FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Knox Box

<<

NNFAK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:02 pm

Knox Box

I had read some stuff on these locks so I went to youtube and on one of the videos was a few guys from the fire department talk about how they tried to get one open for a test and couldn't and then going on to say that they were impossible to get into so I wanted to see if someone had picked one because they seemed to just be talking about beating the hell out of the box and didn't seem to think about someone picking one so I looked it up and some teenagers in a city (sorry I can't remember the city) had picked one and broken into the building and stole over 100,000 dollars worth of stuff and then they got caught a bit later. So I just wanted to know if anyone has picked one of these and what they have in them?

I remember posting something on the Knox padlocks on LP101 a while ago and the only answer I got was that there is no reason for someone to pick these locks because they are used by the fire department so there is no need to get one off of something (I guess the dude didn't understand that I meant picking for fun not that I actually needed to pick one for a job) so I will make sure to say this time that the only reason to do this is for fun.
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:04 pm

Re: Knox Box

Medeco cam lock!!
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:49 pm

Before Medeco they where lever locks and a bit key. I haven't a clue how long ago. I would guess the switch was in the seventies, maybe?
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

NNFAK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:27 pm

KokomoLock wrote:Medeco cam lock!!

Yeah I thought it would be a Medeco. I have yet to pick a Medeco and I don't know too much about different kinds even though I probably should.

The whole Knox Box seems like a good idea if there were no people in the world who wanted to be a total dickhead and steal but they are there and because they are around I wouldn't like the idea of having one of those boxes on my building if I owned one.
<<

quabillion

Familiar Face

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:15 pm

I have seen that the boxes are wired into the building alarm system, so as soon as one is opened that alarm will go off and the cops will be on their way.
I saw this at a building under construction in Austin Texas, and it had a medeco cam lock.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem,
first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes." William Gibson
<<

NNFAK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:50 pm

quabillion wrote:I have seen that the boxes are wired into the building alarm system, so as soon as one is opened that alarm will go off and the cops will be on their way.
I saw this at a building under construction in Austin Texas, and it had a medeco cam lock.

Well that makes more sense. I have seen one on a small gate far from a building it belonged to though and there didn't look to be anyway that it could be connected to the building which is why I thought it wouldn't make much sense to put one on.

Return to Pin Tumbler Locks