FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

got me a JC Higgins .22 rifle

<<

Squelchtone

Post Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:26 pm

got me a JC Higgins .22 rifle

Hi guys,

I was taking a drive in the country yesterday and stopped by a gun shop I had never visited before. It was the usual situation of some older guys behind the counter with suspicion in their eyes. Not a very welcoming feeling, which I unfortunately see all of the place in New England gun shops. Anyways.. I like used guns and buying things for a good bargain, and noticed some nice old rifles on one of the racks. I always wanted a bolt action .22LR rifle for plinking, it sure is quieter than my AK47 and cheaper to shoot, but honestly I've never been stingy with using up my ammo. I saw a nice old JC Higgins 'store brand' which had Sears and Roebuck stamped under the name. It was one of those 1950's 1960's rifles you could order out of a Sears or JC Penney department store catalog. They wanted $100 for it and I bought it right away. Looking up the model number, 103.228, it shows that it is a Marlin Model 80 rifle. I took it to the range and boy is it fun to shoot! very accurate as well just using the iron sights.

I was a little surprised about the limit on how many boxes of ammo I could buy, they only sold me 2 boxes of 50 rds 22LR for $3.99 each box. What's this world coming to when I cant buy 555 rounds of 22? I hope this shortage ends soon.

Here are some photos I found on an auction website: http://www.gunauction.com/buy/12177952/ ... olt-action

=)
Squelchtone
<<

ARF-GEF

Post Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: got me a JC Higgins .22 rifle

Congrats on the nice find Squelch, I don't know shit about guns but that seems to be a really good buy.
As for the ammo limit, you can walk into another store and buy more ammo without problems right?
To infinity... and beyond!
=== WARNING DANGER OF TYPOS!===
Arfspeak: calnin cladycomes: you allow her key in themodning
Equals in plain English: cleaning lady comes: you allow her key in the morning
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:00 pm

What an excellent find! It's hard to find a decent bolt-action 22 for that low of a price.

A rifle like that is one of the most versatile and practical firearms you can get. One of the best tools for teaching basic gun safety and marksmanship. You can hunt many kids of game with it. Practice all you want without breaking the bank. It's also relatively easy and low in cost to suppress if you're in a state that allows ownership of sound suppressors.

Unfortunately a lot of shops are limiting ammo sales to 2 boxes per customer per day during this shortage. Eventually we'll get through this dry spell and you'll be able to stock up on some.
<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?
I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:05 pm

I have my Dad's old Marlin 81DL bolt action, and like it alot. He knew I liked it, so one day he just told me I could have it. My other Marlin needs a recoil buffer, but that's not an expensive fix, just need to get one.
<<

Violaetor

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:38 am

Did they stop selling bricks online? Used to see them for around $20, or a case for $200.
Looking to get something made? Send me a PM!
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:40 am

Violaetor wrote:Did they stop selling bricks online? Used to see them for around $20, or a case for $200.

You might find some places selling them online, but probably not for that cheap anymore. As of the last time I priced it, 22 ammo had nearly doubled in price over the past couple of years and is hard enough to get that many stores no longer sell in bricks or by the case. Instead they sell by the box of 50 and often limit how much they'll sell to any one customer per day.

Some stores have had firearm sales drop off just because no one wants to buy a firearm for self defense or for emergencies and not be able to find a single round of ammo to go with it. The Sportsman's Warehouse chain has taken to keeping some ammo behind the counter to try to keep enough in stock so customers buying a firearm will hopefully be able to buy at least two boxes of ammo to go with it.

Ammo shortages have come and gone, but this is the worst one I've seen in at least 25 years. This could be partly due to hoarding as some people claim on the internet, but I think a big part of the reason is due to the government buying and stockpiling ammo in unprecedented quantities, so there simply aren't enough components in the supply chain to keep up with demand on the civilian side of the marketplace.

Return to Full Metal Jacket Required