FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

My Walther Pistol blew up !

<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:44 am

Re: My Walther Pistol blew up !

elbowmacaroni wrote:Yeah, there's no telling what other parts are weak in that one, or were weakened by the incident. Also ammo ain't cheap...

Sounds like some type of defect in the casting or forging process of the slide. Since I'm not familiar with Walthers, I wonder how their slides are made - cast or forged. But its funny how that thing cracked near the front.

Hey Kid, does that pistol have some type of barrel bushing at the front of the barrel - like a 1911?
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:48 am

Down at the end of the barrel is a attachment, since it's a target pistol it's more of a wieght. It moves and shit, not a great deal, the sight is mounted on it, so when it moves, I assume so does your bullets. All around the pistol is a good concept, it's made on a Smith and Wesson frame, but it certainly isn't made very good, I have now heard that this slide breakage has occured in a few of these pistols, so it may be a known defect. I am not sure how the 1911 was built, but better than this I am sure.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:15 am

the lockpickkid wrote:Down at the end of the barrel is a attachment, since it's a target pistol it's more of a wieght. It moves and Sh!t, not a great deal, the sight is mounted on it, so when it moves, I assume so does your bullets. All around the pistol is a good concept, it's made on a Smith and Wesson frame, but it certainly isn't made very good, I have now heard that this slide breakage has occured in a few of these pistols, so it may be a known defect. I am not sure how the 1911 was built, but better than this I am sure.

The 1911 uses a somewhat tapered barrel bushing around the front end of the barrel, which supports the slide under lockup. Once under recoil, the slide moves back, but the bushing stays in place. As the recoil spring shoves the slide forward after expending the round and ejecting the shell, the slide rides on the bushing and guides it back into place.

On a 1911 the barrel, bushing, and slide fit is critical to its accuracy. The tighter the bushing on the barrel, the better the accuracy - but the more temperamental it becomes. Too tight of a bushing gives you feeding problems and cleanliness of the weapon is really crucial - especially along the barrel.

On most of the gov't issue 45's the barrel bushing is fairly loose compared to some of the highly accurized mega-buck custom 1911 versions. For gov't and military use, it's preferable to sacrifice a little accuracy, but have a weapon that fires every time - all the time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:22 am

That bushing you describe, it's still on the barrel, it slides ok, not the best, it's right under the remaining piece still attached to the gun. It may have hung up and just pulled itself apart.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

regis

Familiar Face

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:46 pm

The slides are made out of zinc, which isn't a very strong metal. I also have a Walther P22. Shooting fine right now. Glad there's no serious damage done.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:56 pm

I didn't know that was zinc. They made a great pistol, they just left out the good quality needed for the long term performance I think. I have shot thousand of rounds with this. I bought a few of these pistols, for the family and I, they were some of the first made when they came out, I wonder if the newer ones have any improvements.
Previous

Return to Full Metal Jacket Required