FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

A master lock is giving me trouble!!!

<<

twenglish 1

Post Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:53 pm

A master lock is giving me trouble!!!

I never thought i would say this, but i can not seem to pick this 5 pin commercial grade master lock! i can open my standard master lock just by jiggling the :snakerake: around in it. I have tried picking this commercial one numerous times only to fail every time, i dont believe there are any security pins in it, i think my problem might be that my tension wrench binds up with the base of the keyhole, and also it seems that the first pin has a very low set point and i cannot seem to get the pick to the back without over setting this first pin, i know for a fact that the tension wrench is causing the problem, it has caused the same problem on a few other locks, unfortunetly it is the widest tension tool in the kit i bought, will a wider tension tool solve this problem? and what tips do you have on getting past that first pin with the low set point? it seems like a smaller short hook should work, can anyone else offer any input on these issues?
<<

bearbones

Post Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:58 pm

Re: A master lock is giving me trouble!!!

have you tried a :prybar: in the top of the keyway? or perhaps find a nice stiff piece of metal and home brew a very narrow shafted :shorthook: and ease it to the back of the lock paying extra attention on keeping the pick as low in the lock as possible.
<<

twenglish 1

Post Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:07 pm

This is definetly the next tool i will buy :prybar: i believe it will also help with the brinks disk lock i am struggling with, as i am just using the standard L shaped tensioner and it always slips through the gap at base of the keyway and binds against the lock body, which i am assuming is the whole purpose for this gap
<<

Neilau

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:55 am

Hi Twengklish.

What model is the Master?

Sorry if I have given the impression that all Masters are a “Piece of Cake”. A lot of people got started in this hobby by picking an easy Master but some Masters can really put up a fight.

You said that you needed a wider torsion tool. Is that wider and/or thicker. You should try making your own torsion tools and building up a good set.

The pry bar (TOK) tools are very good in some situations but not all. Like all tools, different situations call for different tools. The snake, rake and Bogs are usually the first tools that are tried as they will pop a lot of locks but again, not all. There is no magic pick.

Part of the learning experience is figuring out what pick to use.

Have you tried a small half diamond on your Master? Try inserting a small HD or hook all the way into the lock before applying torsion and start picking from the back. Some locks made to sloppy tolerances need to be picked in a particular order.

It’s all a matter of trying things out and learning to read what the lock is telling you. This will come with practice.

Keep at it.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

twenglish 1

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:52 am

It's a no. 81 commercial grade, says five pin tumbler around a V on the base
<<

JamesOzment1

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:38 am

I use windshield wiper inserts bent with short tensioner side.I use it in top of the keyway on stubborn master locks.try zipping the lock back to front and sweeping the pick handle to a high steep angle as you near the front of the lock.for security pins narrow the profile of one of your picks to spp it .also try stiffer tension it will help to not overset that deep cut front pin.

Return to Pin Tumbler Locks