FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

tension wrench blocker?

<<

douchebag

Post Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:11 pm

tension wrench blocker?

I have this chinese padlock (ha, I got it at walmart-2 for 7 bucks). So i get it home and near the bottom of the keyhole there's this "tit" (sorry Stacey don't know what else to call it) that prevents the wrench from reaching the bottom of the lock . The key is grooved of course so it just slides on down to the bottom. So I guess my question is... must the wrench sit all the way on the bottom? :oops:
<<

bezza1

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:22 pm

Re: tension wrench blocker?

douchebag wrote:I have this chinese padlock (ha, I got it at walmart-2 for 7 bucks). So i get it home and near the bottom of the keyhole there's this "tit" (sorry Stacey don't know what else to call it) that prevents the wrench from reaching the bottom of the lock . The key is grooved of course so it just slides on down to the bottom. So I guess my question is... must the wrench sit all the way on the bottom? :oops:

can you poast a pic :?: :?: :?:
keep going dont look back allways achive your goals
and follow your dreams................
<<

douchebag

Post Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:25 pm

Should have added that I can't post a picture. Could have added that I should have bought a better lock. Master seems to be pretty popular.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:26 pm

I think your talking about a "Ward" does this slide down a channel in the key when you insert it? In locks that have these in the bottom you sometimes use your tension wrench in the top of the keyway, just make sure it doesn't mess with your pins. I hope this is what you were talking about!!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

.45cal

Global Moderator

Post Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:03 pm

lol Bezza just wants to see pics of "tits"

To answer your question no the tension wrench does not have to go all the way into the cylinder just enough to turn is enough.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:15 pm

Sounds like you're talking about warding. All locks have warding in the keyway - some more than others. They're like this to restrict movement of pick tools, and also to stop incorrect key blanks being inserted. You can put the tensioner wherever you want, as long as it does two things... 1) provides a nice even torque so the plug rotates smoothly and 2) allows your pick enough room to get at the pins. Simple as that.

Bottom of keyway tension (ie. opposite to where the pins are) is fine for most locks, since only a small amount of movement is needed to lift the pins to their correct heights. Of course some locks will have hi-lo bittings and need more room to angle the pick, so of course it's better to have the wrench at the same side as the pins to ensure you have most room possible... but in the majority of cases it really doesn't matter.
<<

douchebag

Post Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:06 am

As always "thanks".
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:24 am

douchebag wrote:As always "thanks".

Thaaaaaat's what we're here for! :mrgreen: