FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

UPSIDE DOWN PIN TUMBLE PICKING

<<

MANDELBROT27

Familiar Face

Post Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:29 pm

UPSIDE DOWN PIN TUMBLE PICKING

OK which way should you pick a pin tumble barrel.i see people picking them on you tube and they hold the barrel upside down (to let the key pin drop away ?) or should you pick them as they would be installed in the door ? Does it have any effect on the ease of picking? Would this have a effect on competition scoring?
IT'S NOT GUNS THAT KILL,IT'S PEOPLE.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: UPSIDE DOWN PIN TUMBLE PICKING

I always pick locks as they are installed in a door, that way you are prepared and know how to pick them when you need to pick a mounted lock. I see people pick them both ways though, I don't think it matters.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:16 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:I always pick locks as they are installed in a door, that way you are prepared and know how to pick them when you need to pick a mounted lock. I see people pick them both ways though, I don't think it matters.

If you guys in the UK looked at the door locks in the US - you'd say we installed them upside down - and vice versa.

Personally, I don't really think it matters - except in the case of a lock that has really compressed springs due to abuse. In such a scenario - I think the pins may get hung up and have trouble dropping down. Turning the lock 180 degrees may help get the pins down.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:28 pm

Yep, I never thought of that, UK installs there locks with pins on the bottom, some of us redneck folk out in this country do the same!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

eeze

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:11 am

hello, in cyprus 90% of locks are installed pins down this makes picking a bit more difficult because gravity is working against you and you have to rely on the springs to split the pins as they are forced up instead of dropping threw gravity, this is a problem especially when you epg the lock you need a lot less tension.
<<

quaiboi

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:09 am

lol....in my country....it's both...sometimes it's up side down sometimes it's right side up.......but for me...i practice picking both ways on a vice grip
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:00 am

the lockpickkid wrote:Yep, I never thought of that, UK installs there locks with pins on the bottom, some of us redneck folk out in this country do the same!

We mainly use euro cylinders, which are mounted with pins at the bottom, but rim cylinders (with the pins at the top) are also common, especially on older houses. You don't see rim cylinders on newer developments much, although I've seen a good few with keyed alike euro profile and rim deadbolts on the front door. All depends on the area.

To answer mandelbrots question, there is no way you "should" pick them. It's all personal preference although I always pick them as they would be mounted. I actually asked the same question a long time ago thinking that if the pins were at the top it would be easier to pick because the pins would be less likely to overset. As it happens, this is not the case. :p

The only difference is the kind of feedback as you roll over the pins. As you know, when pins are set, they lose their spring resistance. If the pins are at the top they will feel loose, likewise they will feel hard when mounted at the bottom.
<<

rosindubh37713

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:41 am

Here in the UK you will normally find all Euro Locks are installed with the bible facing downwards!
Although when ever I pick a Euro in my hand I will hold the lock facing upwards, so im picking up on the pins rather than pushing down!
I should really be picking the other way around I suppose.
Check out my Picking Videos @ http://uk.youtube.com/RosinDubh37713

Return to Pin Tumbler Locks