FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Exploding Targets - Anyone ever try these?

<<

abroxis

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:38 pm

Exploding Targets - Anyone ever try these?

Sure Shot exploding targets.

These look like a load of fun. Not that expensive considering what you get either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EfP7a_sD6w4
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Exploding targets .Anyone every try these

As near as I can tell, these are a copy of Tannerite, also nicknamed "Billy Bangers". I haven't used the brand you posted so I can't speak for their quality, but I know the guy who invented Tannerite, the original "reactive target" and I've used plenty of those. Tannerite works as advertised. I don't know how well this stuff in your link works. I've seen some imitators that work well, others don't.

To be safe, follow all directions on the website/package. Really. This is a high explosive. It can be safe if used as directed, but can be hazardous if you deviate from those parameters.

As I recall, detonation velocity is around 19,000-20,000 feet per second, but can vary: the bigger the shock it receives, the bigger the bang. So if you shoot it with a 50bmg it will be louder than if you shoot it with a 308. It can also be set off with a blasting cap and is sometimes used as an alternative to commercial blasting agents since it's a binary explosive and there are no restrictive transporting or storage requirements.

http://www.tannerite.com/
<<

Russ

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:55 pm

We stick them inside of pumpkins
we cut the top out then clean some seeds out to fit it in and duck tape the lid back on
try it you will like it
a .223 works pretty good with them
Last edited by Russ on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:57 am, edited 6 times in total.
. Automotive Locksmith
Facts only No BS
Tale the Truth and nothing but the Truth
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:30 pm

@MBI,

I bet you could tell some interesting tales, if you were interested. And I don't mean fiction. You are like a couple of other friends I have, very intelligent and sometimes you are surprised at what they know about.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:52 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:@MBI,

I bet you could tell some interesting tales, if you were interested. And I don't mean fiction. You are like a couple of other friends I have, very intelligent and sometimes you are surprised at what they know about.

Gordon

I'm very boring in real life. Just ask my wife and kids.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:33 pm

I use the same thing about how boriing I am, then my wife and son roll their eyes. Do your wife and kids roll their eyes when you say you are boring, too?

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Altashot

Post Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:43 am

Air guns is a hobby of mine. I have seen but never tried those exploding targets. Ice cubes to me are hard to beat. They shatter like crazy, are cheap and best of all, clean. Nothing to clean up. I don't like a mess and shards of who knows what in the back yard. There is already a mess of lead pellets down range...So, I don't want to add anymore to this environmental damage my hobby is creating. Also, my PCP rifle is already loud enough so, no need for exploding target here.

My $0.02

-I had a girlfriend who once told me shooting was boring...She didn't like "weapons". But that is a different story...I mean history.

M.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:21 am

Altashot wrote:Air guns is a hobby of mine. I have seen but never tried those exploding targets. Ice cubes to me are hard to beat. They shatter like crazy, are cheap and best of all, clean. Nothing to clean up. I don't like a mess and shards of who knows what in the back yard. There is already a mess of lead pellets down range...So, I don't want to add anymore to this environmental damage my hobby is creating. Also, my PCP rifle is already loud enough so, no need for exploding target here.

My $0.02

-I had a girlfriend who once told me shooting was boring...She didn't like "weapons". But that is a different story...I mean history.

M.

You know that the paper rolls of caps can be cut out and taped to sheets of paper so that you get a whole bunch on a sheet. Then you try to hit each with a single shot ;) Makes target shooting more satisfying :D

PS This is pretty much just for air guns since they are not powerful enough to set off binary explosives :(
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Altashot

Post Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:05 pm

Yeah. I read that on The CAF I think. I remember those red caps tapes...I didn't know you could still buy them, I never see them anymore.

M.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:07 pm

I usually find them in the dollar and corner stores in the toy section.

<<

verz

Familiar Face

Post Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:10 am

I have been meaning to try those exploding targets for years.. after buy bullets I usually say "that's enough." I am a cheap skate. Sometimes I like to paint leaf springs with day glow orange and shoot them with the 22. ding,, ding, not near as exciting as explosions but cheap. lol
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:44 am

Yikes! What about ricochets? Those .22s love to bounce as it is.

Gordon
<<

verz

Familiar Face

Post Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:39 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Yikes! What about ricochets? Those .22s love to bounce as it is.

Gordon

Never had problems with ricochets on the leaf springs, the old range I used to go to had metal back stop with "snails" at 15-20yard you would get some ricochet splatter, it never hurt anyone, just annoying and safety glasses are a must.
I think by the time a lead bullet hits a target head on it disintegrates and the ricochet is just splatter flying back at low velocity. I could see shooting at an angle and getting a dangerous size ricochet.
<<

Riyame

Post Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:04 pm

Ricochets happen easier than you think. Our range has a no metal target policy.

An extreme example...

<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:23 pm

great idea with the caps riy. Wonder if it will work with my blow gun ??

Return to Full Metal Jacket Required