FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Newest addition to the family

<<

Arctor

Familiar Face

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Re: Newest addition to the family

Russ wrote:
? would you protect you're family with a gun if trained to use it
there is laws that keep people from getting guns
but the criminal dose not care how they get it
I carry a hand gun everyday and wouldn't leave home with out it and keep one under my pillow
I have gone to classes to defend my self with a gun
and have a concealed carry permit
there is people out there that drive drunk and kill people
but we dont have anti car laws
and how many times have you heard about someone haveing 2 or more dui's
this is the USA we are not some country of a dictator to tale us what we can and cant have
we are a country that everyone trys to get into

I would protect my family with a gun without question. Then again I do not have a history of mental instability like some who purchase them at gun shows etc. You may think that its easy to get your hands on an illegal gun, but the real world is not like the movies. Every nutcase doesn't have access to a black market gun dealer, they do however have access to local gun shows.

No, we don't have "anti-car laws" but we do make it illegal for those people to drive or put breathalyzers on the starters....
<<

Russ

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:05 pm

In Arizona every gun show i go to they do background checks cant get one without it
. Automotive Locksmith
Facts only No BS
Tale the Truth and nothing but the Truth
<<

Arctor

Familiar Face

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:15 pm

Russ wrote:In Arizona every gun show i go to they do background checks cant get one without it

http://www.gunshowundercover.org/
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:59 pm

Arctor wrote:
Russ wrote:In Arizona every gun show i go to they do background checks cant get one without it

http://www.gunshowundercover.org/
Anecdotal. I've been to two different shows, bought a gun at one and they ran a check, friend bought one at another and they ran a check. That is also anecdotal, but you see the point.
Incidentally though:

You may think that its easy to get your hands on an illegal gun, but the real world is not like the movies.
I have had several offers to buy stolen guns throughout my life and even now know at least two people I'm very sure could get me one if I wanted it. And I'm not even in an area where that is common.

Also, that video... "Magazine clip" and Glock 19, similar to a gun used in a shooting...yeah, similar how? They're both guns? they're they're both Glocks? They're both black? Kind of needs some context there. Not to mention that whole thing could VERY easily have been staged. And I don't know the laws there, but that was a private sale. Somebody bought that before this happened and I'd be willing to bet there was a background check at that time.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

Arctor

Familiar Face

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:10 pm

Aedalas wrote:
Anecdotal. I've been to two different shows, bought a gun at one and they ran a check, friend bought one at another and they ran a check. That is also anecdotal, but you see the point.
Incidentally though:

I have had several offers to buy stolen guns throughout my life and even now know at least two people I'm very sure could get me one if I wanted it. And I'm not even in an area where that is common.

If you buy from a dealer yes, but private gun collectors do not have to run background checks. They are suppose to turn away people they think would not pass one, but most do not because that is one less sale for them.

It doesn't surprise me that you have had opportunities to buy guns illegally, seeing that you deal in guns on a fairly regular basis. If you did not deal with guns at all but suddenly wanted to buy one illegally, then finding someone selling them illegally and not at gun show would not be all that easy.
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:27 pm

Arctor wrote:It doesn't surprise me that you have had opportunities to buy guns illegally, seeing that you deal in guns on a fairly regular basis. If you did not deal with guns at all but suddenly wanted to buy one illegally, then finding someone selling them illegally and not at gun show would not be all that easy.
Oddly enough the people that have tried selling them weren't really associated with me enough to know I own guns. I'm not sure where one came from but one was an addict who robbed his dealer so that particular gun was likely stolen at least twice. The guys I'd go to if I ever wanted one now (I don't by the way) have no idea I'm a gun owner. They're just all around shady people. I should clarify a bit here, the town I'm from is like 90% shady people. One of the suburbs was raided by the DEA for oxy sales once, I don't remember the actual percentage but it was around 80% of the entire population was indicted. I got the hell out of there as soon as I could. Just because I know these people does NOT mean I'm anything like them. That town was small though, it was impossible to not know these people.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:46 pm

Finally got around to watching the other two videos on the site you linked and I have a few thoughts on the whole thing. The seller, by the guys statements, know he is committing a crime by selling him the gun. The "buyer" knows he is committing a crime by purchasing said gun (if he were real and not just posing as a guy who can't pass the background check). There are two different people committing two different crimes here, and possibly a third for whoever runs the show and allows it to happen. The problem here isn't the laws, those are in place already. The problem is that they aren't being enforced. I do agree with you that the sale of (and possession, and use, etc.) need regulation, but it doesn't matter how regulated it is if you have criminals (and make no mistake, that is what these people are) ignoring the private sale laws. In the end we're left with the same situation, one criminal is selling another criminal a firearm. This has nothing to do with legal owners like myself who purchase firearms legally.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:30 am

This is the first feedback I have ever heard about these weapons. They are made right here in my home town. I always wondered if they were any good. It's good to hear that folks are happy with them. Enjoy your new "family members".
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

Ragnar

Familiar Face

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:36 pm

I know you're in Ohio so gun laws are a bit on the stricter side, but do you ever carry your Hi-Points concealed/open? I know people who won't go near them with a 10' stick because of reliability issues. I've never had a bad experience with them myself, but the heft alone is enough to rule it out of my carrying rotation.
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:50 pm

Ragnar wrote:I know you're in Ohio so gun laws are a bit on the stricter side, but do you ever carry your Hi-Points concealed/open? I know people who won't go near them with a 10' stick because of reliability issues. I've never had a bad experience with them myself, but the heft alone is enough to rule it out of my carrying rotation.

Ohio is strict? We can conceal with a permit or open carry without. I walked into the store yesterday and walked out with a .45 and a few boxes of ammo in less than 20 minutes. We have both the Castle Doctrine and the Stand Your Ground laws. If we're strict, what is lenient?

I open carry pretty much only when I'm on my way to the range, it beats carrying around extra cases. I have concealed carried the 9mm but often don't bother, it's frustrating how many places have the no firearms signs (because anybody going to rob the place would totally leave their guns in the car if they saw that). As for the reliability issue, there are two things you need to do. For some dumbass reason they paint the feed ramps, it's not the duracoat stuff either, it's just a black paint. You need to sand and polish it because the solvents you use for cleaning soften the paint and it adds a lot of friction. The other thing is the magazines, the lips on them tend to be way too tight and the bullet doesn't pop all the way up, just bend them out slightly with a pair of needle nose pliers. Prior to doing this I would get a failure to feed about once per every two mags. Since I've done this I've not had one in well over 500 rounds. Yes, it is stupid. No, Hi-Point should never have sent products out the door like this. But it is easily fixable and after doing so the guns are as reliable as any other you will find. I would absolutely trust mine in any situation (not the .45 since I haven't shot it yet, that happens tomorrow). As for the weight, the 9mm weighs 27 ounces (765.437 grams), that is hardly the heft HP haters make it out to be, even the .45 only weighs 32 ounces (907.185 grams). The slide is heavier than most, but the polymer frame drops a lot of the overall weight you pick up from that.
<<

Ragnar

Familiar Face

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Aedalas wrote:Ohio is strict? We can conceal with a permit or open carry without. I walked into the store yesterday and walked out with a .45 and a few boxes of ammo in less than 20 minutes. We have both the Castle Doctrine and the Stand Your Ground laws. If we're strict, what is lenient?

I open carry pretty much only when I'm on my way to the range, it beats carrying around extra cases. I have concealed carried the 9mm but often don't bother, it's frustrating how many places have the no firearms signs (because anybody going to rob the place would totally leave their guns in the car if they saw that). As for the reliability issue, there are two things you need to do. For some dumbass reason they paint the feed ramps, it's not the duracoat stuff either, it's just a black paint. You need to sand and polish it because the solvents you use for cleaning soften the paint and it adds a lot of friction. The other thing is the magazines, the lips on them tend to be way too tight and the bullet doesn't pop all the way up, just bend them out slightly with a pair of needle nose pliers. Prior to doing this I would get a failure to feed about once per every two mags. Since I've done this I've not had one in well over 500 rounds. Yes, it is stupid. No, Hi-Point should never have sent products out the door like this. But it is easily fixable and after doing so the guns are as reliable as any other you will find. I would absolutely trust mine in any situation (not the .45 since I haven't shot it yet, that happens tomorrow). As for the weight, the 9mm weighs 27 ounces (765.437 grams), that is hardly the heft HP haters make it out to be, even the .45 only weighs 32 ounces (907.185 grams). The slide is heavier than most, but the polymer frame drops a lot of the overall weight you pick up from that.

Guess I was mistaken about the strictness. It's my understanding that there is a duty to inform Police while carrying and signs do carry legal weight (if sign is posted saying no firearms then it is trespassing to do so), neither of which are true in PA. Honestly I have not carried in Ohio so I haven't looked into those laws like I'm sure you have done. I'm just repeating what I've heard on firearm forums that I frequent.

Glad to see that the reliability issue can be solved, though I tend to agree that they never should have been sent out the door in that state.

Honestly I've enjoyed the Hi-Points I've shot & for the money they aren't a bad firearm. Enjoy the addition!
<<

Russ

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:02 pm

Them no gun signs mean nothing in Arizona
This is what I have learned from class
I still carry in them stores its just a owners decision to post them or not
To me if there posted it says robe me the way i look at it
We have pretty relaxed laws here
concealed carry you don't have to have a permit
but they have permits for concealed carry
I have one it just makes the back ground check go faster and lets you carry some places that don't allow without one
. Automotive Locksmith
Facts only No BS
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:11 pm

The signs do carry legal weight here and you do have to inform police officers if you are carrying. I've only heard that you have to when you get pulled over, not sure about if they just come up and talk to you on the street or something. And Russ, I agree completely, what criminal with intents on robbing a place are going to be deterred by a fucking sign? Those signs have gotten to the point where I don't even carry much now, you have to leave it in the car damn near everywhere you go. Frustrating as hell.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:15 pm

Aedalas wrote:The signs do carry legal weight here and you do have to inform police officers if you are carrying. I've only heard that you have to when you get pulled over, not sure about if they just come up and talk to you on the street or something. And Russ, I agree completely, what criminal with intents on robbing a place are going to be deterred by a fucking sign? Those signs have gotten to the point where I don't even carry much now, you have to leave it in the car damn near everywhere you go. Frustrating as hell.

That is where a big difference in culture between Ohio and Arizona lies. Here the general attitude is "smoke 'em if you got 'em" so to speak. Even Wal-Mart has changed it's tune and has gone so far as to ask people to carry open rather than concealed in the store because it serves as a deterrent. I carry while I'm working and my bosses encourage it. The only reason I want to get a CCW is because Nevada and Arizona are now reciprocal and I'm right on the river and go into Nevada all the time.
<<

Russ

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:44 pm

mdchurchill wrote:
Aedalas wrote:The signs do carry legal weight here and you do have to inform police officers if you are carrying. I've only heard that you have to when you get pulled over, not sure about if they just come up and talk to you on the street or something. And Russ, I agree completely, what criminal with intents on robbing a place are going to be deterred by a fucking sign? Those signs have gotten to the point where I don't even carry much now, you have to leave it in the car damn near everywhere you go. Frustrating as hell.

That is where a big difference in culture between Ohio and Arizona lies. Here the general attitude is "smoke 'em if you got 'em" so to speak. Even Wal-Mart has changed it's tune and has gone so far as to ask people to carry open rather than concealed in the store because it serves as a deterrent. I carry while I'm working and my bosses encourage it. The only reason I want to get a CCW is because Nevada and Arizona are now reciprocal and I'm right on the river and go into Nevada all the time.

the class is down to 2hours now
I took mine when it was a 4 hour class well worth it
. Automotive Locksmith
Facts only No BS
PreviousNext

Return to Full Metal Jacket Required