FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

<<

Naljorpa

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Hello. I am a newbie to lock picking but I have always been interested in locks since I was a kid (I'm 77 now). Just bought some books, pics and tension tools; picked my first lock. Surprised the Hell out of me! I'm hooked! I bought some more locks and succeeded with Number two! I hope to learn a lot here.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:05 pm

Re: Newbie

Welcome to the Forum :)
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:10 pm

Welcome.
What locks are you picking? Practical Lock Picking by Deviant Ollam is one of my favorite picking books.
:smile:
<<

Neilau

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:50 pm

Big welcome Sir.

Someone older than me. :D

Having cracked a couple of locks you now know what the attraction is. That feeling when the cylinder turns.

Please keep us updated on your progress and ask many questions. You will find all the help you need here and also be amazed at the skills of some of the members. Plus the great photos. Many hours of fun.

Again, a BIG welcome. :slainte:
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

DroppedTensionWrench

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:54 pm

Hello and welcome to the hobby/addiction. This is the place to learn indeed. Congrats on your first 2 locks and many many more!
<<

HT4

Post Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:52 am

It's addictive, no doubt. Good luck with your new hobby, and welcome to KP.
Check out my "LockPickingLawyer" YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:25 pm

A warm welcome to you sir. Glad you're here :D
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Naljorpa

Post Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:55 pm

Thanks to all of you for the welcome! My first two were cheap "Fortress" padlocks which I raked to open. I tried and failed on a small "Master" padlock that is attached without a key to a suitcase belonging to my wife. I'll keep trying, but it is awfully small and hard to hold onto since it is on the luggage. Next I will try an "EZSET" deadbolt lock while I wait for a set of progressive locks I have on order. I have PRACTICAL LOCK PICKING, by Deviant Ollam and VISUAL GUIDE TO LOCK PICKING plus some others from the internet. I have limited time at the moment with my and daughter about to travel (separately to different destinations) and such. I can see that I have gotten into something very addictive!
<<

Oldfast

Post Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:15 pm

And... if you're a visual learner, youtube is an incredible source for learning.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

freek007

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:53 am

Welcome! I am sure you will find lots of useful info here. If you are interested in making some tools out of music wire, I have just obtained a rather epic amount of it and am giving it away (see post in Buy, Sell & Trade) just send me a SASE.

I've been considering both those books (I have lockpicking detail overkill and LI's guide to lockpicking right now, both free). Could you tell me pros/cons of each or an "if you could only have one" type of review?

Cheers!
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:11 am

Hello and yes a big welcome to you. You have came to the right place. There are thousands of hours of learning and so much more but the best part of KP (keypicking) are the gents here, every one is extremely nice and always happy to help as you can see above Freek007 is offering everyone free music wire for tension or lever tools.

As for book, I only own Lauren's book but thats more about Antique locks, my main school is youtube which has helped me and continue to help daily.
<<

Josephus

Post Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:23 pm

Those tiny luggage locks are a little different. They usually have three pins and very dainty springs. Try a snake rake or similar as a jiggler-key but still use a tensioner. Barely hold on to it as you move it around. The weight of a heavy pick is just about enough to overcome the springs.
<<

Naljorpa

Post Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:03 pm

OK, thanks! I will try to rake the little lock (and my wife gave me 4 more without keys). Also, thanks for the info about three pins in them.
<<

Naljorpa

Post Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:38 pm

Today I received my progressive lock set and was able to open the two pin lock several times by actually picking the lock (not raking)! What a feeling! The only difficulty I have is arthritis in my thumbs which makes for excruciating pain after a while of working on a lock. Anyway, I plan to keep using the two-pin for a while before I move to number three. I find myself constantly thinking about locks when I'm not reading about them! My wife is unimpressed. :kik:
<<

Neilau

Post Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:09 pm

Hi Naljorpa

I know both problems.

I can’t offer any advice re: the wife. :D

I can offer some suggestions for the picks.

There is no reason why pick handles need to be thin except that you can fit more of them into a pouch/wallet. Since you won’t be carrying them around outside your home – I assume – there is no reason why you can’t thicken up the handles.

Perhaps the easiest way is to wrap electrical tape around the handles in bands. Make it as thick as you like. You can then put some heat shrink tube over that to give a nicer look and feel to the handle – or not –up to you.

If you want to get a bit more flash, you can epoxy wooden handles of any thickness you like. Even glue some pop sticks together then tape or heat shrink them.

The aim is to get a comfortable handle so that your hands don’t get sore. The old “Arthur ritis” is a bummer but there are things that can be done to make your tools more comfortable to use.

If possible, use a vice to hold the locks

I’m sure that you will come up with something so that you can indulge in your new passion without causing too much pain.

There are quite a few options. I'm sure other members will have some ideas.

Cheers.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
Next

Return to Introduce Yourself