling, performing and consulting and took some time off to write a second book. One day while plauged with a horrid case of writers block I dusted off my trusty old set of homebrew lock picks, and took a swan dive into an old box of locks I had in my office. The obsession was back and stronger than ever. I have literally been picking everything I can get my hands on everyday since. I discovered a whole world of lock picking obsessives on YouTube. BosnianBill and WizzleWazzle became regular programming, among many others.

I kept hearing about KeyPicking and finally yesterday I had to come check it out. An entire online community of people who see tension wrenches swaying back and forth on every windshield during a rainy day. ;)

I am very excited to be here. I look forward to getting to know all of you. Last thing I will mention, I am currently about to start filming a special for the Discovery channel focusing on my work. It's a very thrilling endeavor, and i'm truly honored. The reason I mention it is because, aside from showcasing my skills and so forth. However, I'm going to be performing a piece in which I get to incorporate lockpicking! I've always wanted to find a way to marry my love of picking locks into my main work somehow, and in this segment I get to finally do it. I won't bore you with the details, but given the nature of the demonstration, quite a few locks will be used, and some will be outside my level of proficieny. :serrated: :dblspool: I am practicing furiously, but I will be very happy to get help from some of you who are far better than I am.

Some remote consultants, so to speak. Sparrows was kind enough to put together a custom set that i'll be using in the special, very thrilled about that. My old homebrews have seen better days. Anyways, I feared i've rambled on too long and too much! Sorry for being so verbose, but it is after all an introduction.

A pleasure to meet you all.

-Shearlock
:prybar:
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:09 pm

Re: Greetings Fellow Lock Lovers, From A Crazy New Member.

Welcome to the forum.
<<

Shearlock

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:34 pm

The brevity of that response further illustrates how incredibly long I rambled. Lol.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:43 pm

Shearlock wrote:The brevity of that response further illustrates how incredibly long I rambled. Lol.

Ha! No, you're fine. You have an interesting background so I have no doubt you'll have some neat info to share as you participate in the forum. There's nothing wrong with being long winded if you're sharing useful info, or even if the story is just cool.

We also have a chat room, with the link near the top of the index page, there's folks in there more often than not.
<<

muddassarusa

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:02 pm

Welcome and enjoy here you can learn n share all together here. :razz:
<<

Neilau

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:17 pm

A BIG welcome Sir. :slainte:

Nice intro. Looking forward to seeing your input.

Post some pictures of your home brews.

This is a great site with very helpful and knowledgeable people.

You will find hours and hours of browsing to feed your addiction. :mrgreen:
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Shearlock

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:57 pm

Thank you indeed! I'll upload some pics soon. Also I'm opening a YouTube channel under 'Shearlock' for lock picking purposes. My primary is for work and performance related material.

I need to get my hands on some high security locks to prepare for filming as well as the YouTube thing. That's my next goal. I only have a couple that have security pins and I've picked them to death as it is.

Rebuilding the collection. I'd kill for 1/100th of BosnianBill's locks.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:01 pm

Shearlock wrote:I need to get my hands on some high security locks to prepare for filming as well as the YouTube thing. That's my next goal.

You can usually find a few items on the buy-sell-trade subforum here on this site and ebay often has good deals if you're not in a hurry and don't mind checking the listings daily.

If you want a website where you can just go browse and place an order, Security Snobs is probably your best bet.
https://securitysnobs.com/Collector-Locks/
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:35 pm

Welcome Joe... I'm Mike. Glad you're here.

Very interesting background, and very accomplished.

Looking forward to seeing you around. I'm sure you'll love it here!!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Shearlock

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:46 pm

Thank you, I've been perusing the topics and threads, love it already. Now off to wrestle with serated spool discus then sleep. Thanks again Mike.
<<

HT4

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:15 pm

Welcome... Clever username.
Check out my "LockPickingLawyer" YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos
<<

Shearlock

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:27 pm

Ha, thanks for saying so. Given my love for Holmes as well as locks, I was rather pleased with Shearlock. It's a keeper for me.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:32 am

Welcome!! My dad is a big Sherlock fan, I grew up reading many of the books.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Shearlock

Familiar Face

Post Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:38 am

Thank you! I've been a Holmes fanatic since I was none e, lol. And I can't complain, Holmes has been very good to me. So to speak. Also, love your YouTube videos! You're one of the people I've been watching on a daily basis. Looking forward to uploading some of my own once Used to live in Ohio too, Akron to be specific. Did a performance in Cincinnati not long ago as well. Lovely state. Would love to chat sometime. Thanks again!

-Shearlock
xeo: One day you're gonna come home and find your wife laying in bed naked with a medeco biaxial locking her chastity belt...
<<

Locks+Picks_Happy

Familiar Face

Post Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:24 pm

This story had me inthralled. I can defiantly see that you are a writer. I am relatively new here as well, and I cannot tell you how awesome this forum is! The special sounds very cool. Great user name...makes me wish I had put a little more (or any) thought into mine.

I look forward to seeing more posts from you!

Return to Introduce Yourself