FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

American lock Series 700 HELP

<<

USApicker

Familiar Face

Post Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:35 pm

American lock Series 700 HELP

I have an older american series 700 lock from 1994. the shackle spring is very weak and I would like to replace it. to do this, I would obviously need to remove the shackle which I can't figure out how to get out. usually with american series 700, there is a set screw on the back of the lock which allows the shackle to be removed.

Only problem is that the screw doesn't have those indentations that would be there if it was and allan screw/phillips/regular/torx.

I tried the other method of removing the shackle that works on the 1105's.....etc, but that didn't work either.

can anyone help me?
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:02 pm

Re: American lock Series 700 HELP

Wiz aka Awol70 is the resident expert on this subject. Stick around and I'm sure he'll respond to your query.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:22 pm

USApicker wrote:I have an older american series 700 lock from 1994. the shackle spring is very weak and I would like to replace it. to do this, I would obviously need to remove the shackle which I can't figure out how to get out. usually with american series 700, there is a set screw on the back of the lock which allows the shackle to be removed.

Only problem is that the screw doesn't have those indentations that would be there if it was and allan screw/phillips/regular/torx.

I tried the other method of removing the shackle that works on the 1105's.....etc, but that didn't work either.

can anyone help me?

does the set screw look as if it has been "pressed" in?
if so, it may be non-serviceable
some pics would help.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

USApicker

Familiar Face

Post Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:28 am

it doesn't look pressed in, but it deos look like whatever's there isn't recessed as much as a normal series 700 screw. the head of this "screw" is chrome instead of the ususal black, and it is also dome-shaped, kind of like someone hammered a ball bearing in there.
I'll put up a picture soon.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:57 pm

USApicker wrote:it doesn't look pressed in, but it deos look like whatever's there isn't recessed as much as a normal series 700 screw. the head of this "screw" is chrome instead of the ususal black, and it is also dome-shaped, kind of like someone hammered a ball bearing in there.
I'll put up a picture soon.

ok, i will be looking forward to seeing pics.
was this a new or used lock?
i am thinking you may have a riveted shackle retaining bolt.
i have a lock that is riveted in this way...
also may be aftermarket mickey-mouse reassembly ...
good luck.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

Return to Pin Tumbler Locks