FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

+1 forum member

<<

aeporia

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:46 pm

+1 forum member

Hai,

Two years ago I bought a starter set off the TOOOL US website after discovering both Deviant Ollam and BosnianBill’s YT content.

I’ve been lurking as a non-member on some of the lock forums, and decided to make a profile after seeing Flywheel’s awesome ‘pin-in-pin’ design recently.

I’m German, but live in Down Under, so I mostly dabble with Lockwoods, with the ambition of BiLocks as a distant target… someday. (:

I’ve thrown up a few first recordings too—

I’m up for trading homebrews — both picks, and locks (challenge, or otherwise). (:

Oh, and here are two snaps of a current project, extending Flywheel’s PiP idea by introducing a tiny spring onto the nail/inner driver pin. Been finding this gives two different degrees of springy-ness to that pin stack depending on what is caught up — if you’re pushing on the nail you get the main spring; if you push on the jacket you get both the nail’s spring, and the main spring. I can’t pick this currently.

<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:00 pm

Re: +1 forum member

Welcome.
<<

HT4

Post Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:26 pm

Welcome.

Interesting project you have going. Looks very promising. One suggestion... Instead of nails, consider using ilco's bump halt pins. If they work, it looks like they look like they could save you some time, they are brass, and you would have a slicker product in the end. Good luck.

Pic from my box of nastiness:

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my "LockPickingLawyer" YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:40 pm

Welcome mate. You made a smart decision making an account here!

Much enjoy when talented gents come out from the shadows.
<<

aeporia

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:41 am

Cheers, and thanks Papa.

HT4 wrote:Welcome.

Interesting project you have going. Looks very promising. One suggestion... Instead of nails, consider using ilco's bump halt pins. If they work, it looks like they look like they could save you some time, they are brass, and you would have a slicker product in the end. Good luck.

[…]

I did contemplate using anti-bump t-pins, but didn’t have any on hand. Getting pins has actually been difficult for me.*

(I’d appreciate any advice on good places where I could order pins online.) :>

The lack of pins made me resort to using nails — in part I didn’t trust my ability to keep to tight tolerances in thinning down pins to fit as the inner drivers on my makeshift lathe), and in part too because I had a drill bit that perfectly matched the diameter of the nails, meaning I could retain their existing polished finish and not modify them beyond clipping them down to size.

* Bit of a tale: when I was looking to get a Lockwood pinning kit and inquired locally no locksmith here was willing to obtain and sell me any. Most claimed it was illegal to sell them to unlicensed folk, or that they needed all theirs and don’t do custom orders for them. I ended up finding one for ~$120 AUD on a locksmithing supply site (who only sold to licensed Aussie member businesses, so no go), and finally ended up grabbing one from Brockhage for like $60 USD.

Mate, if someone repinning your lock is a security concern you have way bigger problems…

(:

I’ve just completed pinning one of these up and cutting a key for it — thinking of doing another. Mhh… I’d actually be keen to send one of these out to someone as a challenge and to get a feedback & a second opinion on the double-spring…
<<

escapenrv

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:16 am

Welcome, we are glad to have you even if you do build EVIL challenge locks. Keep up the good work. Look forward to seeing your future projects.

Steve
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:33 am

OOOH very nice
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

HT4

Post Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:29 pm

aeporia wrote:I did contemplate using anti-bump t-pins, but didn’t have any on hand. Getting pins has actually been difficult for me.*

(I’d appreciate any advice on good places where I could order pins online.) :>

The lack of pins made me resort to using nails — in part I didn’t trust my ability to keep to tight tolerances in thinning down pins to fit as the inner drivers on my makeshift lathe), and in part too because I had a drill bit that perfectly matched the diameter of the nails, meaning I could retain their existing polished finish and not modify them beyond clipping them down to size.

* Bit of a tale: when I was looking to get a Lockwood pinning kit and inquired locally no locksmith here was willing to obtain and sell me any. Most claimed it was illegal to sell them to unlicensed folk, or that they needed all theirs and don’t do custom orders for them. I ended up finding one for ~$120 AUD on a locksmithing supply site (who only sold to licensed Aussie member businesses, so no go), and finally ended up grabbing one from Brockhage for like $60 USD.

Mate, if someone repinning your lock is a security concern you have way bigger problems…

(:

I’ve just completed pinning one of these up and cutting a key for it — thinking of doing another. Mhh… I’d actually be keen to send one of these out to someone as a challenge and to get a feedback & a second opinion on the double-spring…

1 - I order most of my pinning stuff from clksupplies.com ... including security pins. Their security pin kit is a pretty good deal for the hobby picker IMO because it gives a nice selection of pins without the need to buy a full pack of each. Not sure if they will ship to you.

2 - LOL. True. No idea what the logic behind restricting pins would be... other than, perhaps, locksmith industry protectionism.

3 - If you don't mind shipping to the USA, I'd love to try your lock out!!! Either on a try and return basis, or as a trade. Send me a PM if you are interested. If I'm successful dealing with your deviousness, I'll make a video and put it on my YT channel.
<<

aeporia

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:52 am

HT4 wrote:1 - I order most of my pinning stuff from clksupplies.com ... including security pins. Their security pin kit is a pretty good deal for the hobby picker IMO because it gives a nice selection of pins without the need to buy a full pack of each. Not sure if they will ship to you.

2 - LOL. True. No idea what the logic behind restricting pins would be... other than, perhaps, locksmith industry protectionism.

3 - If you don't mind shipping to the USA, I'd love to try your lock out!!! Either on a try and return basis, or as a trade. Send me a PM if you are interested. If I'm successful dealing with your deviousness, I'll make a video and put it on my YT channel.

Cheers—

1 - I’ll see if they ship to Oz.

2 - That’s what was on my mind.

3 - Mhh. Deal. How about I’ll shoot it over to ya on the proviso that I get some feedback, and, if you like the lock (I’ll throw the core in a lower-range, but new & imho muche prettier padlock body), you can keep it and we can trade something; else you can send it on to someone else? (:
<<

HT4

Post Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:22 am

aeporia wrote:Cheers—

1 - I’ll see if they ship to Oz.

2 - That’s what was on my mind.

3 - Mhh. Deal. How about I’ll shoot it over to ya on the proviso that I get some feedback, and, if you like the lock (I’ll throw the core in a lower-range, but new & imho muche prettier padlock body), you can keep it and we can trade something; else you can send it on to someone else? (:

Excellent! I'll pm you my address.

I'll send you some stuff also, including a challenge lock that I made that's been kicking my butt. Pic of innards below (I don't believe in surprises). The nasty parts are (1) the very heavy spring tension on 2 and 6, (2) the pockets milled into 1 and 4 to catch and hold the spools, (3) the tricky Corbin warding, and (4) the bitting on 6. I open this one occasionally, but never in less than 20-30 min... Usually longer. How about I throw in an American padlock also, if you don't get the in Australia? I have many, and they are really fun picks. I'll send some security pins for you to play with as well (since they seem so hard to get there). :cool: send me your address.

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:40 pm

Welcome to KP!

Hell of a first post showing your custom pin-in-pin beauty. You've even added your own twist with the springs - so cool!
I'd love to see more photos of your handiwork, so keep us posted as you create new stuff.

Kind regards,
Sean
<<

aeporia

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:35 am

Open! Got it on the 5th proper try, in ~4–5mins. I think knowing exactly what is where inside helped me enormously. The PiP w/ extra spring stacks behave pretty oddly. There is a time right before the end where you gotta be really aggressive with; but other times where you need to be pretty gentle (some of the outer jacket picking, and clearing the nail at the very end).

I think a particular (dunno what?) combination of security pins would make the pick more difficult (and tighter tolerances on the PiP components probably too).

VancouverSpecial71 wrote:Welcome to KP!

Hell of a first post showing your custom pin-in-pin beauty. You've even added your own twist with the springs - so cool!
I'd love to see more photos of your handiwork, so keep us posted as you create new stuff.
Sean

Cheers. I might make a thread soon in the homebrew section for some of my tools.

Here’s an old snap from some of the very first few bogatas I was trying to make, outta street sweeper bristles:

HT4 wrote:Excellent! I'll pm you my address.

I'll send you some stuff also, including a challenge lock that I made that's been kicking my butt. Pic of innards below (I don't believe in surprises). The nasty parts are (1) the very heavy spring tension on 2 and 6, (2) the pockets milled into 1 and 4 to catch and hold the spools, (3) the tricky Corbin warding, and (4) the bitting on 6. I open this one occasionally, but never in less than 20-30 min... Usually longer. How about I throw in an American padlock also, if you don't get the in Australia? I have many, and they are really fun picks. I'll send some security pins for you to play with as well (since they seem so hard to get there). :cool: send me your address.

Saw your PM — I’ll reply.

Sounds nice, thanks. I’ve got one American, “Series A1100”, with a bunch of extra serrated and spool spares… somewhere. It’s a fun pick.

Do you like bogies? I’ve been making a whole bunch recently, in Rai’s format — I can throw one or two of ’em in too if you like. (:
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:42 pm

Welcome! Nice ppl around here.
:hbg:
Those homebrew Bogotas look nice. I got very lucky and had awol make me something similar. It's one of my go to tools... (awol is a legend around here :D )
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:00 pm

I'm a bit behind on the 'welcome wagon'.... but welcome!

Very much looking forward to seeing you around here.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."

Return to Introduce Yourself