FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Bullet Trajectory with out any barrel

<<

abroxis

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:39 pm

Bullet Trajectory with out any barrel

Assume a fool sawed the barrel off a .38 revolver flush with the cylinder how straight would the trajectory be between 5 to 10 feet.

At a certain distance does the bullet start to tumble.
<<

geardog32

Familiar Face

Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:47 pm

Re: Bullet Trajectory with out any barrel

I think it would tumble right off the bat because you have no stabilization do to rifling. Before rifling they had mini-balls that were hollow in the rear to produce better flight and before that the were round and tumbling wasn't a problem but with modern ammo with no barrel would be really bad. And if there is no barrel at all to give it any direction at all thats even worse
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:27 pm

geardog32 wrote:I think it would tumble right off the bat because you have no stabilization do to rifling. Before rifling they had mini-balls that were hollow in the rear to produce better flight and before that the were round and tumbling wasn't a problem but with modern ammo with no barrel would be really bad. And if there is no barrel at all to give it any direction at all thats even worse

I agree.

A lot of factors would probably play a part in figuring trajectory: (a) weight of the projectile, (b) type of powder (i.e. fast burning or slow burning), (c) temperature, and (d) humidity of the air.

However, given the distance that you are specifying, the weapon may shoot to point-of-aim out to 3 to 5 ft, but I would assume that any distance greater than 5 ft, the lack of rifling and the factors stated above would have an exponential affect on bullet trajectory.

It would be like shooting with a high powered slingshot.
<<

virul

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:43 pm

I'm no gun expert but i think guns have been made without barrels nicknamed 'pepperpots', they were only designed for extream close range situations like for a secret agent to supprise and enemy in a fistfight. i'm pretty sure like HC says they're not accurate at more than a few feet, and without a barrel backpressure cant build up so you waste a massive amount of the powders energy witch translates to very a weak shot.
I likes my locks like I likes my women, loose and easy to manipulate.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:16 pm

Definitely virul. Leaving aside the trajectory question, the muzzle velocity is going to be crap without any barrel length to speak of. The gunpowder does not all combust instantaneously at the moment of firing. It burns progressively, accelerating the bullet as it travels down the barrel.
<<

geardog32

Familiar Face

Post Mon May 02, 2011 10:21 pm

virul wrote:I'm no gun expert but i think guns have been made without barrels nicknamed 'pepperpots', they were only designed for extream close range situations like for a secret agent to supprise and enemy in a fistfight. i'm pretty sure like HC says they're not accurate at more than a few feet, and without a barrel backpressure cant build up so you waste a massive amount of the powders energy witch translates to very a weak shot.

they are called pepper boxes. They were small multi-barreled guns that were mainly used by gamblers and prostitutes for close range encounters but they had barrels.
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:38 am

In vietnam in 69, we used to throw hundred round belts of linked ammo in trash fires in 55 gallon drums.
when the m60 gunner opens a can of ammo, the ammo is very lightly oiled, then he wears the belt over his shoulder rambo style, and an apc drives by in a cloud of dust, coating the oil, later he comes in to a base and sets the gun down, lays the belt of ammo on a sandbag wall, someone flops a steel pot or entrenching tool on the wall, trucks drive by, and the ammo gradually gets dinged, dirtied and the disintegrating links start to get loose from being stepped on and no gunner ever wants to pick that belt up again, they open another can of ammo.
55 gallon drums with holes shot in the lower part are used to burn cardboard, wood and general trash then teenage soldiers like I was would toss in a belt of unwanted ammo, to watch it pop off like popcorn, its the brass cases that come flying out the top of the can, and occasionaly a hot one will fall back right into the neck of some guys shirt, he really dances. I saw this, well actually participated in the festivities. on hill tops where the adult supervision was from guys in their early twenties, I never saw a serious casualty from throwing 7.62 belts in a drum, its relatively safe if everyone stands back a bit and knows the game. the brass becomes little rockets, the ball never leaves the can. not all the brass comes out the top of the can either, its like firecrackers.
<<

gnarus8429

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:05 pm

Aside from it being a crappy gun now the ATF would loose their minds if they caught you with it. It would be a federal offense that you don't need (85% mandatory serve out). Do not alter a firearm with a cutoff saw in your basement. The actual federal statute is a bit more complex but, its basically the same thing.
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
-Albert Einstein
<<

Josh66

Post Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:20 pm

Is there a minimum (legal) barrel length for a handgun? I didn't think there was...

edit
I think this would be considered a smooth-bore handgun, which would make it an "Any Other Weapon", and require a tax stamp.

Speaking of AOW smooth-bore handguns, I've always wanted a Serbu Super-Shorty...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbu_Super-Shorty
Last edited by Josh66 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

.45cal

Global Moderator

Post Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:33 pm

I know there is here in Canada. Just over 4in
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:39 pm

Josh66 wrote:Is there a minimum (legal) barrel length for a handgun? I didn't think there was...

edit
I think this would be considered a smooth-bore handgun, which would make it an "Any Other Weapon", and require a tax stamp.

Speaking of AOW smooth-bore handguns, I've always wanted a Serbu Super-Shorty...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbu_Super-Shorty

Unless there's been a recent change I don't know about, you're right on the smoothbore handgun being an AOW and there being no minimum barrel length for handguns, under federal law in the US. And I believe a revolver with the barrel entirely removed might qualify as a smoothbore handgun.
As I recall some states have size limitations though, both on the high end (by weight) and the low end (by length).

Minimum barrel length for shotguns is 18" and rifles is 16.5", with a minimum overall length of 26.5" for both.
If I remember right. It's been a while since I've had to look that one up.
It's usually not measured externally, the BATFE normally measures it by closing the breech and inserting a marked dowel into the bore, it has lines at 16.5" and 18".
Yes, I realize that method won't work on revolvers, since under their definition the chamber/cylinder doesn't qualify as part of the barrel. Go figure.
So if you had one of the rare rifles with a revolver cylinder, they'd probably have to measure that one externally.

As gnarus said, it's a very complicated, legal minefield. Making these kinds of modifications can have legal and safety ramifications that an amateur might not realize. This kind of major customization is best left to the pros. Tampering with the serial number is also a BIG no-no.

I've seen people cut them down, then forget to leave enough material to still be able to put a proper crown on the muzzle, and doing so takes you just barely below the minimum, so most gunsmiths I've seen tend to try to stay a half inch above the legal minimum when cutting and recrowning, just in case.

Legal minimums aside, depending on caliber (and in some cases the brand of ammo and/or the type of gunpowder) you can suffer drastic performance losses below certain barrel lengths. Going short can also cause malfunctions in some semi-auto and automatic actions.
<<

Josh66

Post Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:22 pm

MBI wrote:Yes, I realize that method won't work on revolvers, since under their definition the chamber/cylinder doesn't qualify as part of the barrel. Go figure.

Weird.

I've always measured from the bolt face (the way you describe) - always thought that was just the standard way to measure a barrel... Not including the chamber seems kinda odd, but I guess on a revolver it makes sense, since the chamber/cylinder is a completely separate part.

On all of the revolvers I've owned, the stated barrel length was measured from the end of the barrel - the forcing cone, I guess.

Return to Full Metal Jacket Required