FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Anti-drill methods

<<

LockManipulator

Post Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:36 pm

Anti-drill methods

What do high security lock have that prevent them from being drilled? And what other types of attacks on a lock can occur and what is done to prevent this by the lock?
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:47 pm

Re: Anti-drill methods

Daggers wrote:What do high security lock have that prevent them from being drilled? And what other types of attacks on a lock can occur and what is done to prevent this by the lock?

some manufacturers use ceramic inserts to protect vital drill points. Medeco has inserts infront of the side bar and a few in front of the pinstacks. Another method used, is utilizing stainless steel pins. ASSA is well known for using stainless steel drivers and keys pins. thats why ASSA twin keys are steel themselves. Brass would be worn down buy the pins.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:52 pm

Lots of different counter measures. Hardened plates and hardened pin inserts are often used. As are ball bearings that just roll about when a drill contacts them. Sneaky!
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:09 pm

mister sour wrote:ASSA is well known for using stainless steel drivers and keys pins. thats why ASSA twin keys are steel themselves. Brass would be worn down buy the pins.
The first part of your post was accurate. I'm pretty sure you've stumbled across some wrong info on the Assa locks though. I know that their twin series keys/pins aren't made of steel, well, the sidebar pins might be. I'll have to check on that... Assa does use hardened inserts in their locks.

A lot of Medecos have steel inserts inside the key pins as well.
<<

Kezo

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:07 pm

Farmerfreak wrote:
mister sour wrote:ASSA is well known for using stainless steel drivers and keys pins. thats why ASSA twin keys are steel themselves. Brass would be worn down buy the pins.
The first part of your post was accurate. I'm pretty sure you've stumbled across some wrong info on the Assa locks though. I know that their twin series keys/pins aren't made of steel, well, the sidebar pins might be. I'll have to check on that... Assa does use hardened inserts in their locks.

A lot of Medecos have steel inserts inside the key pins as well.

I just took apart my ASSA Twin V-10 and tested the parts with a magnet. The only parts that reacted to a magnet were the driver pins and all the springs. The key, master pins, and sidebar were not attracted to the magnet.

Return to Pin Tumbler Locks