FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Hey All!!!

<<

StreetShotz

Post Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:36 pm

Hey All!!!

Ok, so here I am. Brand new to all of this.
Started of playing around about a year ago simply because I lost the key to a padlock. Used some things I made around the house and ended up getting in.
Finally placed and order last week for a set of picks and some practice locks to learn how to properly get this done.

Looking forward to enjoying locksports and learning from everyone here.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:52 am

Re: Hey All!!!

Welcome StreetShotz. I'm Mike. Good to meet ya & glad you're here :D

So what pick set did you order? What kinda locks do you have on the way?
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

StreetShotz

Post Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:29 pm

Thanks for the welcome Mike.

I ordered up the Sparrows Monstrum XXL set. Figured it was a good bang for the buck and should last me a while before I need to start adding anything to it.
I also grabbed the set of Sparrow progressive lock set to play with.

I have a number of locks that have been given to me or found that have no keys. I find garage sales are a great place for that sort of thing.
At this point, I have not had to much luck with opening anything that I already have as the pics that I have made on my own are not the best of quality. Hoping that a proper set of picks will help out.
<<

Neilau

Post Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:54 pm

Welcome StreetShotz.

You will enjoy yourself here.

I don't think that you will find the Monstrum set very useful, Great case though.

I have had a play with them and I found them too big to be of much use. You will probably have to get a set of regular size picks. Probably the best Sparows set, in my opinion, is the Competitor.

Get a couple of :shorthook: in different sizes, one of these :bogota: and one of these :halfdiamond:

You'll find that after a while you will be using the same couple of picks for nearly everything.

Anyway, let us know how you go with the Monstrums and again welcome.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:23 am

Welcome to the forum - nice to see a fellow picker from beautiful BC :)

You landed in a very friendly community of pickers, spinners, hackers, collectors...etc. Be sure to post your questions as they come up as there are tons of knowledgable folks around here. Although when you're starting out you can find almost everything you could possibly need by reading past threads - tons of amazing information to be found here, tons.

I too got started with a set of Sparrows picks - easier to get ahold of with no extra shipping charges from the US to pay - good stuff. Also, the progressive pinned locks are a great way to hone your skills.

Another tool for practicing that is available on ebay is a 7-pin re-pinnable mortise cylinder that comes with extra pins, including two kinds of security pins and keys. It also has set screws for each cylinder and comes with an allen key so you can easily swap out pins without having to pull the plug out. The seller is a member here by the name of MrWizard. I know I'm sounding a bit like a salesman or something LOL but I don't have any conncection to the seller - I just used the heck out of mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Improved-Super-Max-7-Pin-Easy-Rekey-Practice-Lock-Spool-and-Serrated-Top-Pins-/321791274079?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aec412c5f

There's a thread he started here:
http://keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7972&hilit=super+max+7+pin+lock

Kind regards,
Sean

edit - to fix brain malfunctions
<<

StreetShotz

Post Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:51 am

Neilau wrote:Welcome StreetShotz.

You will enjoy yourself here.

I don't think that you will find the Monstrum set very useful, Great case though.

I have had a play with them and I found them too big to be of much use. You will probably have to get a set of regular size picks. Probably the best Sparows set, in my opinion, is the Competitor.

Get a couple of :shorthook: in different sizes, one of these :bogota: and one of these :halfdiamond:

You'll find that after a while you will be using the same couple of picks for nearly everything.

Anyway, let us know how you go with the Monstrums and again welcome.

I have been a lurker for a while now on here but had not joint till I ordered up a set of proper picks.
When you say "too big" what are you referring to?
I had an opportunity to play around with a friends set and they seemed rather comfortable to use. I guess we will see how they work out :P Can always add or take away from the kit but I figured it would be a good base for me to start with.
<<

StreetShotz

Post Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:54 am

VancouverSpecial71 wrote:Welcome to the forum - nice to see a fellow picker from beautiful BC :)

You landed in a very friendly community of pickers, spinners, hackers, collectors...etc. Be sure to post your questions as they come up as there are tons of knowledgable folks around here. Although when you're starting out you can find almost everything you could possibly need by reading past threads - tons of amazing information to be found here, tons.

I too got started with a set of Sparrows picks - easier to get ahold of with no extra shipping charges from the US to pay - good stuff. Also, the progressive pinned locks are a great way to hone your skills.

Another tool for practicing that is available on ebay is a 7-pin re-pinnable mortise cylinder that comes with extra pins, including two kinds of security pins and keys. It also has set screws for each cylinder and comes with an allen key so you can easily swap out pins without having to pull the plug out. The seller is a member here by the name of MrWizard. I know I'm sounding a bit like a salesman or something LOL but I don't have any conncection to the seller - I just used the heck out of mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Improved-Super-Max-7-Pin-Easy-Rekey-Practice-Lock-Spool-and-Serrated-Top-Pins-/321791274079?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aec412c5f

There's a thread he started here:
http://keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7972&hilit=super+max+7+pin+lock

Kind regards,
Sean

edit - to fix brain malfunctions

I will have to check out that one on eBay.
Yes, one of the reasons for going with the Sparrow set was its availability up here :P Was rather happy to find them over in Toronto and save me the time/taxes/exchange of picking up a set from the US.

Hoping that they arrive here on Monday so I can get started with a proper set of picks.
Glad to see that there are other BC folk on here. I'm out in Chilliwack......been looking to see if there are any local picking clubs or anything like that.
<<

Neilau

Post Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:45 pm

Hi again

What I meant by "Too big" is that the blades of the Monstrum set are too wide (not thick) to fit into a lot of key ways. You need a pick that will go all the way into the key way without lifting any pins and have a bit of room to work.

You will see what I mean when you start using them.

Like you say you can (and will) add to them. I have a lot of Sparrows picks and they are fairly comfortable. I say fairly only because I prefer thicker handles - old hands - The Sparrow picks that I used a lot I rehandled but doing that means that they don't all fit into the pouch.

After a while you might get into making your own - another whole area of fun.

Cheers.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

<<

StreetShotz

Post Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:22 pm

Neilau wrote:Hi again

What I meant by "Too big" is that the blades of the Monstrum set are too wide (not thick) to fit into a lot of key ways. You need a pick that will go all the way into the key way without lifting any pins and have a bit of room to work.

Like you say you can (and will) add to them. I have a lot of Sparrows picks and they are fairly comfortable. I say fairly only because I prefer thicker handles - old hands - The Sparrow picks that I used a lot I rehandled but doing that means that they don't all fit into the pouch.

Cheers.

Thanks for that bit of info. I never really considered that when looking for picks. I looked at the reach of the pick and the thickness of the metal but never considered the girth.
I'm a real beginner so I guess I will see how it pans out. I have my eye on some other goodies as well......always been a bit of a tool collector haha.
I suppose, if I were to file or sand down the picks I could get more use out of them as well.
<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:21 pm

StreetShotz wrote:

Cheers.

Thanks for that bit of info. I never really considered that when looking for picks. I looked at the reach of the pick and the thickness of the metal but never considered the girth.
I'm a real beginner so I guess I will see how it pans out. I have my eye on some other goodies as well......always been a bit of a tool collector haha.
I suppose, if I were to file or sand down the picks I could get more use out of them as well.

Just for clarification the Monstrum XXL set has the Monstrum set of 10 picks plus another 11 of Sparrow's standard picks (basically everything except some of the newer single picks which includes the .015 thick ones).

If I'm not mistaken, Neilau's comments are referring to the shank "height" of the Monstrom set of 10 picks - not to the other standard Sparrows picks included in the set.
<<

Neilau

Post Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:34 pm

Edit:

VancouverSpecial71 is correct. If you get the XXL set you will be well set up. I was referring just to the Monstrum set.

I missed the XXL bit in your post.

Sorry 'bout that.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:34 pm

I concur with Neilau.

With the XXL kit, you are good to go, but had you ordered the Monstrum set (not XXL), I would foresee difficulties due to their size.

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself here & learn a lot.

...Mark
<<

StreetShotz

Post Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:48 pm

Well thats all good news for me then.
Awesome help thus far. Cant wait to give it a try....hoping they arrive tomorrow and I can give it a go.
<<

StreetShotz

Post Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:09 pm

Got my picks and practice locks!!!!

Very happy with the picks, loads of usable stuff in there.
I have managed the 2 and 3 pin locks with very little ease. The 4 pin I'm having more difficulty with. I can pick it but it take me some time, and to be honest, its more blind lick (bitch picking) than knowing what's going on. I Can rake it open no problem tho. I think when I try and set the 4th pin that I end up over setting the #1 pin.
More practice and I will get it I'm sure.

I also picked a Chinese Masterlock #2 after a few minutes. Lost the key to it many many years ago and wanted to see if I could get it. Always satisfying to hear that click as it opens.

Spent 6 hours picking yesterday......time sure flys.
<<

HT4

Post Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:22 pm

Cheers.

I did the same thing... While I have light touch with the pick, I usually keep an absolute death grip on the picks themselves. I would bend the sparrows picks in my hand. But I didn't want to abandon the picks because they really are pretty nice (though it's not my current preference). Here's what I did: I took the rubber off, cut handles out of .035" thick sheet steel, spot welded everything together, then re-dipping the handle. Huge improvement in feel and in feedback IMO.

PS - Welcome to the board and the hobby SS! I pretty new here myself but it seems like a pretty good crew.
Check out my "LockPickingLawyer" YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos
Next

Return to Introduce Yourself