FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Hello From ATX

<<

freek007

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:32 pm

Hello From ATX

Hey all, just wanted to pop in and say hello!

Newbie here, have had a "James Bond" credit card type "lock pick kit" for a while now and have toyed with it off and on for a few years now. HAd reasonable success, I guess, but am now looking into getting some real tools and honing my skills. My wife now says its justifiable for me to spend more money on the hobby since I have been using my crappy picks for a while now and out grown them. Only really been working on padlocks, and nothing wtih security pins yet. I can get a 5 pin open most of the time, but it takes me quite a while and there is a lot of cursing involved, lol.

If anyone has good suggestions on practice locks, I am all ears as that is probably my first purchase. Space and cost are a concern, so I am looking at the 6 pin "EZ Rekey cutaway lock". Anyone have any experience with it? I know it isnt the best, but is it sufficient to learn?

I read that HT4 picks 10 of the same type of lock in a row, then mix them up. That sounds like a very effective way to practice, but I really cant afford (by way of funds or space - again till the wife says I can) to start getting sets of 10 (or even 5) of several different lock types.

As such I am considering the easily re-keyable cutaways. I like that it comes with spool pins and options to get serrated as well, kind of a jack of all practice locks, master of none, and that its way cheaper than buying multiple practice locks. I wont benefit from going on lock straight to another, but that level of training may have to wait a bit.

Anything else I should be looking at as an alternative?

Thanks Folks!
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:45 pm

Re: Hello From ATX

This is an awesome value in an easily rekeyable practice lock, assembled and sold by a member here.

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7972

As for cutaways, they are good for understanding how locks work, but I recommend against them for picking practice. The feel is just... wrong.
<<

freek007

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:55 pm

:drool: WAAAANT IIIIITTT!!

Thanks for that, that's the reason I joined, great advice!
<<

HT4

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:55 pm

freek007 wrote:
I read that HT4 picks 10 of the same type of lock in a row, then mix them up. That sounds like a very effective way to practice, but I really cant afford (by way of funds or space - again till the wife says I can) to start getting sets of 10 (or even 5) of several different lock types.

Welcome (again). I'm a new member myself, but it seems like a great community. I'm sure you'll like it here.

As for practice locks, It doesn't have to be pricy. eBay is your friend. By way of example, these particular locks averaged less than $.50 each (no keys, and no circlips on the backs of several). Of course, I've spent far more on other locks, but you don't have to.

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my "LockPickingLawyer" YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:55 pm

Welcome! This is an amazing community. Glad you're here. I'm Mike

And, as HT4 mentioned... ebay :D Over the course of several years
I've been a VERY patient ebayer and have a fair collection today.
Nothing special or spectacular... but if I added up all my receipts
you (and I) would probably be floored with the overall low total.

Same applies for tools really. I was able to have loads of fun
for quite sometime with just a handful of picks and tensors.

On the other hand, this can be a VERY expensive hobby IF you want it to be. lol
Something for everyone really. There's tons of cool shit you could drop a small
fortune on... OR... there's plenty to be had for someone on a shoe-string budget.

All in all, I'd say there's MUCH more expensive hobbies out there
to choose from. But good luck convincing your wife of that. lol
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

freek007

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:56 am

Thanks, Guys. Yea I really do feel welcome, very nice community here, and knowledgeable. Right now, space is the largest concern. I have several hobbies, and while this one would take up the least space, if I bring in another rubbermaid container to hold a bunch of locks, I might be sleeping outside... LOL.

So I am likely going to start with a rekeyable for now, and slowly keep accepting padlocks from friends cause its easier to justify if its a gradual and free acquisition. Thanks again guys, really enjoying the community so far...

Return to Introduce Yourself