FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Got a kryptonite padlock today!

<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:07 am

Got a kryptonite padlock today!

I've always wanted one of these, but never seen any for sale over here. naturally, when I saw this one on ebay I snapped it up like... well, an animal that snaps.

Here it is alongside the Yale which also arrived today. I saw sideshow mick picking one of these and they seem to have weird tapered key pins, so they're very easily overset. Had a quick go at picking it, but I haven't sat down with it properly yet so it remains unpicked so far. :mrgreen:

This thing is BEEFY. It's also pretty damn heavy (and intimidating in general) so I spent most of my picking efforts trying to open this one. I wasn't having any luck and since these are my first locks with removeable cores I figured what the hell, I'll gut it and see what's in there. And here it is:

Close up of the pins:

Never dealt with serrated key pins before, so this should be interesting to practice on. I'm gonna use the core as a training cylinder so I can get used to the feel of these pins. I have a pretty good idea of what I should be doing, since the drivers are spools, I know that when I get out of a false set I need to be careful not to push pins up any further.

Easier said than done though, and the bitting is kinda tricky aswell so if you guys have any input which might help me out a little, I'd love to hear it. I'm gonna practice my ass off on this thing. :mrgreen:
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:40 am

Re: Got a kryptonite padlock today!

here is my input! I am glad I am not you! I would be pissed right about now, I am going to say that it is going to be hard as hell to get it picked! These sorts of locks do nothing but irritate the hell out of me and consume me all day and in my sleep when I can't defeat them! Good luck!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:28 pm

I have one that I bought a year or so ago and I still can't pick it. Mine has hi-lo bitting all the way through and is a bitch.

It gives me ulcers. I hate it - but I love it. It's like having a drunk stripper for a girlfriend.
:x
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:48 pm

This is certainly a confidence booster lol... also, when repinning it I managed to balls up the core and now it's stuck at the 180 position. Go me... this is why I never take locks apart. Don't ask what the hell I was doing because it seemed like a good idea at the time. I've only repinned a couple of rim cylinders, so I really had no idea what the hell I was doing with this thing.

In a nutshell the core is jammed at 180 with all the springs blocking it from turning and there are some drivers in the keyway aswell. I tried pushing everything into the bible to get it to turn, but no dice. I didn't have any kind of comb tool to make this easier, so I got pissed off with it and now the springs are mangled so I'll need a new set of springs (and probably a new core aswell since I can't get the friggin thing apart again to repin it). :(
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:09 pm

Solomon wrote:This is certainly a confidence booster lol... also, when repinning it I managed to balls up the core and now it's stuck at the 180 position. Go me... this is why I never take locks apart. Don't ask what the hell I was doing because it seemed like a good idea at the time. I've only repinned a couple of rim cylinders, so I really had no idea what the hell I was doing with this thing.

In a nutshell the core is jammed at 180 with all the springs blocking it from turning and there are some drivers in the keyway aswell. I tried pushing everything into the bible to get it to turn, but no dice. I didn't have any kind of comb tool to make this easier, so I got pissed off with it and now the springs are mangled so I'll need a new set of springs (and probably a new core aswell since I can't get the friggin thing apart again to repin it). :(

Oh you poor bastard. Unfortunately, these Kryptonites share a common trait with the American series of padlocks - you can rotate the plug 360 degrees and the spring-loaded driver pins pop out of the bible - jamming the lock.

I've done this twice - once when taking a core apart and the other when I slammed the shackle on the picked lock (with plug rotated and not set back).

You're lucky that the core was out when you did it. You can always get a new core. If it was in the lock and you slammed the shackle - brother you'd have a new paperweight on your desk.

And don't try the comb pick trick. I currently have a nice American barrel lock paperweight with a spun plug and a comb pick sticking out of the ass end.
:x

008.JPG
009.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:24 pm

Will an American core fit into this? If somebody knows and can post here, I will happily send you an American core, I also have some Master cores. Also just to reitterate, comb picks suck ass, if you really like a lock, don't stick a comb pick into it, these picks are novelty items at best, they just plain don't work in anything that is made with integrity. Also, work on trying to pick everything up in there and push it up while wiggling the plug, I have heard of people salvaging these from this state of disrepair, although, I have not been able to and I as well have more than one paperweight! Riff or Foo I can't remember (someone) had one of these (American) stuck the other day and managed to fix it.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:30 pm

Haha... I'll keep that in mind, thanks hallis. :mrgreen:

I guess there's no way to retrieve those 3 spools that are in there then? I really want them back, guess if I get a new core I can bung it in a vise and drill it out to retrieve them. I'll take it to the locksmiths and see if he can get it apart for me first, if not I'll see about getting a new core.

Kid, the American padlocks look like they use a very similar core although I'm pretty sure the profile is different. Kryptonite are made by Ingersoll so I have no idea what the profile actualy is. Anybody know?

Also, on comb tools... I was talking about using one to get everything into the bible in order to get the core apart again without making a balls of the springs. I'd never use them to actually pick a lock, as the only ones they really work on are easily picked anyway. If not, I have regular old shims which will do the job nicely. ;)
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:42 pm

the key profile would be different I would say, but the core itself may fit. If you can't salvage the core let me know if the American will fit. I will give you one. If you had to and were careful you could get those spools out if you wanted them with a dremel, they may even fit in the American core if you find out it would work.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:57 pm

That's a very kind offer, thanks Kid! Although if the key profile is different then it won't work with the original keys, which would really suck. I sent an email to kryptonite to see if they can supply replacement cores, I'm sure they can... but if not, I'll get hold of one somehow. :mrgreen:
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:38 pm

YES!

I was able to hoke some of the tangled springs out of there with a hook pick and eventually the plug freed up enough that I was able to yank it out of there - I took some wiper insert, put a little bend in one end then fed it through the back of the plug. Pulled it from the other side with pliers and it came right out! I lost a couple of drivers but they'll turn up... now I just need to nip down the locksmiths and see if he has any spare springs I can use. :mrgreen:
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:59 pm

You are lucky as hell! Nice springs you got there!! I don't recommend reusing those, unless it's for dental floss!
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:10 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:You are lucky as hell! Nice springs you got there!! I don't recommend reusing those, unless it's for dental floss!

Luck? Pah! It was pure, unadulterated skill. (woohoo)

And hey, terminators gotta floss too y'know.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:36 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:You are lucky as hell! Nice springs you got there!! I don't recommend reusing those, unless it's for dental floss!

Dental floss? Nope. I think I've seen something similar looking in a shower drain. :shock:
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:52 pm

Solomon wrote:YES!

I was able to hoke some of the tangled springs out of there with a hook pick and eventually the plug freed up enough that I was able to yank it out of there - I took some wiper insert, put a little bend in one end then fed it through the back of the plug. Pulled it from the other side with pliers and it came right out! I lost a couple of drivers but they'll turn up... now I just need to nip down the locksmiths and see if he has any spare springs I can use. :mrgreen:

I scewed up with my first american lock. I had it all apart and while checking out how everything works with my own eyes (instead of reading about it) I accidently turned the plug and stuff got caught up. And I knew better after being warned over and over lol. ...Anyway, I fixed the mine the same way you did. took a long hook reached it and yank the springs out. Completely ruining them. Then taking a piece of something and pushing the pins out.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:40 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:Dental floss? Nope. I think I've seen something similar looking in a shower drain. :shock:

8-)

Riff wrote:I scewed up with my first american lock. I had it all apart and while checking out how everything works with my own eyes (instead of reading about it) I accidently turned the plug and stuff got caught up. And I knew better after being warned over and over lol. ...Anyway, I fixed the mine the same way you did. took a long hook reached it and yank the springs out. Completely ruining them. Then taking a piece of something and pushing the pins out.

And I'm sure you never made the same mistake again! I'll be much more careful in future, you can bet on that.
Next

Return to Pin Tumbler Locks