FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

How to service door locks - Russwin Model 68

<<

Malekal

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:48 pm

How to service door locks - Russwin Model 68

8 Steps to open.
Description to follow :)

1 First off, look at the picture closely. there is a wire spring just atop the core.
That spring is retaining a clip that is holding the second knob in place. Use a flat screwdriver to push the clip forward and the knob goes off.

2 Now that the knob is off, take notice of the two screws holding the mecanism together... Don't unscrew them yet! Look at picture 4!!
Unless you feel like putting back springs in place and/or the mecanism altogether, use something to hold the mecanism together as when you remove the screws, it WILL pop out.

3 Now that the mecanism is fastened, remove the two screws. You will notice there is a clip, similar to the one holding the first knob, that is holding the second knob. It was also held in place by the two screws that hold the mecanism.
Pull it aside with the screwdriver until the knob comes off. this one is not held by a spring, so don't go all out on it.

4 View of the mecanism held together by a vice.

5 Now, the knob holding the lock is free. Remove all components in order until you reach picture 6.

6 Remove the giant circlip gently and remove what it held in place. Be carefull, the small rod within may fall: remove it horizontally.

7 You can now access the cylinder freely.

8 Service the lock as needed

9 Reverse the steps to rebuild it.

All set!
Malekal: I guess I'll try... I thought you had to go light
xeo: you do whatever the lock wants
<<

Malekal

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:41 am

Re: How to service door locks - Russwin Model 68

Updated
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:48 pm

Dude this is great. Please keep posting every time you service a lock. I had a bunch of these but my only interest was the core. Having zero knowledge of how these work, taking it apart was fine until a certain point then brute force stepped in. More of these posts and next time I wont need to destroy the full handle/lever set.
<<

Malekal

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:41 pm

Papa Gleb wrote:Dude this is great. Please keep posting every time you service a lock. I had a bunch of these but my only interest was the core. Having zero knowledge of how these work, taking it apart was fine until a certain point then brute force stepped in. More of these posts and next time I wont need to destroy the full handle/lever set.

thank you for the good words, :) Will do.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:18 pm

Nicely written and illustrated Mal. Keep up the great work I'm really enjoying this as there's always little tricks you can pick up and it's nice to see knobsets I haven't come across yet.

P.S. I've come to realize Canadians well Ontarians anyway don't give a hoot about security and tend to buy the cheapest crap out there. Hell most of us rural types don't even lock our doors.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

kabbyman

Post Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:41 pm

Fantastic photos and explanation, both Corbin and Russwin are tricky I don't think Ive worked on one of those for say 15 years. Great information.

Return to Pin Tumbler Locks