FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Lock library?

<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed May 02, 2012 2:07 pm

Lock library?

Just a thought, I was thinking about a lock library for keypicking. Simple beginner locks that members could check out, they pay the shipping and get to practice on the locks. Kind of like Netflix but for locks.
I would be willing to throw in for this library but I guess the problem would be who gets to be the librarian? Maybe a dollar a lock donation to the site so that it benefits everyone?
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed May 02, 2012 2:13 pm

Re: Lock library?

I like this idea

i feel as if it will end badly... and locks will be taken... but if people donate locks they do not care about... it will not matter...

ill donate whatever I can find laying about that I have forgot to sell ;)
Last edited by LocksmithArmy on Wed May 02, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

Koguntetzu

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 02, 2012 2:22 pm

great idea. it would be awesome to see something like that set up since im still really new to the lock scene
Stoop not down unto the Darkly-Splendid World; wherein continually lieth a faithless Depth, and Hades wrapped in clouds, delighting in unintellible images, precipitous, winding, a black ever-rolling Abyss; ever espousing a Body unluminous, formless and void.

-The Chaldæan Oracles of Zoroaster
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed May 02, 2012 3:25 pm

LocksmithArmy wrote:I like this idea

i feel as if it will end badly... and locks will be taken...

Perhaps a deposit?
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Wed May 02, 2012 3:34 pm

you got support from me for donations too :whip:
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed May 02, 2012 3:36 pm

Aedalas wrote:
LocksmithArmy wrote:I like this idea

i feel as if it will end badly... and locks will be taken...

Perhaps a deposit?

Well I had locks in mind to be donated that way they would not be a bad loss if they never came back. I think paying for the shipping and a simple $1 donation to the site to keep it simple. Just my thoughts.
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed May 02, 2012 3:39 pm

I like the idea, and I'd love to donate some locks, but I'd be pretty hesitant knowing anybody could just walk off with them that easy.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

LockManipulator

Post Wed May 02, 2012 4:12 pm

have them pay for at least half of the lock's cost and then return the money when they return the lock
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed May 02, 2012 4:42 pm

This is a wonderful idea!! Will it be tricky business? SURE!... lol... but collectively, I think we
could work out the 'kinks' and come up with the best case scenario as to how to set it all up.

And imagine the payoff! People being able to experience locks and get a head start into this beautiful hobby.
Limited funds can definetely hold you back at first. I would've LOVED something like this when I started :)

I would suggest not rushing it. Instead, let the ideas filter in.... then go from there.

I'd be more than happy to throw in some Master 140's and some Americans.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

whizdumb

Post Wed May 02, 2012 5:14 pm

Like Oldfast said, taking this slow would be the key to it's sucess.

I would like to propose my ideas on how to start this up.

1. We need to establish interest in this idea to show that it is worth pursuing.
2. To start this up we would obviously need to designate someone as the librarian. It must be someone trustworthy and quite likely someone with a stake in the website.
3. Start up locks and funds would be a necessary third step.
- A non-refundable subcription fee could be imposed as a contribution to the site. Something like ($25-$35) probably won't break the bank.
- If you don't have the funds or would wish to contribute locks in place, then a resonable assessment of the approximate value could be made by the "librarian" and accepted instead of money.
- An additional non-refundable fee could be payed to increase the maximum number of locks that may be "checked out" at one time. So if you want to combine shipping and practice on more locks at once that could be arranged.
- A per transaction $1 (or more) fee plus shipping would allow you to check out any available lock.
4. Obviously a brand new thread maybe even a sub-section must be made to organize the locks and make them available for "checking out".
5. As with any effective library, a time limit would need to be placed on the term for which a member could keep the locks. If an extension were to be requested then an additional $1 check out fee could be used to extend the term.
6. If a lock is kept too long then the member could either ask to pay the value of it of forfeit their membership/subscription to the library.

Just some start-up ideas. Throw them around but please do not criticize me for my thoughts. It took me a little while to come up with this list so please be respectful of that.

Happy Picking,
Whizdumb
Whizdumb81 wrote:You can't handle the DCAP
xe0 wrote:how about a peterson gov steel baseball bat so i can thwap motherfuckers
ecksdee wrote:To learn to pick locks is to learn how to speak a language spoken only in whispers and riddles.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HobbyPicker
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Wed May 02, 2012 8:33 pm

Well, personally, I gotta say, I'm not really keen on the idea deposits and of becoming an escrow service...

HOWEVER, the concept has merit and I agree with the rough draft guidelines that whizdumb has posted. Obviously, that is just a starting point (but a damn good one) and the system would have to be very specific about every detail and eventuality (as much as humanly possible, and with clauses for managing disputes, etc...)

The idea is really quite a good one and would allow people to pick locks that they'd never otherwise have the opportunity to play with.

Keep this conversation going, let's see where it leads!
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed May 02, 2012 10:04 pm

Im down. I have locks to donate as well.
<<

lockpickfan

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 03, 2012 1:53 am

I can send some european practice locks for you if you want... :)

Return to What Would You Like To See?