FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

How is a solid bodied pad lock made?

<<

twenglish 1

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:57 pm

How is a solid bodied pad lock made?

Now i am not sure this is in the correct forum, but i have been wondering this for a long time, how is a solid bodied pad lock made? i have examined a few of these, looked down into the hole where the shackle latches, no sign of a screw or anything, so how are these darn things put together? my guess is that the solid body is machined and the internal parts are inserted through the hole for the lock itself, then the lock is inserted and held in with some sort of permanant latch that holds it in? i have a herculock 900, this is the lock was looking at when writing this, the plug is inserted into a hole just big enough for the plug itself, i cant seem to understand how it is put together, if anyone knows how to remove the plug from this type of lock i would like to know, i havent been able to find any info online
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:01 pm

Re: How is a solid bodied pad lock made?

Usually you can see the pin chambers drilled into the sides of the lock body then plugged and/or retainer pin(s) through the face or back side. Admittedly there's some that have me scratching my head as to how they are assembled.

ETA: You can sometimes see the plugs for the holes where they inserted the shackle dogs also. try polishing the sides of the lock and you may be able to discern the plugs.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:18 pm

They start with a solid chunk of brass.

They drill through the top for the locking dogs or ball bearings and the pin chambers. Then they drill the shackle holes and lock plug hole etc.

The lock plug has a slot in it that is held in place either by a screw or a pin. The plug is inserted, pins and springs are put in and then there are brass plugs put into the top of each chamber. Those an the pin for the plug are all ground flat to match the lock.

Here you can see one example. The pin on the left holds the shackle in place.

The holes

The pins and caps. The long one on the left is for the lock plug. This is the pin type that is just driven in.

Here is a Corbin padlock. This uses a screw type pin for the lock plug.

And a close up of the chamber plugs.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

twenglish 1

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:31 pm

Wow i would have never been able to guess that was how it was done. upon very close examination of the lock i have i am able to make out the plugs for the pins and the plug that covers over where the shackle stopper is inserted, its pretty impressive they do such a good job at hiding those, thanks for the replys!

Return to Pin Tumbler Locks