FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Howdy from the PNW

<<

pacifico

Post Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:15 pm

Howdy from the PNW

Hello everyone and thanks for having this community! The members here write tremendously detailed and interesting posts, I've really enjoyed reading Oldfast's posts on Americans and Slaymakers and JimyLong's slide deck on making Bogotas.

I've been able to pick at the Master #3/#5/#1/Kwikset level for several years now but back in October I was at a regional security conference and me and my partner dropped in to the lockpick village some friends had set up where I had pretty good luck opening a number of the locks they had there which planted the seed -- "I could be pretty good at this if I practice a bit more" -- and around the start of the year (having spent December working over the picking-designated masters, KWs, chinese no-names and a stray wafer lock) I decided to challenge myself a bit more. I got myself a couple cheap used Bests (one looks to be a well worn and nice and open :BESTg:), an American and most recently a lot of 6 Sargent and 6 Corbin Russwin keyless mortise cylinders to do some progressive pinning experiments (without care for keeping track of bitting). I may get out to the local TOOOL meeting again one of these days...

At the moment security pins can still confound me. I can open a Master 140 SPP but not with consistency (incidentally my partner "accidentally" re-discovered the viability of bypass with these locks while probing around aggressively with a hook! That lock has never been the same since, but I cautiously probed into this lock with a tungsten carbide cutter to produce a savage cutaway to see how that technique was working, so it was a worthwhile sacrifice.) There's also this dang "Chinrose" that I got open within mere seconds from first picking it up, but never since. So that's what I'm working on, skill-wise.

Now that I'm starting to get a better feel for what tools work for me I'm starting to experiment with making my own tools and have been working on a TOK tensioner from some ground-out bike spokes.

Anyhow, glad to be on here and maybe some time I'll post some of my SWL recordings to the CQ DX subforum. Thanks for the great posts everyone!
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:29 pm

Re: Howdy from the PNW

Really good intro post.

Welcome!

Roll through the chat/
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:18 pm

Welcome! :smile:
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:28 pm

Hello, hello. A big welcome to your sir!

It can be difficult to resist that drive to move on to bigger & better challenges- I'm guilty.
But it's never a bad thing to hang out with intro-locks for a little longer than you'd like!
A good solid foundation of the fundamentals can go a long way & stay with you forever.

But there's also something good about pushing your limits too. lol
Anyway, all I'm getting at is that I think you're off to a great start.

This is an absolutely wonderful place. You're gonna love it. I do!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:16 am

Glad you joined us. Welcome to Lockpickers Not-So-Annonymous. I'm Gordon, and I'm a lockaholic. ;)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:04 pm

Welcome to the forum. You've definitely found a great place to be. Plenty of great guys here willing to share, bounce ideas around or help out.

Feel free to rattle that keyboard and ask questions til yer fingers bleed, if necessary. Every day is a school day here. There's always something new or something forgotten.

And, without doubt, drop by the Chat some time.

Look forward to seeing you around.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

pacifico

Post Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:22 pm

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!

Oldfast -- I definitely struggle with that "progress" urge. Basically my routine is to pick all the familiar locks and then work on one or two "above my grade." Doing this, I've discovered my ability to pick Masters is a good proxy for judging fatigue :P

It looks like the webchat is something built in and not just an IRC gateway? I'll need to stop by one of these evenings...

Return to Introduce Yourself